Sponsored by: DP Tuner

LED mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 PM
pin8246
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED mistake

Going to go ahead and throw this out there.... I'm an idiot.

Run down of the truck then I will get to the 3 hour 5 LED dash change.

2000 F250 4x4

Interior
Double Din
Isspro quad pillar
Isspro dimmer
toggle for HID fog lights
All work, and wiring done by myself

Now I'm posting this incase anyone else runs into this switching to LED dash bulbs. Also on this note, the only ones I changed were the 5 194 bulbs in the dash, still looking for the 37's for cheaper since there's so many of them.

Well lets paint the scene for you guys. I've been putting off doing this just for the fact that I work so many hours, after work I'm tired. So I get done working early today and I think to myself, "hey I got the bulbs, lets switch them out real quick". Somewhat in my defense I've been behind there numerous times, so I can do this blind if needed.

After pulling the dash off another brilliant idea struck me, "I got rid of the HID fogs the other day, lets remove the toggle and wire it in to the factory headlight switch". 00 don't come with fog lights for anyone new here, I installed a 01 bumper on it because mine had a dent so why not use them. Well off with a smile to get this done, and get inside and get to drink a beer in a success.

Dash cover is removed, dash is pulled, lights switched out, wiring for the fogs are done. That was quick, but let me double check this to make sure it all works before I button it back up.

Lights on, check
Fogs on, check
I've got skills.
Dash lights..... Dash lights..... hello.

Dash comes back out, pull the bulbs open the door, plug them all in to the door to make sure there working. Yep there working, lets try this again.

Lights, check
Fogs, check
Dash, somewhat check

That's when I remembered that LED lights have a positive and negative side. Pop my hand behind it, find the ones not lighting and switch them to working.

Lights, check
Fogs, check
LED dash bulbs, check.

As I'm thinking to myself "that didn't take long, more beer for me" I'm putting the dash back together. Get everything all buttoned up, start the truck, shut the shop doors, and flip the lights just to double check.

Lights, check
Fogs, check
Dash, check

Wait a minute, the lights for the Isspro gauges aren't coming on. Twist the little Isspro dimmer switch and nothing.

Garage open, take it all back apart, check all the wiring, bulbs and everything. Cant find a mistake anywhere so I plug back in the headlight switch and nothing. Get under the dash and check the Isspro dimmer to make sure nothing was wrong with it and nothing was.

At this point I've convinced myself the LED's are causing this issue, and pull them out and put the 194's back in and flip the switch and nothing again. At this point I'm ready to just call it a day because obviously my mind is lost somewhere, or thinking about that beer to much. So I cut the wiring for the fogs loose, put the LED's back in, and flick the switch. This time the dash and the gauges light up, but the gauges are flickering.

Now I'm thinking to myself, hmmmmm the fog light wiring must be interfering, but let me double check. Make a temp splice back the way I just had it, and flipped the switch, and everything works except the flicking Isspro gauges.

My mind, well if the fogs weren't doing it, then it must be the LED's, so I remove them and put the 194's back in. Moment of truth, flip the switch, dash lights on, gauge lights on but still flickering.

At this point, I'm about to walk inside and come to the expertise of this forum, and figure out the problem. Walk inside, grab a beer, sit down to write up a post, and it hits me like a bag of bricks.

Go back outside, put a permanent splice for the fogs, hook up the LED's making sure there in the right way to light, butt everything back up, crank the truck and flip the lights.

Fogs lights, check
Dash lights, check
Isspro gauges, check

Moral of this story is, if its giving way to much trouble for some reason or other, check the very very small things first.

In my case, the dimmer adjuster on the headlight switch and not the Isspro dimmer.

And that boys and girls is how you take 3 hours to change out 5 dash bulbs.
Let the laughing at me commence.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yes sir...I can top that. My drivers door latch was sticking so I ordered a new one from Ford....50 bucks. Friday was the hottest day of the year so far why not change out this latch? Two hours it takes me. Sweat pouring off me. I,m still in a brace from surgery so I don't have full use of my left arm yet. I finally get the latch into place and sure enough it was the outside door handle sticking...inside where the spring is. Fifteen seconds of lube later and it's fixed.

Don't tell my wife I pissed away fifty bucks! You,re not alone!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:05 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1 question, how long does it take you to get the dash off now?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 AM
pin8246
Elder User
Originally Posted by cps
1 question, how long does it take you to get the dash off now?
Oh its an easy job, did it many many times before this so it should have been a breeze. But my mind wasnt working yesterday, so the rest is history. Haha

Old 06-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You're talkin' to the guy that can't keep 8 injector bolts twisted down. I just checked them today, after many hours on the road last weekend. They're starting to behave on their own now, but I've got it down to 30 minutes hood up to hood down per VC (with just the tools under the back seat). This is from repeatedly practicing the procedure for 8 months.

How about the time I bent the power steering pulley while trying to remove it? How about the time I spent a full week replacing cups (while making brass wool)? Nope... you have intense competition to get a laugh (of ridicule) out of me.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 PM
94WhiteF250
Senior User
Hey Tugly wanna walk me through getting the passenger VC off? Im thinking I would like to replace those glow plugs soon. Looks like a real PITA to get off.

BTW we all make dumb mistakes, it will happen lol

Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 AM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
easy, swivel sockets, or a ratcheting wrench from the passenger side wheel well