1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 6.2L pauses when I stomp on gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 PM
CAPTAIN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 6.2L pauses when I stomp on gas?

Bought my 2011 F250 6.2L brand new and have had issues with it accelerating since new. I had it in once and they replaced the mass air I believe.
When I merge onto the highway for example and give it some good gas (not really stomping on it) it down shifts and pauses like it trying to figure out what gear it wants to be in, then it picks a gear and the RPM's rev high, but then sometimes it will do the same thing again and then finally take off. If I completely lay into the throttle, it revs high and drops into a gear, then comes back out and drops into another gear, then does it yet again.
Not a fun situation to be in when big rigs are barreling down on you in the right lane!

I work 6 days a week and a lot of doubles, so my one day off is usually spent running errands and dropping my truck off all day with the possibility of leaving it for two days just isn't viable, so I hate to bring it in for them to tell me it's fine.

Anyone else experience this type of issue?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
sounds like the normal drive by wire crud that vehicles use today. The throttle pedal runs off wires now not a cable so the computer takes a sec to decide how much your pushing down and takes it from there, there is always a lag in factory form and most aftermarket tuners can almost remove all the delay.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
sounds like the normal drive by wire crud that vehicles use today. The throttle pedal runs off wires now not a cable so the computer takes a sec to decide how much your pushing down and takes it from there, there is always a lag in factory form and most aftermarket tuners can almost remove all the delay.
I have the same problem with my car. Seems like the transmission computer is programmed for fuel economy or comfort over everything else. I push down semi-fast and it will drop down one speed and then go not too long after. I push down too fast and it will drop down two gears, take forever doing it and then go crazy fast for about .1 seconds until it needs to upshift. Really annoying.

My "truck" also an Acura; same year I can stomp on the gas and it will always go right now; either in the gear it's in or sometimes drop down one really fast.

The signal from the pedal to the computer is as instant as a wire would be. The processing time is also almost instant to any human. I think the delay is built-in to make sure that you are really wanting this and not just reacting to something; got over a bump or whatever else.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 PM
6.2gasser
Senior User
Sounds to me like the "drive by wire" crap and a tranny issue.
Here's some reading for you.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-problems.html

Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like you may need to take it in..Something isn't right. True there is a lag with the new drive by wire but not like you are describing.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I've had my '11 in for same issue, dealer blames it on the learning trans and says its fine. I guess the trans records what rpm it shifted at the last 5 times, so the one time you stomp it, it gets confused... That's what my dealer told me anyway...

Old 05-27-2013, 05:25 PM
radar_ridr
Senior User
I think there is something wrong if there is an actual throttle response delay. With my '12 I can feel the engine respond immediately to the change in pedal position, but it IS "resistant" to downshifting (it's always trying to save mpg's) so I have to really give it the spurs to get it to downshift, then it drops two gears and really moves out. This is why I like the high-gear lockout capability of the TorqShift. A lot of the time on hilly / curvy roads, or when expecting the need for quick response, I keep 6th or even 5th locked out. In 4th the throttle response and acceleration are almost immediate. It only drops to 3rd if I really stomp on it... and then it really tears out. I think you could get a better determination of your actual throttle response by testing while driving slow, with 6th, 5th, and even 4th locked out, get it at about 2,000 rpm and then tap the throttle, removing any influence of the tranny in the feel of the throttle response. Quick response then would seem to really point to a problem with the programmed control of the tranny.

Also FWIW as far as the "learning" transmission goes, I drive like an old man I guess; I mean i don't stomp on it too often - streets are too short around here. With just about the lightest configuration you can have for this engine/trannny (supercab XL shortbox), I can only ever use WOT, or close to it, for a short time - 70 or 80 mph comes up really quick... I do have to push the pedal pretty far to get a downshift, but it never seems delayed by trying to figure out which gear to shift to. It just downshifts and goes.

Upshifts at WOT are what seem slow to me - it takes maybe 1/2 a second while it cuts the throttle, hisses while changing gears, then opens the throttle back up and goes. Not like a car which just jumps to the next gear. But I am getting used to this and just figuring it is normal for such a heavy duty transmission.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:02 AM
TangoChuck
New User
Captain....I have the same 2011 F-250, 6.2 L and infrequently am having the same acceleration hesitation you described. Can you give me an update on the issue and if you were able to get a fix?

Thanks,

Tom ***
TomCoxWCG@msn.com

Old 09-04-2015, 05:10 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Mine never got better and Ford never tried to reach me via those forums except to tell me to give them my serial# and phone. No follow-up at all.

I have learned to deal with it. Transmission just does not like to shift quickly when cold so I plan for slow acceleration in the first few minutes.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:16 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My 6.2 did the same thing. It's the drive by wire. Kind of like ford programmed it to ask "are you sure?" Before reacting. Anyway, tuner fixed this latency for me.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhook the battery for a few minutes to "reboot" it. Then it should relearn the shift patterns. That might help.

For the heck of it, put it in tow/haul to see if the problems disappears when it's on.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Just wondering if you guys with your '11's have had the transmissions reflashed with the updated program. I believe a service bulletin came out for the '11 models. Supposedly from '12 on, they all have the updated trans shift program.

My '12 hesitates a little if you go from say 1/4 throttle to wide open throttle, but no where near what you are describing. If I go from 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle, there's really no delay at all.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:50 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
+1 Drive by wire, I know what you guys mean.. BUT, I don't think there's anything wrong with it in most of these cases. After really concentrating on it for months, and trying to manipulate it perfectly, I think I can get it to do exactly what I want, most of the time.

Think of it like the Right-Trigger on an XBOX controller that is set way to sensitive. It won't give you much feedback, but you have to depress it precisely the right amount to get what you want out of it. And You have to remember, the drive by wire signal is actually 1000x faster than your foot, and when it feels confused, or changes gears back and forth, it's trying to read the micro movements your foot is making.. Keep your ankle tense, your foot positon consistent, and don't press it down TO far when you want to suddenly get moving. You will notice a difference.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:55 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Same thing on my 11 f350 6.2. 5 star tunes helped that quite a bit.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Just lock out the top gear or two for in town driving. Then it won't be shifting all over the place as much.

Quick Reply: 2011 6.2L pauses when I stomp on gas?