Sponsored by:

2003 Excursion 6.0 Liter Stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Excursion 6.0 Liter Stock

So a year ago I bought my first diesel truck, and well I was going for the pickup after being in Europe for 3 and half years but when you have 3 kids that kind of cramps things up a bit. My mother always had a 2000 Excursion but the V10 model and although it wasn't the worse I have seen on fuel mileage I decided against the gas guzzler and a more reliable long term approach. That's when I searched high and low in California for my 2003 Excursion. Yes I know it has the 6.0 Liter and I don't care I love the motor and have no issues as far as injectors are concerned. I do have one issue. And yes I will post photos soon. But when driving and it seems more common in the heat, my truck likes to jump its RPM's above what is already being depressed on pedal. So mind you when I come to a stop at a light, if I do not depress that brake hard sometimes that truck will raise RPM and try to drive on its own???? I have been told something about a IPR or ICP if that sounds anything of the sort? My issue is I have found what this part is online, and it goes for about $150 brand new, but there are cheaper. Where on earth is it located? I located photos, videos, texts stating behind turbo, etc.... but I just can not find it.

Second thing I live in California but due to active duty military I can register the truck out of state in NY. I want to do this to eliminate having to smog it. And with that being said since I already have it programmed with EDGE, I want to juice it up once in awhile on higher settings. Afraid to go beyond economy setting without a cold air intake or exhaust. So my question is what do you recommend, while trying to conserve money the best approach on exhaust? Do I straight pipe it? Which I know the diesels love that!!! Or should I go with a cat back system but much larger pipes?

And lastly can anyone send me links to there trucks that run a 6" lift on your truck then a 8" lift. I want to see the differences in ride height and what is the max tires to be ran on both.

Sorry for the right off the bat three detailed questions but I will have more rest assured.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
The first question/issue sounds like a bad ICP sensor. Its tucked up under your turbo, and isn't terribly difficult to change out. If you can get ahold of a ScanGuageii, or similar OBD port engine monitor, you will have better info to make a proper diagnosis. Look in the 6.0 tech folder for changing the sensor out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...49#post3786349

Second question, don't waste your money on a CAI. Unless you're running a larger than stock turbo, the factory intake will flow plenty of air, and provide excellent filtration. MBRP makes a great turbo back exhaust kit that allows you to swap out the cat for a straight pipe very easily. I use band clamps on mine and can swap them in about 20 mins. Careful turning up your Edge higher than level 3. It doesn't tune the tranny properly, and can cause damage. If you start noticing shift flares going into 3rd, you should back off.

I'll leave the out of state registration, and lift questions to someone more knowledgeable.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Those edge tuners are had on your transmission. A lift with larger tires may require rear end gearing change...

Old 05-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by william_04_x
The first question/issue sounds like a bad ICP sensor. Its tucked up under your turbo, and isn't terribly difficult to change out. If you can get ahold of a ScanGuageii, or similar OBD port engine monitor, you will have better info to make a proper diagnosis. Look in the 6.0 tech folder for changing the sensor out.

6.0L Diesel: ..................Tech Folder.............. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Second question, don't waste your money on a CAI. Unless you're running a larger than stock turbo, the factory intake will flow plenty of air, and provide excellent filtration. MBRP makes a great turbo back exhaust kit that allows you to swap out the cat for a straight pipe very easily. I use band clamps on mine and can swap them in about 20 mins. Careful turning up your Edge higher than level 3. It doesn't tune the tranny properly, and can cause damage. If you start noticing shift flares going into 3rd, you should back off.

I'll leave the out of state registration, and lift questions to someone more knowledgeable.
I ran the code and it gave me the proper code that diagnosis the ICP, but for the love of god I could not find that on my truck. I will check, managed to rip apart engine and replace water pump a couple weeks ago so can't be all that difficult. Suppose at that tear down would have been ideal to find that ICP and replace.

Thanks on the info about that EDGE, suppose I wish I knew before buying that system I may have held back. Do you recommend any programmer that is better of the EDGE or prefer to not juice it at all?

And last advice I understand!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Curt's05
Those edge tuners are had on your transmission. A lift with larger tires may require rear end gearing change...

Do you recommend a better setup instead of the EDGE?

And to make things 100% correct I may agree on that rear end gearing change, but with all the lifted excursions around was hoping one might chime in and tell me about a 6" or 8" lift and the pros and cons. I have decent tires on it maybe 31" and they are nice tires and it does sit up a little higher then most stock but I want it bigger just not extreme or a lot of mods since it is my family truck too and I use it to tow my17 foot boat and toy hauler.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:44 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Check out this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...65#post7693493

I bought an EJ w/A a long time ago. Still have it on a closet shelf. lol There's nothing wrong with crankin up a 6.0l. How hard you want to push it will determine what you should do to make it last. An SCT with custom tunes is the way to go.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Check out this thread.

03/ Early 04 ICP Swap - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I bought an EJ w/A a long time ago. Still have it on a closet shelf. lol There's nothing wrong with crankin up a 6.0l. How hard you want to push it will determine what you should do to make it last. An SCT with custom tunes is the way to go.

That's funny because I thought about that SCT just never heard anything about it, then listening to my brother who is a diesel mechanic recommended EDGE......hmmm..... Oh well maybe its personal preference unless I hear more about that SCT.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

A diesel mechanic may love Edge products, but what brand of rig does he drive, and what motor does it have? Every motor combo responds best to something different. It's been proven over and over that custom tuning with an SCT is the safest, and most powerful available for 6.0l's.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
A diesel mechanic may love Edge products, but what brand of rig does he drive, and what motor does it have? Every motor combo responds best to something different. It's been proven over and over that custom tuning with an SCT is the safest, and most powerful available for 6.0l's.
Did you really make me go there lol, my brother drives a 2006 Dodge 2500 ext cab, short box, 6" body lift with 35" tires. No programmer because they don't make one for his truck due to firewall in computer system. Not the brand he prefers at least. So no not a Edge, but obvious Cummins with Banks exhaust.