Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.9 IDI injector pump timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 PM
wabashofutah
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 6.9 IDI injector pump timing

My 6.9 IDI is having hard starts (Warm or cold) where you crank it forever before it'll start, once it's running it runs great but is smoking alot of white smoke, I replaced all the fuel injectors and return lines and it doesn't smoke as bad and gained a little power but it still covers the half my block in a blanket of smoke, is it possible the fuel pump just needs an adjustment or do I need a whole new unit? Or something else? No oil or coolant leaks either. No one around me fluently talks diesel -_- the best suggestion i've heard is to try adjusting the injector pump timing, I know this takes some doing and should be done dynamically however I want to try it by ear (statically) before I go spend a ton for a diesel mechanic to do it or even the $500 on a new pump; assuming the pump is the issue. Can anyone instruct me on how to do this? I have infinite time but not a whole lot of money to work with

Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 PM
wabashofutah
New User
It's actually more willing to start when it's been sitting for awhile and the smoke doesn't clear up after it gets warm

Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It could be timing....or a bad tired old pump.... or combo of both.

If the truck has over 150k miles and the pump has never been replaced, best to replace it. Best thing you'll ever do for it! It's going to be a night and day difference in power and economy.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
pnp522
Senior User
sounds like a tired pump. When replacing the pump the injection lines will get your timing pretty much on target. Install the injector lines on the pump before you tighten the pump down and the lines will set the timing pretty close. the steel lines spring back to where they have been set. An angled head end wrench will make removing and installing the bolts to the gear easier.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
MeanGreen460
Elder User
you may be getting air in your fuel system .Air in your fuel system will make it start hard also check your glow plugs.From what your saying I'd check to see if your sucking air into your fuel system check for fuel line leaks check your fuel water water separator .the pintle drain on your fuel water separator was famous for sucking in air a lot of guys just bypassed them.How long since you changed fuel filter and air filter ? Both of these being dirty could make it start harder.I'd check for air in your fuel system first then maybe the injection pump also check your fuel pump.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 PM
wabashofutah
New User
Getting ready to pull the pump then. So I just put the new one on and it'll time itself?? Sounds too easy... Also there is a noticeable amount of oil I discovered that appears to be leaking past the gasket between the bracket that holds the IP and the rest of the motor. Do I just take off the nuts and slide the bracket up and off the motor to access this gasket? and also are there any easy moving parts or gears that I need to be really cautious with to avoid messing up something fine tuned?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to line up some marks for the timing. The marks, one is on the oil fill gear cover, at the back, and the other one is on the pump body at the front, line them 2 up.

That timing mark will get the engine to start, run and be drivable, you need to have it timed with a light or meter afterwards.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:19 AM
queen of spades
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
You have to line up some marks for the timing. The marks, one is on the oil fill gear cover, at the back, and the other one is on the pump body at the front, line them 2 up.

That timing mark will get the engine to start, run and be drivable, you need to have it timed with a light or meter afterwards.
I am installing a new IP on a 6.9. I did not remove the gear housing, but I did rotate the engine to test compression.

Did I screw the pooch by turning it over? What will I need to do to get the new (reman) IP initially timed?