Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A years worth of stalling, and 5 CPS

Heres some history on repairs within the past YEAR

ICP(less than a month)
IPR
HPOP
UVCH

I bought the truck over a year ago and it always seemed to have an issue stalling whenever it rained. Usually I was able to just throw another CPS at it and it would be good for another few months. I have tried the black, purple, gray and Borg Warner with little difference

3 weeks ago, it rained and I threw another CPS at it. She cut out 3 times right away but never missed a beat after that.

4 days ago, it snowed. After about 6 stalls, I was able to keep the truck running and it drove home fine. I went to my mechanic and we were able to pulled a stored CPS code. 2 days ago, it rained, but this time swapping out a CPS didnt work. Today it snowed, and another CPS...no dice. I can drive it, but it will randomly stall. It seems I can trigger it if I am creeping, low rpms and barely hit the throttle.

I need to crack down and fix this for good. Its starting to be an undependable truck and keeping me for going a distance from home, let alone worrying if it will stall at the drive thru!

I got a new pigtail harness for the CPS, but the connector looks ok, and no chaffing. I visually inspected the IPR and ICP harness and thats OK.

I am not sure if I am JUST noticing it, but when cold, I can currently hear a difference between stock and 80e, similar like when you have the ICP disconnected. I am also randomly able to trigger cut out while switching to hi idol, but it will cut out in stock mode hi idol. No difference in driving(or stalling) in stock or 80e

What are some other things I should check with my symtoms?

thanks,
Josh

Old 04-24-2013, 06:16 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were me I think I would have my front window seal replaced. Sounds like this is only happening when water is coming in. These trucks have been know to have water come in through the front window seal and get on the gem. The second thing I would do is trace back the wiring on the cps and see if the wiring looks good as far back as you can see. That is where I would start.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Two things:
  1. The stall could be tied to the windshield wipers. I've seen that lately, but I can't remember the root cause.
  2. Anytime you have issues like this, it's best to pull the chip. A weak connection can cause problems, or something in the tuning can have a bad reaction to something not right in the truck... making a no-start situation.
I have seen a loose EBP sensor allow exhaust to escape... causing the EBP tube to get real hot and melt the CPS sensor wire.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Stall can be due to windshield wiper. From what I've read, it is a loose or corroded ground that causes interference with the CPS. Usually it's only with aftermarket CPS, and the ford CPS fixes the issue, but if the ground is bad enough, it may interfere with the ford CPS as well.

Read this https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-wipers-2.html

Edit: that thread also brings up water leaking at the windshield getting to the fuse panel.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Electrical issue.... yes. CPS (by it's self) .... no.

You have put in and taken out enough CPSs by now that I would think that you need to look in that area (electrical) but not at the CPS itself.

In reading your post, it seems that water (moisture) maybe present when you are having your problem. I had the same problem for a while..... when it rained and I drove through a fair amount of water (big puddle), my truck would die like you shut the switch off. Water (moisture) was getting into the CPS connector and messing with the electric flow. Once I sealed the connector and the CPS together, I have had zero problems with stalling/shut downs.

Stop looking at the CPS, but look at everything connected to it..... The 'code' said that the CPS shut the truck off.... but what shut the CPS off?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
I had the windsheild replaced another with a rust hole due to my visor. This fixed my pcm/GEM issue.

I will look into the windsheild wiper and pull back further into the wiring harness

Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
I took the two ground wires for the wiper motor and cleaned them. Truck still stalls without wipers on. Today is a dry day, and has been for 24 hours.

Inspected the wiring harness for the CPS, EBP sensor and all the looming shows no sign on chaffing. I did replace the EBP sensor and tube last year.

It idoled good for about 10 minutes. I tried wiggling wires at the wiper grounds, Chip wire and inspected for any chaffed wires under the dash. Truck was warm and took it for a drive. It cut out within 50ft and I noticed this time the WTS and GP's turned on(LED on pillar). This is a concern because it has never done this before, and the GP's never ran when the truck was warm, even at startups.

Could the ignition switch be a possibility?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you checked the backside of the under dash fuse panel and GEM module? Those get wet if you have a leaky windshield and can cause all sorts of weird stuff. I see you checked about everything else but didn't mention the fuse box or the GEM.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
I have the fuse panel and GEM out. The GEM looks perfect with no water damage. There looks to be some corrosion in the fuse panel, but I cant figure out how to split it!

Anyone know how to split the fuse panel???

Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Follow the harness around the edge of the VC's. Its liable to be chafed .

Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
I ended up taking the dp tuner out of the PCM. I noticed 2 weeks ago when it snowed out, and had these stalling issues I was unable to switch tunes and it would be a blank screen. Otherwise I have never had a problem.

I checked all the harness' and wiggled every sensor I could while running.

I replaced the CPS pigtail and a fresh purple CPS from International. you can see how wore out the old connecotr grommet was, making this a possible water issue

Removed under dash fuse panel and gem. Gem was perfect, but did see some corrosion internally on the fuse panel. I called Ford and they said it would be about $250 for a new one, with relays and fuses included.

Removed the EBP tube and cleaned it out(was not clogged)

By doing this, hopefully I am eliminating any other posibilites pointing towards the Fuse Panel.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 AM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
I had found that the engine harness where it runs over the driver side VC had started to wear due to rubbing on VC. Just another possibility.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 AM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
Figured I would repost, as most troubleshooting threads go unanswered..

I drove my truck a week with the repairs from above for a week, and raining all week and found no stalling issues. I did replaced the fuse panel today. Payed $270 for a new under dash fuse panel from ford(relays and fuses included). From what I could see, the inside was corroded but I could not bust apart the fuse block to clean. Again, I drove the truck for a week in rainy conditions with this corroded fuse panel with zero issues. Today I replaced both the fuse panel and reinstalled the DP tuner and have yet to have an issue. I would like to blame the issue on the CPS connector, but do not have enough evidence to confirm.

Hopefully this thread goes into the graveyard!!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Do you happen to have a working black CPS sensor around? The dealer did the recall on my truck and ever since they put the grey one in I have a miss at idle that drives me crazy.

The dealer just told me tough luck....

Been trying to find a black one and have been coming up empty

Old 05-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Do you happen to have a working black CPS sensor around? The dealer did the recall on my truck and ever since they put the grey one in I have a miss at idle that drives me crazy.

The dealer just told me tough luck....

Been trying to find a black one and have been coming up empty
IH has the blue one... it's better than gray. What color does Riffraff Diesel carry?

Quick Reply: A years worth of stalling, and 5 CPS