Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Built to tow

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not true. A stock 2.3L turbo from an '87-'88 tbird manual trans produces 190hp and plenty of torque, and the idea that it is "peaky" is false. With the right turbo, they spool fast and the power is very respectable. My lightly modded '87 Tbird produces 220hp at the wheels and 280 ft/lbs torque on a car that is only a couple hundred lbs lighter than an Aerostar. Mine spools fast enough to get it moving, and my turbo is too large.

Running a 2.3L with the stock SVO turbo, (not the '87-'88 thunderbird turbo) can produce close to 300 hp at the wheels with the right tuning and injectors and other supporting airflow modification.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
RojoStar
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I suspect you did not read my sentence correctly.
The peaky comment was specifically about the dohc naturally aspirated inline four that is available in my garage and shown in the picture. This engine was developed by Cosworth for track use and detuned for street. Max power occurs at 5800rpm, max torque at 4750 and redline is 7000. Whereas, the factory Aero engines develop max torque at 3000.

I am actually considering the turbo conversion, but its an engineering sideshow to what I really want to do.

Originally Posted by RojoStar
...A turbo app would have to be developed because its rating is currently a peaky 170/165..

Old 04-24-2013, 09:05 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Ok, when I was referring to the Ford 2.3L, I was referring to the old lima based SOHC motor fromt he 80's. It s direct bolt on to your trans with the right bellhousing, no adapters needed. Not sure why you would want to put a Mercedes 4cyl with all the trouble of adapting it.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I am actually considering the turbo conversion, but its an engineering sideshow to what I really want to do.
Rojo, I have read and admired your posts. But the project you have going will eventually cost way more than what your Aero will ever be worth and one must remember that the Aero, last built in '97, has a dwindling following.
But don't let my post stop your efforts. It's always nice to see someone doing things to the Aerostar that Ford never dreamed of. I do think the efforts to improve braking by increasing the size of the front rotors through a complete front end transplant is interesting.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM
RojoStar
Tuned
Originally Posted by Kruse
...way more than what your Aero will ever be worth...
Cost of the trailer: $70K. Getting away in style: priceless.

Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
... Not sure why you would want to put a Mercedes 4cyl with all the trouble of adapting it.
The mbz engine idea is dead. Amongst other reasons, the mbz tranny gearing requires me to commit to a rear diff of 3.08 or less.

Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
... Of course, I would also install 2.5" full-dual exhaust...
I like your thinking so I'm dumping my unused single 2.25 cats and switching to dual 2.00, merging before the gas tank into a single muffler and rear tips, right side.
This eliminates the stupid stock Tee at the engine. I'll add a second O2 channel into my eec-iv design which needs rev'ing anyway.

I'm leaning towards the 8.8-31 axle, to happen over at least 6 months. Got too much going on now.

Casual budgeting says it will be around $1.5K +/-. That's a lot, but it accomplishes a lot.
Uprated springs, fresh brakes, fresh bearings and seals, and just a little engineering.
The budget assumes the gears and clutch pack are good.

There are a half-dozen issues, all manageable.
Ranging from pita to trivial...
* The explorer axle is wider than the original Aero by anywhere from 1" to 3". Cutting & welding the tubes is well documented, and half-shafts are made-to-order ($400) from Moser.
* The suspension style is different, requiring cutting/welding of spring perches and links.
* The drive shaft will likely need modifications. Length/end style. Perhaps I should start with a Explorer shaft.
* The parking brake system is said to be a swap pita.
* General maintenance items. Bearings, bushings, seals, hoses, calipers/rotors/pads, fluid ($600).
* Master cylinder swap.
* Mail-order springs ($300).
* My new wheel adapters need to be machined to fit the larger hubs.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
RojoStar
Tuned
News from the front

...Exp2 11.28" rotor/hub, on the stock Aero spindle sleeved out to 1.375 to match the Exp2 inner bearing...
Sleeve done. That's the larger Explorer inner bearing on the modified Aero spindle.

...Caliper mounting ears on the Aero spindle get chopped/welded/drilled to bolt up the Exp2 calipers. Seems quite doable...
Here's the larger Explorer hub/rotor mounted on an Aero spindle.
See the separate thread for project details. Explorer brakes on Aerostar.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
You're doing things I've been thinking about for at least 10 years. But I don't have access to a mill anymore.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM
ZRX Doug
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ambitious..but maybe a little insane, IMHO.

When you're finished, you're still gonna have an underweight short wheelbase tow vehicle just BEGGING to be shoved around in the wet by your hefty trailer.
I've towed a bunch, much of it in poorly weight-biased combos..the sensation of becoming a passenger when the load takes over the driving is not one I enjoyed..white knuckles don't make for an enjoyable trip.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
RojoStar
Tuned
Originally Posted by ZRX Doug
...IMHO.
No, I don't think your opinion is humble at all.

Pic below: Rear springs by Coil Springs Specialties LLC.
These shorter/stiffer springs were custom engineered by CSS to (approximately) maintain the stock ride height while another 450 lbs tongue is loaded onto my rear axle.
The coolest: Note the progressive variable pitch, tighter on the right.
Will be used in conjunction with front Addco bar (coming) and rear Hellwig bar (installed).
Can't test until I'm back on the planet, about 6 weeks from now.
After that comes the Explorer rear axle and disc brakes.
Then I'm done with suspension and wheels and tires.
(Except I'll probably go 235's in the rear while towing, 225's while cruising.)

Last edited by RojoStar; 07-06-2019 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Pic link update
Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 PM
ZRX Doug
Freshman User
Humble or not, the opinion's valid..the best-suspended & braked Aerostar imaginable is still a minivan, friend. Short on the wheelbase, light on the weight, limited on the tire size. I love my Aeros..but I know their limitations.

By all means, do yer thang..crazy is GOOD. Much of my scary towing was of a front-engined dragster, people said I was nuts, too.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM
RojoStar
Tuned
Originally Posted by ZRX Doug
...the opinion's valid...
Sure is. What tickled me was how your emoticon instantly unraveled your "imho".

The back story is that my much heavier, more powerful BMW coupe got voted down because its too low.
A factory hitch was available but I'm skeptical. Also, no rock in the road can be taller than 4 inches.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 AM
ZRX Doug
Freshman User
Sorry, the emoticon was intended to display the tongue in cheek use of the word "insane."
FWIW, I understand completely..for three years, I towed a '73 Plymouth Scamp drag car (with spares & tools) with an '85 Toyota pickup..beefed rear axle, beefed frame, built 22R 4 cylinder, brakes upgraded to one ton cab/chassis specs..the towed package outweighed the truck by about half a ton. It was what I had to operate with at the time..
It was, shall we say..scary. Especially in the rain, on wet grass in a pit area, or on gravel. But it got the car to all the Detroit area dragstrips three nights a week for three seasons, and down to Indy for the finals four times..knock on wood.

I've no doubt that your package will work, and the work you've done so far is freakin' phenomenal.
But ya did ask for advice from people with towing experience..my advice is to go with something longer & heavier..barring that, be vewy, vewy careful in inclement driving conditions.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Doug, your opinions may be humble, and you may even have some experience, but I have already been towing more weight than Rojo is proposing for years. What he is doing is fixing the deficiencies which I observed. The brakes are inadequate on a stock Aerostar even if you aren't towing. Sure they will stop you, but they will also overheat and warp. So converting to better disc brakes all the way around is a great improvement.

Also you state the best upgrades possible leave the Aerostar as a minivan, well technically thats not true. The Aerostar is technicaly a mid-sized van, just barely slipping in under the weight limits. It is weighed just 200 lbs more the government would have had to classify it as a light truck.

I once hauled a load of scrap in the back of my van weighing in at just shy of 2,000 lbs. and then hooked up a tow dolly and simultaneously hauled a Merkur XR4Ti. And guess what, handling wise I was just fine. The only thing I was really concerned with was the brakes.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
RojoStar
Tuned
The plan is:
3500 lbs tiny van
500 lbs people, fuel, crap
4500 lbs trailer, fuel, water, crap
8500 total. That's the legal limit.

A couple other variables...
I've tightened the suspension quite a bit, but its still needs to go one further notch. The springs and front bar should get me there.
I specifically selected my Kumho tires because of generous sipes and hope they do some good in the rain.

Just got to go do it and report back. After all the preparation either I return or I don't.
Btw, my benchmark for white knuckle travel is spin recovery in an airplane under IFR conditions.
Yes, I have a pilot's license somewhere in a drawer.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 AM
ZRX Doug
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
Doug, your opinions may be humble, and you may even have some experience, but I have already been towing more weight than Rojo is proposing for years. What he is doing is fixing the deficiencies which I observed. The brakes are inadequate on a stock Aerostar even if you aren't towing. Sure they will stop you, but they will also overheat and warp. So converting to better disc brakes all the way around is a great improvement.

Also you state the best upgrades possible leave the Aerostar as a minivan, well technically thats not true. The Aerostar is technicaly a mid-sized van, just barely slipping in under the weight limits. It is weighed just 200 lbs more the government would have had to classify it as a light truck.

I once hauled a load of scrap in the back of my van weighing in at just shy of 2,000 lbs. and then hooked up a tow dolly and simultaneously hauled a Merkur XR4Ti. And guess what, handling wise I was just fine. The only thing I was really concerned with was the brakes.
What you call this is luck, Khan..much like my overloaded Toyota, your overloaded Aerostar had the good fortune NOT to find the right set of lethal circumstances.
The man asked for advice..I gave it.
If y'all feel that a "mid-size" van is the optimal package for yanking two and a half tons of dead weight thru the mountains at speed, so be it.
Just be careful, 'cuz the load will OWN you on poor surfaces when things happen fast.

Quick Reply: Built to tow