6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Algae in diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Algae in diesel

I have algae in my diesel and I don't know the best way to get rid of it. I have been told of algaecides or biocides, is this correct? What kind should I buy?

Adam

Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Powerservice Bio-Kleen

Josh

Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 for Power Service. Also, I'd highly recommend getting your fuel from a better source as well. I generally buy mine from truck stops that see A LOT of traffic, that way I know I'm getting the freshest fuel I can.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Bullitt390

I think it's a regional thing too. Algae and water in fuel is a rare occurence in Northern Colorado.

Josh

Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
We also see the same problem with aircraft fuel Jet A because it is very closely
related to diesel fuel or kerosene. Both will grow algae and require some type
of algaecide. You should be able to find some that is for diesel at any LARGE fuel
dealer like a marine fueler or some truck stops may also have it. The key is
keeping the water out of the fuel. The fuels is the food and the water is where
the algae lives.

Sean

Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 AM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
+1 for Power Service. Also, I'd highly recommend getting your fuel from a better source as well. I generally buy mine from truck stops that see A LOT of traffic, that way I know I'm getting the freshest fuel I can.
Yeah, I told my wife that I will take the truck from now on when it needs fuel since I go past a couple truck stops on a major highway everyday, just to make sure that the fuel will be good.

Also, the Power Service Bio Kleen, where can I purchase this? I have not scene this before. Do they have it at truck stops or auto parts stores?

I am thinking of draining the tank tonight. What is the best way to drain the tank on my truck? I am going to stop and get a 5 gallon diesel can and some fresh fuel along with some algaecide/biocide and see if I can't get this problem solved once and for all (for now ).

Thanks,

Adam

Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 AM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
I think it's a regional thing too. Algae and water in fuel is a rare occurence in Northern Colorado.

Josh
I know that neither my father-in-law or I ever had any trouble with algae while I lived in Kansas and it only took living in Ohio for 4 months to have a problem here. I am going to say that the humidity here does not help.

Adam

Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 AM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
We also see the same problem with aircraft fuel Jet A because it is very closely
related to diesel fuel or kerosene. Both will grow algae and require some type
of algaecide. You should be able to find some that is for diesel at any LARGE fuel
dealer like a marine fueler or some truck stops may also have it. The key is
keeping the water out of the fuel. The fuels is the food and the water is where
the algae lives.

Sean
Sean, thanks for the advice. I would really like to keep the water out . We must have picked up some bad fuel somewhere along the way. Do you think Pilot would carry algaecide? I pass one every day.

Adam

Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how have you verified you have algae? after servicing the fuel filter in the hfcm?
I get it to some degree as well, when cleaning out the hfcm when doing a filter change, i don't worry about it, that is the filters job to keep it from getting into the injectors, it is just a side effect of the truck sitting for extended periods of time.

BIO KLEEN® DIESEL FUEL BIOCIDE: A dual-phase biocide to kill microbes, bacteria and fungus.

Microbes in the form of bacteria and fungus are present in all diesel fuels. Long periods of fuel storage can create ideal opportunities for microbes to grow in fuel tanks. The first indication of microbial contamination is mucous-like accumulations on fuel-filters and increased requirements for fuel-filter replacement. Microbes can only be removed from the fuel system by use of a diesel fuel biocide.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Originally Posted by raptor131
how have you verified you have algae? after servicing the fuel filter in the hfcm?
I get it to some degree as well, when cleaning out the hfcm when doing a filter change, i don't worry about it, that is the filters job to keep it from getting into the injectors, it is just a side effect of the truck sitting for extended periods of time.
I have been battling this problem since late December and as of late I was still confused on what it could be, but I have been catching my diesel in a clear container and I can see the black spots/clumps in it as clear as day. There is also some rust, but it is not significant. The algae has got to be what is growing in the tank. The WIF light is constantly coming on and the truck will not run past idle for any significant amount of time (30 sec.).

What is the best way to drain the tank on a F-350 with an 8 ft bed? Is there a way to drain the fuel from the bottom? Do I have to drop the tank? Any advice would be great. I feel getting all of the bad diesel out and not running it through the system would be a great idea.

Adam

Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by 04KingRanch
I have been battling this problem since late December and as of late I was still confused on what it could be, but I have been catching my diesel in a clear container and I can see the black spots/clumps in it as clear as day. There is also some rust, but it is not significant. The algae has got to be what is growing in the tank. The WIF light is constantly coming on and the truck will not run past idle for any significant amount of time (30 sec.).

What is the best way to drain the tank on a F-350 with an 8 ft bed? Is there a way to drain the fuel from the bottom? Do I have to drop the tank? Any advice would be great. I feel getting all of the bad diesel out and not running it through the system would be a great idea.

Adam
Definately need to drop the tank and have it hot tanked.

I would say drive the truck until the fuel light comes on then remove it.

Josh

Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Definately need to drop the tank and have it hot tanked.

I would say drive the truck until the fuel light comes on then remove it.

Josh
I have a hard time getting the truck to run/drive now and I have about 10 gallons left, how am I supposed to drive it? I am thinking that I need to let it idle for long stretches of time and just let it slowly run out with very little pressure coming out of the injectors. Pressure should be lower under idle, correct? It may take me until next weekend for the fuel to run out.

Where would I get it hot tanked? Not being a smart rear, being honest here...

Ooooorrrrrr, I could purchase a cheap fuel extractor for $30 and not run the fuel through the system. Then put the Bio Kleen with fresh fuel in it and change the filter.

I don't know what to do at this point, but it sure is getting old....

Adam

Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
On Pilot having the stuff I don't have a clue. What needs to be done is like the
marine people do is pump the tank with a filter unit to clean the diesel in the
tank and then add an algaecide to it. There are three major ways to get water in
diesel. 1 From the pump 2 Letting you truck sit with a part filled tank 3 Someone
dumped it in the tank (not as likely)
The reasons 1,2 are so common is condensation of the moisture vapor in the air
as it moves in and out of the fuel tank. The more air that can get in the more
condensation that can happen. That is why tanks on trucks that sit need to be as
full as they can be. That also happens in the tank farms of fuel suppliers and
fule stations. Also in the case of fuel (gas) stations are leaking tanks or water other
ways.
If you have a place to store the fuel you have in the tank right now I would
get a small pump with a diesel filter and pump out the tank into the storage
treat it with the algaecide.
This is hard core treatment
Put the algaecide in the tank and if you can reach into the tank clean out all
the surface crap and the fuel pickup so it all clean. Add 5~10 gals of clean fuel
and algaecide. Slosh in around the inside of the tank and you should be good.
Take your fuel that was removed and treat it and re-filter it as you put it back
into the tank. Your going to need a large filter with a water trap when you do
this so it won't plug up half way into the job.

As I was typing this I thought of one place that may have a diesel algaecide
that would work. Home heating fuel is diesel with red dye so is farm supply diesel.
Check with any farm supply or home heating places for some.

BTW I know that my cleaning method is over kill but it will give you clean usable fuel.
Aircraft algaecide may work or not JP4 is more like kerosene and is very dry in comparison
to diesel which is oily. On that one you will have to ask a fuel person.

NOTE : You may also want to look up diesel fuel scrubber

Sean

I found this on the topic and you can find the full test here
Tips for reducing condensation in fuel tanks - by B. L. Babb - Helium
Many may wonder why they should be concerned about condensation
inside their gas tank. The car sits outside all of the time or in a garage why worry about it?

Take the hottest day of the year and reach under your car and touch low on the gas tank.
Do not do this if you have just driven as heat from the road can warm it.
The tank will feel cool to the touch.

Take a cold beverage out of your refrigerator. Let it sit on the counter in a relatively warm
room, human comfort temperature is adequate. Wait 5 10 minutes and watch the condensation
form on the outside of the can or bottle.
By B. L. Babb - Helium

Last edited by Yahiko; 04-01-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added note
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by 04KingRanch
I have a hard time getting the truck to run/drive now and I have about 10 gallons left, how am I supposed to drive it? I am thinking that I need to let it idle for long stretches of time and just let it slowly run out with very little pressure coming out of the injectors. Pressure should be lower under idle, correct? It may take me until next weekend for the fuel to run out.

Where would I get it hot tanked? Not being a smart rear, being honest here...

Ooooorrrrrr, I could purchase a cheap fuel extractor for $30 and not run the fuel through the system. Then put the Bio Kleen with fresh fuel in it and change the filter.

I don't know what to do at this point, but it sure is getting old....

Adam
10 gallons is only 60 something pounds... No big deal.

As for cleaning any radiator or machine shop could boil it out for you.

Josh

Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
On Pilot having the stuff I don't have a clue. What needs to be done is like the
marine people do is pump the tank with a filter unit to clean the diesel in the
tank and then add an algaecide to it. There are three major ways to get water in
diesel. 1 From the pump 2 Letting you truck sit with a part filled tank 3 Someone
dumped it in the tank (not as likely)
The reasons 1,2 are so common is condensation of the moisture vapor in the air
as it moves in and out of the fuel tank. The more air that can get in the more
condensation that can happen. That is why tanks on trucks that sit need to be as
full as they can be. That also happens in the tank farms of fuel suppliers and
fule stations. Also in the case of fuel (gas) stations are leaking tanks or water other
ways.
If you have a place to store the fuel you have in the tank right now I would
get a small pump with a diesel filter and pump out the tank into the storage
treat it with the algaecide.
This is hard core treatment
Put the algaecide in the tank and if you can reach into the tank clean out all
the surface crap and the fuel pickup so it all clean. Add 5~10 gals of clean fuel
and algaecide. Slosh in around the inside of the tank and you should be good.
Take your fuel that was removed and treat it and re-filter it as you put it back
into the tank. Your going to need a large filter with a water trap when you do
this so it won't plug up half way into the job.

As I was typing this I thought of one place that may have a diesel algaecide
that would work. Home heating fuel is diesel with red dye so is farm supply diesel.
Check with any farm supply or home heating places for some.

BTW I know that my cleaning method is over kill but it will give you clean usable fuel.
Aircraft algaecide may work or not JP4 is more like kerosene and is very dry in comparison
to diesel which is oily. On that one you will have to ask a fuel person.

NOTE : You may also want to look up diesel fuel scrubber

Sean

I found this on the topic and you can find the full test here
Tips for reducing condensation in fuel tanks - by B. L. Babb - Helium
Sean, that is quiet a write up and it sounds like a great idea. I am going to look into this. Thank you very much.

Adam

Quick Reply: Algae in diesel