6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil Filter Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Oil Filter Info

I just did an oil change on my truck and was interested to see the difference in the "new" Fram filter. For quite some time the Fram has been an approved filter because it appeared to be a repackaged Racor, just as the Motorcraft is. I pulled them both out of the box and this is what I found. Motorcraft on the left. Be careful about this if your paying someone to change your oil.

Here's a closer look.

The Fram is slightly shorter and requires the use of a spacer. here's a picture of the only spacer i could see in the package without opening it up.

Aparently, depending on application one of three spacers may be required.

Looks like were back to Racor or Motorcraft for a correctly fitting filter.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
GREAT Detective work Eric

I wonder if the newer Fram has Less GPM as well maybe its not much diffrence

Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Oh and I broke my oil filter standpipe awhileback

Anyway Style A is what the Ford Dealer Gave me

Style B is what I originaly had as far as I can tell from the Pic (2003MY)

Side by side STyle A the Dimensions was WAY Taller (INCHES TALLER) I bought it and Didnt know if it would work so I played with it some in the Parking lot and it Collapsed down and works Fine

Shure had me Nervous for a Minute there

Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember when this was first posted a few months ago. Since then I have still found the Fram "normal grade" filter to be the correct one, and this new 'extra guard' one is the incorrect one.

Up until the news broke about the new Fram filter I don't think I ever saw an 'extra guard' product line for the CH9549. So maybe that is the story now?? ... they decided they needed an additional product grade like they have for the Tough Guard, High Mileage and Ultra lines??

Edit: I did buy two of the correct filters in the old style box at Walmart about 3 -4 weeks ago. They were on the shelf next to the Extra Guard incorrect ones.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok i have to ask. Why doesnt everyone just buy their filters online...i paid like $19 for a motorcraft filter on dieselfiltersonline.com. Why are people risking buying these fram or other brand filters? I dont get it...

Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Maybe so, but these were the only two filters available at Wal-Mart. The element part of the filter looks high quality and there is plenty of it with the zig-zag pattern being so tight. But the need for the adapter makes me think they simply changed the design to avoid paying some type of fee to the patent holder. I will say this filter MAY fit and filter correctly, but it confuses the issue and does a huge disservice with yet another design. Now there's at least two caps, three filters and numerous adapters to confuse the guy at the oil change place, the parts counter, and at home in his own garage.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Maybe so, but these were the only two filters available at Wal-Mart. The element part of the filter looks high quality and there is plenty of it with the zig-zag pattern being so tight. But the need for the adapter makes me think they simply changed the design to avoid paying some type of fee to the patent holder. I will say this filter MAY fit and filter correctly, but it confuses the issue and does a huge disservice with yet another design. Now there's at least two caps, three filters and numerous adapters to confuse the guy at the oil change place, the parts counter, and at home in his own garage.

I totaly agree with this

I only use MC filter anyway since thats what Walley World Carries for 16-18 bucks NO Worries

Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
Ok i have to ask. Why doesnt everyone just buy their filters online...i paid like $19 for a motorcraft filter on dieselfiltersonline.com. Why are people risking buying these fram or other brand filters? I dont get it...
Well I don't know that everyone plans far enough in advance for an OCI -- sorry, that's the only reason I could think of On the other hand if a place has a good sale or rebate, I could see picking up the "wrong" Fram (since they were always thought to be the same as racor or MC)

Then again, I've now been caught planning so far in advance and buying sale prices 15w 40 oil, I find that I will be searching for 10w 30 hdeo for the next and probably all future changes on Dan.

sux to be AR....

Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a few filters the first time because its cheaper if you buy more than one. Only problem with that is i cant afford to buy that much oil at once, and its never on sale when i need to do a change...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Old on the right, new on the left...

That white plastic piece is for the bypass and adapts the filter top to the standpipe. It is really a "spacer"

My local Walmart still has plenty of the old style. At first they had a bunch of the new, but disappeard for the old style.

Josh

Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Dang Josh, Just noticed the filter in your picture on the box looks like the filter I have on the LEFT in my first pic and it came out of the Motorcraft box at the store. Dang, now I'm gonna have to pull it and make sure I have the right thing in my truck. This is stoopid!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
fdnyretired
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to really look carefully. I have seen both filters in 2 different WM in 2 difference states. I have also seen a guy with a Fram box and Motorcraft box and swap the filters inside. I guess to save a buck and screw the next guy. Again you just have to check. I also did see the difference with the Fram TG filter. DFO has MC for $17.36 as well as Racor for $13.95, as well as a Mann-Filter made by Racor for $7.29 which says it is for the 6.0 but I can NOT attest to proper fit.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
This is one issue i don't have with the bpd remote cooler. I buy fuel filters from dieselfiltersonline in bulk, coolant filters online from dieselsite, and bpd oil filters online. I have a shelf of filters in my garage.
Just changed oil in wife's explorer 5w20, son's titan 5w30, looks like i have a parts department in the garage.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fdnyretired
You have to really look carefully. I have seen both filters in 2 different WM in 2 difference states. I have also seen a guy with a Fram box and Motorcraft box and swap the filters inside. I guess to save a buck and screw the next guy. Again you just have to check. I also did see the difference with the Fram TG filter. DFO has MC for $17.36 as well as Racor for $13.95, as well as a Mann-Filter made by Racor for $7.29 which says it is for the 6.0 but I can NOT attest to proper fit.
Here is my thread on that Mann filter. I still have it. Never using it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...es-7-29-a.html

Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
fdnyretired
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=amdriven2liv;13063833]Here is my thread on that Mann filter. I still have it. Never using it.

I haven't or wouldn't use them, just passing along what they said, that's why I added my disclaimer.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Info