1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

oil burning thru engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Swizzferd8
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have some oil burning through my engine. I bought the truck about 6 months ago. 1996 xlt f250 7.3l crew cab. I am now giving it some loving and trying to clean it up/run better. I just did oil change, oil filter change and air filter change. I have had a oil leak in the truck since I got it. It leaks pretty steady bc it's all over my undercarriage. I had it in to get looked at by a referred mechanic and he said it appears to be leaking from the rear of the motor and it would be about $600 to drop th trans clutch etc. to get to the leak. Is the rear main seal my issue? If so why do I get a white-ish smoke coming out from around my turbo? It also comes out the exhaust.... Please help!! I'm planning on working my way through this to save money! I have another car to drive in the mean time.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Swizzferd8
I also have some oil burning through my engine. I bought the truck about 6 months ago. 1996 xlt f250 7.3l crew cab. I am now giving it some loving and trying to clean it up/run better. I just did oil change, oil filter change and air filter change. I have had a oil leak in the truck since I got it. It leaks pretty steady bc it's all over my undercarriage. I had it in to get looked at by a referred mechanic and he said it appears to be leaking from the rear of the motor and it would be about $600 to drop th trans clutch etc. to get to the leak. Is the rear main seal my issue? If so why do I get a white-ish smoke coming out from around my turbo? It also comes out the exhaust.... Please help!! I'm planning on working my way through this to save money! I have another car to drive in the mean time.
On the leak,you need to look up in the v of the engine long before pulling ant trans.anything leakinf up top drains to the rear and into the bell. that mechanic may not know much about psd's. be weary.

if yours is smoking and using oil,go back and read the responses and get back after looking all that over.there are no majic remides by remote control.feedback is nessary.then go from there. money can be saved by checking out and not just throwing parts at it.and it might be fixed too.

you may need to drop the down pipe off and check for oil from the turbo on the exh side.smoke from the turbo may also be some exh leaks.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In addition to what fordman67 has said , other possible leaks from the back are the oil rail plugs in the front and rear of each head...there are o-rings in there that fail when they get a certain age....

Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Swizzferd8
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. This is my first diesel so I only brought it to that one mechanic(who I asked a family friend who he took his company diesel trucks to and he recommended this guy. He pretty much told me that it looked like the truck has a lot of problems. Although he couldn't tell me exactly where my leak was from so I'm not sure how much he even took to look or what. He gave me an oil additive that should have "slowed the leak", I didnt notice any difference. I did buy the truck under the impression of fixing things but I'm just looking for the proper assistance.

That being said .... It seems like the problem I could be having is due to leaky seals. Is there some kind of O-ring packages or seals that should all be done when replacing another?

Also I had posted on another thread I saw about my same problem. There was a guy who shared this link with me... http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70552

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
go get several cans of brake kleen and clean her up. Go drive it and recheck for any wetness around in the v of the engine.

the "leak stops" wont do much good on a psd...the high pressure system is 3000psi on average. Snake oil wont have much for that. I doubt the rear main seal is leaking. dipstick adapter,rail end plugs,hpop lines,fittings maybe.

Some careful inspection and study will do you well and save some money.
fuel leaking can mix with oil and fool you into looking for oil leaks also.
check fuel bowl,fuel pump,lines,return line banjo and connections @ rear of heads also.there are seals in the rear lines that leak often.

I sure hope you are patient and figure it out.the truck will pay you back for your time.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Dont forget the turbo/pedestal o-rings.