Transmission Hard to Shift when Hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 PM
thatranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Hard to Shift when Hot

I'm have transmission issues, right below explains everything. Sorry for the very long post, I know its a lot of reading, but it has alot of infomation that almost covers everything.

2002 Ford Ranger 3.0 4x2 5speed 185k miles

After around an hour of driving (mixed city/hwy) my transmission gets very hard to shift into gears, and shifting into 1st or reserve from a dead stop. If I'm driving in a city area with more traffic lights & stops (which equals more shifting) it takes less then an hour of driving for the transmission to act up & doesn't want to shift. Then I have to go into clutchless shifting mode (but still using the clutch!!) and pull it out of gear when the tranny gets 'unloaded' and hold it into the next gear till it wants to go in (when something gets hot the clutch doesn't want to disenage?). What really annoys me is that I don't believe this is the transmission itself causing these problem, I believe its something in the manual transmission system. Something like maybe the clutch is starting to go bad (however it grabs & holds gets just fine) or maybe old brake fluid in the slave that doesn't work right when it gets hot? Or maybe something like the presser-plate being warped or a be a throwout/pilot bearing that is either receiving heat from either the transmission or engine and causing it to f**k up when its hot.

A little background information that'll help:
-Clutch has been replaced two years ago with new brake fluid.
-Yesterday I replaced the transmission fluid and problems still happen. However now with the new fluid it shifts silky smooth when cold, and its always been easy to shift when the truck is cold. Now when I mean cold, I'm not talkng about the outside temp, talking about transmission temp.

I keep thinking that maybe at 185k miles on the transmission that its just at its end of life. However it shifts great & fast until the transmission gets hot.

I know I've pointed out a lot of things that might be causing it, but really need someone who really knows their stuff about cars and manuals to help me pin point the problem.

replace the slave cylinder when you put the clutch in it?

Its been replaced, I believe it was around 5years ago.

slave may be going out again...either that or the master cylinder

However wouldn't that cause it to be hard to shift even when its cold? Or are they known for acting up when they get warm/ after a little but of driving?

its really a crabshoot with the slave...sometimes they are fine sometimes they arent

Okay, however does this problem seem to be something wrong with something from the manual tranny system, or could the cause be the tranny? I want to rule out the tranny first before anything else.

i dont think its the trans itself....nothing in there but syncros and gears

Okay thanks. Welcoming other members who might have any input on which parts is bad.

Okay thanks again for the help. I'll be checking the fluid & the tranny tomorrow to see if that grime I saw was brake fluid. I'm pretty sure it was, I thought to myself when I saw it "hmm it kinda looks a little golden" but just assumed it came from the road & was too busy avoiding spilling atf fluid to think about it too much.

Edit: After some more reading, some people say that if you pump the clutch pedal & its easier to go into gear then its the clutch master cylinder. Is this correct for Rangers as well? If it is then I can rule out clutch master cylinder from being bad because pumping it makes no differences when the tranny is warm.

Also want to note that my truck doesn't move forward at all/nor bog down rpms when I'm on level ground in 1st gear with no brakes while the clutch is fully pushed in.

Originally Posted by thatranger
Update:

So I decided to just do it tonight & check it with a flash light, under the tranny is some kind of oil type of liquid along the bottom of the tranny, that appears it might be coming from between where the engine & tranny is mated however this oil stuff is coated by what I can best describe is black dirt that I guess cam from the roads. Thinking it could be brake fluid I went ahead and used a tool to remove the res cap, and surprisingly its full and looks like normal golden brake fluid, of course with some black specs in it. Confused to where that oil stuff came front I went ahead & checked my engine oil (2800miles on it) and the engine oil was right on the dot of full, with a nice full golden color, looks like brand new oil. (Lol, but then again I already knew my engine was perfect, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil & barely ever turns a little bit brown.)

Anyways, it can't be brake fluid on the tranny, nor it is leaking tranny fluid. Cant be atf fluid because its not red/brown/black. Plus when I drained the atf fluid yesturday, it gave up a little under 3liters of fluid.

My dad and brother thinks its just the ****ty autozone clutch in it going bad. Its about 2years old.

I don't believe its the clutch because it grabs just fine. However if i'm in 2gears too high & push the pedal to the floor the clutch does slip for a split second (0.2seconds) then grabs again. I'm pretty sure this is completely normal. Because you all know the 3.0 is a torque monster

Could it still be the slave or master without leaking any brake fluid.

Update: When it does get hard to shift, and I'm coming from a dead stop the clutch chatters and shudders / is jerky when releasing the clutch.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last two clutches I had installed ('95 F150 and 2001 Ranger) included all new parts (pressure plate, disk throwout, slave, and pilot bearing) and I had pedal at floor. In both cases the master cylinder was bad. The F150 had lost about half inch of it's stroke that is, it was not coming all the way back. The new master put the pedal up where it belonged. I can't report on the ranger as it is in shop now but it is getting a master cylinder, but it was worse because once it warmed up I could not get it into gear from a dead stop unless I pumped the pedal. A mechanic put the clutch pedal down to where it just began to disengage and held firm but gently and the pedal slowly dropped showing a leak. I did not see a leak so I am thinking it must be internal, past piston into pressure line.

Anyway, i bet the master cylinder is bad on yours. The tranny shop said that a new clutch and slave can sometimes put more pressure on the master causing it to go bad.