2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Truck and got Some Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 PM
xc4jokestomper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Truck and got Some Questions!

Well guys I got a new truck yesterday. I had the truck in my sig but I sold it and bought a 97 lifted GMC Sierra....... 3 monthes later and 1 transmission later I traded it in for an 05 Supercab FX4 F150! Man I love this truck! Leather interior, sunroof, 5.4, 4x4, 88k miles on it! Ill be paying on it for awhile but thats okay! I just got a few questions about these trucks because im mostly use to the OBS's! The previous owner put on a si/do exhaust, a nice pioneer head unit, and a tonneau cover so that should keep me entertained for awhile with it!

Just kidding guys! Id really like to add a leveling kit and a set of nice A/T tires. It has a set of Nitto crossers? I think thats whats on there now and I guess their alright but I really want a set of BFG A/T KO's! Loved those tires. And of course the front end sits waaaaay to low so maybe a leveling kit? I can't lift it yet because my parents will throw a fit because its not paid off yet but hopefully I can talk them into a cheap leveling kit!

So thats my first question! Which is the best/cheapest leveling kit for these trucks? How big can I can without running into tons of problems and everything upfront wearing out? 2"? 2.5"? 3" even? Also what size tires can I run with the stock wheels? Ill have to check tomorrow to see what size I have now but I do have an FX4 so im hoping I have the 3.73's and whatever size rims...

Second question, What are some normal problems I may encounter with this truck? I got like 30 or 90 days for the dealership to fix whatever I find.. A buddy of mine told me that I should get rid of it before it gets the death tick because I have a 5.4? I've heard about problems with spark plugs and the heads on the newer trucks? was that just the 97,98 range or what?

Ill get some pics for you guys tomorrow!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 PM
sboychuck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I cannot answer the questions about the lift kit and tires.

I am going to mention some of the things that can be encountered. Please do not get nervous that your truck is going to fall apart. I have a 2003 4x4 5.4L Expy with 99K miles on it. I just put an engine in it due to a bad head gasket leaking oil externally, warped heads, etc. Things happen! Nothing I could have done to stop it. I love this truck and this is the only major work I have done. I have done all the regular maintenance and I will own this truck for another 10 years and 100K miles.

With regards to the truck, have the plugs been changed? They are due at 100K, and you are close. Good chance some will break when you change them. You will need a kit to remove the part stuck in the head. Do not worry, they break pretty regularly and the removal kit works great. I would make sure the fluids in the trans., transfer and both diff's is fresh. The radiator fluid should have been changed by now as well. I would also take a look at the p/s and brake fluid. If it is dirty, change it out. I do mine every 50K miles. If it has any rough run or rough idle, coil packs can fail and that is a perfect time to do the plus as well. Take a look at the MAF meter and the throttle body. If they are dirty, "take them off" and clean them with the "proper" spray cleaner. Make sure you have no oil leaks between the head and the block. I think the problem heads have been fixed, but just in case. Actually, get it on a lift and make sure there are no oil leaks at all, if you have that short of a warranty. Get it fixed now if there is a concern.

I have no idea what the "death tick" is? Is he referring to the cam phasers? There are plenty of these 5.4's that have gone 200K without any problems. My truck developed a slight knock when first started that went away in about 5-10 minutes. A little "piston slap" that has been known to happen. The truck ran fine for 50K with the noise, and it would still be running fine if the oil leak did not surface. It is gone now with the new engine. Sure, things happen and yes it sucks if it happens to you.

If you treat the truck good, it will treat you good. I have owned Ford products for 20 years and stand behind them. Sounds like you have a good truck that you like, and that is all that matters.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM
xc4jokestomper
Posting Guru
Well, I cannot answer the questions about the lift kit and tires.
Thats alright im sure someone else will chime in about it!

[QUOTEI am going to mention some of the things that can be encountered. Please do not get nervous that your truck is going to fall apart. I have a 2003 4x4 5.4L Expy with 99K miles on it. I just put an engine in it due to a bad head gasket leaking oil externally, warped heads, etc. Things happen! Nothing I could have done to stop it. I love this truck and this is the only major work I have done. I have done all the regular maintenance and I will own this truck for another 10 years and 100K miles. ][/QUOTE]

I understand! You can always find a horror story if you look for one but that doesn't mean it's going to happen to you!

With regards to the truck, have the plugs been changed? They are due at 100K, and you are close. Good chance some will break when you change them. You will need a kit to remove the part stuck in the head. Do not worry, they break pretty regularly and the removal kit works great. I would make sure the fluids in the trans., transfer and both diff's is fresh. The radiator fluid should have been changed by now as well. I would also take a look at the p/s and brake fluid. If it is dirty, change it out. I do mine every 50K miles. If it has any rough run or rough idle, coil packs can fail and that is a perfect time to do the plus as well. Take a look at the MAF meter and the throttle body. If they are dirty, "take them off" and clean them with the "proper" spray cleaner. Make sure you have no oil leaks between the head and the block. I think the problem heads have been fixed, but just in case. Actually, get it on a lift and make sure there are no oil leaks at all, if you have that short of a warranty. Get it fixed now if there is a concern.
No idea about the spark plugs! I have about 5 pages of carfax records I need to go through! The truck was used for commercial use and it really looks like they took good care of it! Whenever the plugs are due I'll have a dealership do it that way I can hold them reliable just in case! It runs good, no rough anything, shifts nice and smooth.

I have no idea what the "death tick" is? Is he referring to the cam phasers? There are plenty of these 5.4's that have gone 200K without any problems. My truck developed a slight knock when first started that went away in about 5-10 minutes. A little "piston slap" that has been known to happen. The truck ran fine for 50K with the noise, and it would still be running fine if the oil leak did not surface. It is gone now with the new engine. Sure, things happen and yes it sucks if it happens to you.

If you treat the truck good, it will treat you good. I have owned Ford products for 20 years and stand behind them. Sounds like you have a good truck that you like, and that is all that matters.
I guess its the cam phaser he is talking about? I have no idea. I aint too worried about it. I plan on taking good care of the truck and keeping up with maintenance.

I forgot a couple other things! I noticed today on the interstate that when using my cruise control that it will turn off if I use my blinker to switch lanes? Is this some kind of weird safety feature? Also If i apply my brake pedal with the blinkers on they stop? But as soon as I let off the brake they go back to flashing like normal? I'm going to have them fix that too but I was just wondering what it may be?

Also my remote to my truck has a star in the middle of it? What is that? A panic button?

Thanks for all the help guys! I love FTE and plan on spending alot of time on here!

Oh yeah, one last thing! Custom tunes? Ive been reading up on some and looks like you guys prefer SCT with custom tunes? What would be my best bet if I want digital gauges as well like on the EDGE? Also what am I looking at $$$ wise for a custom tune and programmer and all that good stuff?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Gundown64
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A 2.5" leveling kit got my perfectly level. Some say a 2" will do it as well. Either one will be fine. As for brand, they are all pretty much the same. It is just a block of material that sits on top of your struts. I went with Rough Country and have no complaints. Others on here went with Hell Bent Steel I believe and like it. Mine were $100 out the door, but I think Hell Bent Steel might be a little cheaper, around ~$80 or so. With a level, you can run up to 33x12.50 tires no problems. I run the same size.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM
xc4jokestomper
Posting Guru
Alright sounds good. The local 4x4 shop told me 100 for the kit and 150 for the install. I was like ehhh I can do it myself lol.

Also my key fob has a little star on it? Is that remote start? How do I use it? Just push the button? or do I have to hold it in or what?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xc4jokestomper
Alright sounds good. The local 4x4 shop told me 100 for the kit and 150 for the install. I was like ehhh I can do it myself lol.

Also my key fob has a little star on it? Is that remote start? How do I use it? Just push the button? or do I have to hold it in or what?
I have an 04 Lariat 4x4 SCAB and put 3" on mine and got it from Performance Suspension on Ebay Motors. If you are mechanical, you can put the lift in. Don't forget to go get an allignment otherwise you will kill your tires. Little over 100k and no problems. Still need to do the plugs before too much longer and camping season is here!