Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest leveling kit... what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cheapest leveling kit... what do you guys think?

Ok so here is the story: I'm doing a ton of mods and upgrades to my Ex, which isn't even on the road yet, and I may want to postpone getting a big lift kit and just level the front for now to clear 315's.

So I found this Amazon.com: Ford Leveling Kit, 1999 - 2004, F-250, F-350, Excursion 4x4: Automotive
I talked with the people that make the kit and they seem legit and knowledgeable.
Custom Diesel
2536 Fairview Road
Morristown TN 37814

Sales & Customer Service: 877-259-4977
Technical Support: John at 423-277- 2076
Too cheap to be any good? Good enough to get me by for 2-4 weeks until I can afford a BDS lift kit? I need to get tires, like really bad, the ones that came with the truck are baldish. Obviously if I can level it and cram 315's on there for now that is better than buying more 265s or even 285s that I don't want (and would look stupid when I get it properly lifted). So this is a cheap stop gap solution to get it on the road. What say you?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy
Ok so here is the story: I'm doing a ton of mods and upgrades to my Ex, which isn't even on the road yet, and I may want to postpone getting a big lift kit and just level the front for now to clear 315's.

So I found this Amazon.com: Ford Leveling Kit, 1999 - 2004, F-250, F-350, Excursion 4x4: Automotive
I talked with the people that make the kit and they seem legit and knowledgeable.

Too cheap to be any good? Good enough to get me by for 2-4 weeks until I can afford a BDS lift kit? I need to get tires, like really bad, the ones that came with the truck are baldish. Obviously if I can level it and cram 315's on there for now that is better than buying more 265s or even 285s that I don't want (and would look stupid when I get it properly lifted). So this is a cheap stop gap solution to get it on the road. What say you?
looks oookkk, same kinda thing as Icon's kit '00 - '05 Ford Excursion 2" Mini Spring Pack - ICON Vehicle Dynamics but you'll definitely have rubbing , 315's will definitely be pushing that IMO

Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Thanks for the quick response. I am psyched that Icon makes the same thing, makes this product look more legit.

As far as the tires go... I know they will rub. I am not at all worried about that, seems to me it is better than buying tires that I don't want. I am just making a backup/stop gap plan here. I might not even do it if I can come up with the coin for the lift I really want before the end of the month.

Sucky thing is I still have to pay rent and stuff, I can't spend all my coin on my new toy.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You don't have a sig listing your vehicle info, so whenever you ask a question specific to your Ex, it's difficult to answer.

Please put your Excursion's pedigree in your sig. Engine, trim, four or two-wheel drive, mods done, etc that way we can give better informed answers.

I'm pretty sure though any "leveling" kit you buy won't level your rig (your front end will be higher) and you still won't be able to get 315's under the front end without having to mod the fender, if at all, depending on the tire you select.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-08-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: To qualify my statement
Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Wpnaes (Sean) runs that with 315's.....need a little tweak to the rear of the inner fender well.....and maybe the front bumper spaced out...

Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
You will probably get by. You may have slight rubbing during hard turns, but you can avoid that if you only looking at 14 days. Are your current tires not going to last so you could wait and have tires/lift done at the same time.

Be sure to post up before/after pics.

I assume this is a 4wd?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Agree, just wait the 2-4 weeks and save the $ for somethin' else. The simple inner fender mod below:

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 AM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You don't have a sig listing your vehicle info, so whenever you ask a question specific to your Ex, it's difficult to answer.

Please put your Excursion's pedigree in your sig. Engine, trim, four or two-wheel drive, mods done, etc that way we can give better informed answers.

I'm pretty sure though any "leveling" kit you buy won't level your rig (your front end will be higher) and you still won't be able to get 315's under the front end without having to mod the fender, if at all, depending on the tire you select.

Stewart
I am not trying to level my truck, I'm just trying to stuff some 315s on it and limp by for a couple weeks, trimming and or modding the fender is fine by me. I put my truck info in the garage part, I guess I'll have to make a signature also.

Originally Posted by archtaan
You will probably get by. You may have slight rubbing during hard turns, but you can avoid that if you only looking at 14 days. Are your current tires not going to last so you could wait and have tires/lift done at the same time.

Be sure to post up before/after pics.

I assume this is a 4wd?
I need to get an inspection, I don't think the current tires will pass. Yes it is a 4x4.

Originally Posted by wpnaes
Agree, just wait the 2-4 weeks and save the $ for somethin' else. The simple inner fender mod below:
Thanks wpnaes, I have seen your posts and that is part of why I want to stuff the 315s on there in the first place.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the input, I ended up ordering the Superlift 7" kit and I picked up some 315/75R16 Kelly Safari TSR tires at the local shop. I got the studs in them also. I also ordered the Superlift TruSpeed Calibrator.

Y'all were right, it was a really dumb idea to level the truck for only a short while. I found a bargain on both Superlift parts so I am happy. I really wanted the BDS kit because the quality seems better, but you just can't beat the price of the Superlift kit.

Come summer time I'll get a set of nice wheels with some M/T tires or something.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my egr delete kit from custom diesel. Quality and complete, if you're looking for a seller reference.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems like a lot of money for just a couple U bolts and some little leaf pieces.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Seems like a lot of money for just a couple U bolts and some little leaf pieces. I would like to just raise my front one inch so it won't bottom out so easily but I don't see anything less than 2" anywhere. I don't want to mess with the back.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
I think some nice, used and tired V's wii give a one inch lift.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:23 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wpnaes
I think some nice, used and tired V's wii give a one inch lift.
I'm looking for something simpler than that, I don't really want to replace the whole springs and then maybe be disappointed.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Originally Posted by EXv10
Seems like a lot of money for just a couple U bolts and some little leaf pieces. I would like to just raise my front one inch so it won't bottom out so easily but I don't see anything less than 2" anywhere. I don't want to mess with the back.
If you don't want to swap springs and you don't want more than 2" longer shackles are probably your only option. I haven't looked at any for an Ex, but they can usually be found with at least as little as 1". They can also be fabricated an inch longer if you have any fabricating skills. Just make sure to use strong metal and strong welds.

Quick Reply: Cheapest leveling kit... what do you guys think?