Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy dash lights and start up issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 AM
ErinsFord
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy dash lights and start up issues

Alright... here it is. 96 F-150 351w engine, XLT 170k miles or so on the green machine. A little while ago it wasn't starting, just cranking over. Battery is good. Alternator good, had a charge. The positive cable was corroded so I replaced it. A little while later it was sluggish and starting hard so when I replaced the spark plugs and did the oil change I changed it to Mobil1 I had lying around from my wrecked Acura. Switched to platinum NGKs and replaced the spark plug wires.

Up and running good. Few months later my brother borrowed it and had hard starts again and it wouldn't start but could wait a few minutes and it'd fire up like nothing was wrong. Then it was home and sat on the curb for a bit and suddenly it'd just crank and crank and crank but no go. Then a week later I try it again and fires right up, no problem. Lately it has started but nobody will drive it as every dash light stays on. Brake light, ABS, check engine... everything is lit up on the dash and the radio loses power and the clock turns on and off randomly. Don't want to get stranded and need a tow so it's been doing some curb time. It'd be nice to get the truck running again.

Any ideas on where to start? I'm not an electrician but can't take it to a shop or I'll be out of reserve cash. Any ideas on why everything in my electrical system simultaneously decided to explode?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 AM
HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm....

That's an interesting one. So it was running good before on platinum plugs? Typically the concensus is to use the standard plugs on these trucks. Many people have had problems when they deviated.

When you changed the plug wires, did you look at the distributor cap and rotor? I once couldn't get mine to fire. It was kinda the same situation. I removed the distributor cap and found a lot of carbon tracking on the contacts (it was pretty old). I scraped the carbon off and it fired right up. Worked fine for a few days till I bought a new cap and rotor.

You might try taking a close look at all the battery wires. There is a small ground wire that comes off the battery's negative and attaches directly to the radiator support. I've heard of that causing problems.

Definitely pull the codes on this. All the compound problems here could have you running circles. The computer may be able to help.

Chris

Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
rdskm1
New User
New Guy question. I know pulling the codes is the best way to determine the problem. How can I do this without taking it in to a shop? Can you do this at home?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdskm1
New Guy question. I know pulling the codes is the best way to determine the problem. How can I do this without taking it in to a shop? Can you do this at home?

Start here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...tech-info.html

Then pay close attention here: Fuel Injection Technical Library » How To Run a Self-Test

If you have problems counting the flashes you can pick up an Equus 3145 code reader at most part stores or online at Amazon.com for around 25 - 30 dollars.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
afran
Freshman User
From what it sounds like, it could either be a faulty ground or the ECM. Just my .02

Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
double post... delete this please

Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
Start here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...tech-info.html

Then pay close attention here: Fuel Injection Technical Library » How To Run a Self-Test

If you have problems counting the flashes you can pick up an Equus 3145 code reader at most part stores or online at Amazon.com for around 25 - 30 dollars.
He has a 96, which is OBD II and requires a scanner. AutoZone will scan codes for free.

You might have to take the guy outside and show him the diag port, since they typically don't bother to look over on the passenger side under the dash. Don't let them sell you any parts until we get a handle on what's wrong.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 PM
ErinsFord
Freshman User
Just able to start looking because I borrowed a code reader. It's throwing a P0743 code which doesn't make sense as I understand it a TCC solenoid won't affect start-ups and I haven't had any weird shifting issues at any speeds. ABS light stays on as well, clear the code and it immediately comes back up.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 AM
ErinsFord
Freshman User
Clarification: D4OD transmission. AT Fluid looks clean and is still red on dipstick and at correct level.

Also the parking brake light is on even when it's disengaged. Airbag light flashes. ABS light on most of the time but is intermittent.

Next step (we looked for obvious issues like bad fuses and melted wiring, something come looks, faulty grounds) would be to drain ATF, change the filter, drop the pan and check the solenoids. Also thinking of hitting pick n pull and grabbing a new brain for it. I'm wondering if it might be the PCM (I think that's what ford calls it.)

Still not sure how all of this is setting off ABS, parking brake and airbag light or affecting start up and I don't believe in coincidences.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 AM
HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ErinsFord
Clarification: D4OD transmission. AT Fluid looks clean and is still red on dipstick and at correct level.
That stinks you only got one code on an OBD II. Good to hear the fluid looks good though! I think you may mean E4OD transmission.

Originally Posted by ErinsFord
Also the parking brake light is on even when it's disengaged. Airbag light flashes. ABS light on most of the time but is intermittent.

Next step (we looked for obvious issues like bad fuses and melted wiring, something come looks, faulty grounds) would be to drain ATF, change the filter, drop the pan and check the solenoids. Also thinking of hitting pick n pull and grabbing a new brain for it. I'm wondering if it might be the PCM (I think that's what ford calls it.)

Still not sure how all of this is setting off ABS, parking brake and airbag light or affecting start up and I don't believe in coincidences.
Not sure what extra stuff the PCM handles on the OBD II's. Usually the airbag has it's own control module. Does the 96 also have a body or chassis control module? It's just a guess. Have you tried an advanced search on this site? You may be able to find a wiring diagram online as well. Hopefully someone with an OBD II truck chimes in. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Chris

I just noticed that everyone else on this thread has the later year trucks! Ya'll would know! Apologies! I'll stay in my paygrade.