1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-12-2014, 06:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Replace fuel pump without dropping gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gevans17
Was under my 98 Expy today and found what appears for be an access panel directly over the fuel pump.
.....................but i was wrong. Sorry

Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alloro
A 12"x12" piece of sheet metal, weatherstripping, and a dozen self-tapping screws come to mind.
Yes sir...that's what I did for my 90 Bronco.....

Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 PM
dmgctrl
New User
UPDATE:

Spoiler alert (major moron moment)

So my brother drove two hours from out of town to help me figure out how to solve the locking ring problem. The problem was that the ring would tighten up like it's threading properly, then when I would put turning force on the ring, it would pop off. When I described how the parts look, I told him it was like screwing on a lid to an industrial-size mayonnaise jar.

My brother tried it and noticed that before the ring pops off, one side of the ring rides up. It took him less than two minutes to figure out that if you put downward pressure on the top side of the ring that rides up, the ring will jump down the fuel tank threads, whereupon you can check if the ring is aligned properly and continue securing the sender assembly. So he wedged a breaker bar with a padded tip (to keep it from scratching anything) between the truck bed and the locking ring and pressed down. It dropped in like it was supposed to, without much persuasion. I should note that there is the possibility of breakage if the locking ring isn't in good condition, but since this locking ring looked fairly new, there was reason to try this procedure. I was happy this worked, but very upset with myself for not thinking of it first.

We finished re-assembling with the parts that we had just to get the truck running again, but there are a few hoses and a tank seal that need to be replaced. The scary thing is now I can't even hear the fuel pump running, but I do know it starts and I can go where I need to go again.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:57 PM
walt460
Senior User
I just watched a u-tube video on how to take the bed off my 2001 Lightning. Once the bed is off, changing the in-tank pump should be pretty easy. Removing the bed takes about an hour; 6 bed bolts, tail light wiring disconnect, license plate wires disconnect, 3 bolts hold filler neck to bed, one clamp on the filler neck under bed, then lift with engine hoist. I plan this way because I can install Air Lift ride control kit to help with trailer tow loads. Anyone done the fuel pump via bed removal?

Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 PM
aTNartist
New User
Originally Posted by dmgctrl
UPDATE:

Spoiler alert (major moron moment)

So my brother drove two hours from out of town to help me figure out how to solve the locking ring problem. The problem was that the ring would tighten up like it's threading properly, then when I would put turning force on the ring, it would pop off. When I described how the parts look, I told him it was like screwing on a lid to an industrial-size mayonnaise jar.

My brother tried it and noticed that before the ring pops off, one side of the ring rides up. It took him less than two minutes to figure out that if you put downward pressure on the top side of the ring that rides up, the ring will jump down the fuel tank threads, whereupon you can check if the ring is aligned properly and continue securing the sender assembly. So he wedged a breaker bar with a padded tip (to keep it from scratching anything) between the truck bed and the locking ring and pressed down. It dropped in like it was supposed to, without much persuasion. I should note that there is the possibility of breakage if the locking ring isn't in good condition, but since this locking ring looked fairly new, there was reason to try this procedure. I was happy this worked, but very upset with myself for not thinking of it first.

We finished re-assembling with the parts that we had just to get the truck running again, but there are a few hoses and a tank seal that need to be replaced. The scary thing is now I can't even hear the fuel pump running, but I do know it starts and I can go where I need to go again.
I am having trouble with the locking ring as well. I took my tank out and so putting it back on I used a hammer and a piece of wood. I got it down tight enough that it no longer let's the fuel pump housing move at all, but when I topped it off at the gas pump It began pouring gas from The Ring. I am currently debating on how to get it to seat properly. I am glad you discussed this. Looks like I will be removing it and trying to get it back on without removing my tank.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:08 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

If You guys are still around a special thanks to @Jymmm and @dmgctrl

Did my 02 Expo 4x4 fuel pump to the T per directions in post.... worked exllenct my fuel pump died half block from house and i filled it the night before and even squeezed an extra dollar in the tank.... total job time was about an hour this included a trip to the store store for a strainer and pump only change out!!!

thank you very much for posting..... i stumbled on this this morning just before i was going to drop tank after looking for quite a while yestderay.....

-vic

Old 04-03-2019, 12:52 AM
Jymmm
Freshman User
Hi Vic,

Glad the writeup helped =)