6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Super newb questions, basic maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 PM
ChrisAU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super newb questions, basic maintenance.

So, I'm religious about maintenance, but I've never had a diesel until now. I've got a new oil filter, air filter, and the two fuel filters, as well as 4 gallons of Rotella T6 5W-40.

Some super newb questions:

1) Better to change oil with engine hot or cold?
2) Never had a vehicle with this type of oil filter setup - is there any type of pre-filling I should do on the filter? How would I do that?
3) I see I need to drain the fuel water separator before doing the fuel filter on the frame rail, anything special I need to know about?
4) Is the air filter as easy as it looks or am I missing something?

Forgive the stupid questions, just don't want to mess anything up!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM
davbeisner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your oil is warm its probably best... But I'm wary of putting cold oil in a full temp engine. I had a friend crack his block on a car doing that once. Dunno if that coukd happen on a 6.0, but I'd rather not find out the hard way!

Some say its an easier start if you prefill the filter, but I've never done so and never had any trouble.

The water drain is a pain in the butt... You can get an upgraded plug that's much easier. Just be careful not to strip the Allen key hole... Easy to do. Also, after changing your fuel filters, turn the key three times before attempting to crank so that you will run the fuel pump three times... Prevents air from getting into your injectors which is not good.

Air filter is tight, but not a problem.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Edogsf350
Senior User
1) personal preference and I'm sure many will debate the correct way
2) remove drain plug,unscrew oil filters and lift about 1/2 inch and allow to drain
While changing fuel filters.
Install new oil filter into housing install new o ring onto cap after lightly oiling
Tighten until seated. Add oil until at full mark start let run while checking for leaks. recheck oil level after engine is shut off and top off to proper level
3) drain HFCM and remove filter cap and get ready for possible fuel bath
Install new filter into housing install new o ring onto cap after lightly oiling
Remove upper fuel filter and repeat process. Cycle key 3 to 4 times
4) fight with it until you figure out the easiest way to R&R filter

Good luck

Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
So, I'm religious about maintenance, but I've never had a diesel until now. I've got a new oil filter, air filter, and the two fuel filters, as well as 4 gallons of Rotella T6 5W-40.

Some super newb questions:

1) Better to change oil with engine hot or cold?
2) Never had a vehicle with this type of oil filter setup - is there any type of pre-filling I should do on the filter? How would I do that?
3) I see I need to drain the fuel water separator before doing the fuel filter on the frame rail, anything special I need to know about?
4) Is the air filter as easy as it looks or am I missing something?

Forgive the stupid questions, just don't want to mess anything up!
1) it won't matter, probably flows out a little easier, but I have done it both ways
2) You can't pre-fill the oil filter housing, there is a drain on the BTM that gets closed by the filter when the cap is seated all the way.
3) Just be carefull not to strip the drain plug if it isn't already (it's a metric allen head)
4) The air filter is not very easy at all for a first timmer. The easiest way to do them is to remove it in one assembly by lossining the wrom clamp closest to the filter assy, and remove the whole thing, change the filter then reinstall. It is very easy to do this way. If you try to change it in the engine bay you will not be happy and have a hard time of it. When removing the whole assy you will need to pull out the filter minder from the back and unplug the MAF sensor, also remove the line from the degass bottle that goes to the radiator so you don't have to fight it removing filter.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,732 Posts
This should help w/ the air filtyer (it is in our GREAT Tech Folder):
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ir-filter.html

See post #10.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 AM
ChrisAU
Senior User
Thanks everyone, gonna do the oil change this afternoon. Still waiting on the air and fuel filters to come in from Rock Auto.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 AM
ChrisAU
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic
This should help w/ the air filtyer (it is in our GREAT Tech Folder):
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ir-filter.html

See post #10.
Its trying to make me log in before I can view a video, says something about employees only?