Installing my new engine parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM
evilci
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing my new engine parts

Part 1
Well I've been having issues with my engine dieseling, so instead of messing with my old stuff I figured this was my motivation to start installing new parts. I'll be putting in an offy intake manifold, hedman headers, and a 500cfm edelbrock carb.

So, this is where I begin, and I'll keep updating as it goes. I'm a newbie when it comes to pretty much all of this so it'll be slow moving. Here's a picture of my engine before I've really done anything short of replacing vacuum lines and a shiny fuel filter.

Now as you can see, the corrosion in here is pretty nasty, and so far this has been my biggest problem.

Here's the carb out and sitting on my porch

And finally here's where I unfortunately have to stop for the day. Stuck on trying to get the EGR out. If you can see the little red arrow I can't get the damned pipe off.

So I'll keep this updated as I go and I'm sure I'll have more questions once I try to get it started. Any tips or tricks anyone has learned trying to get this done before are always appreciated.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forums!
Looks like you've got a fun project ahead of you. Fortunately, it's been done many times so there'll be plenty of help, should you need it.

As for the EGR pipe, don't worry about it at all. Just unbolt the intake/exhaust manifolds and take the whole thing out in one piece. It'll be heavy, but it's all connected to itself. You won't be needing it again.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM
evilci
Junior User
Thanks, thats what I figured, also having a bit of trouble getting my exhaust disconnected, but that'll probably just need a bit of love (WD-40 and a strong arm). Unfortunately this truck sat for quite a few years on the Florida coast and hasn't ever been broken open. I've seen a lot of other posts with people doing this upgrade and it doesn't look too bad once I get all this crud out of here. I'm probably going to get a smaller starter so the headers won't be smashing against it.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM
evilci
Junior User
Actually a question for anyone who's done it. Any suggestions on what mini-starter to go with? I've been doing some searching around but haven't seen much info from people who've done this kind of upgrade and replaced the starter. The one thats in there is a rebuilt OEM but I'd rather not burn it up and get stuck from the head coming off the headers.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 AM
AbandonedBronco
This particular issue is why most go with using manifolds from a fuel injected engine. They flow very well and there isn't the starter issue. As for which mini starter to use, I'm not sure.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM
joewelds
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are ahead if me so I will be interested how your progress goes.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:32 PM
evilci
Junior User
I'll have more updates tomorrow, went ahead and dove into buying a smaller starter. Got this guy:

East Coast Auto Electric Mini-Starters 2073 - SummitRacing.com

we'll see how well it fits when it comes in later this week. Had to stop this afternoon because I didn't have anything to cut the bolts that hold the exhaust pipe onto the manifold. They are beyond corroded and stuck so I'm just going to forcefully remove them tomorrow then continue with attempting to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 PM
AbandonedBronco
No matter what aftermarket exhaust setup you go to, you won't be able to use the stock exhaust setup so you might as well just cut it off. Make your job a lot easier.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
evilci
Junior User
Success!!!

Now I just need to get some help pulling it out and good to go. On a quick side note, it is particularly difficult to work on this truck when you are short (5'5"), even with a stool my short stubby arms don't reach anything!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM
joewelds
Senior User
Me too

I have a couple 2' chunks of 8"x8" s i use to reach. I'm 5' 10". Hahaha

Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM
AbandonedBronco
Success! And yes, lifting that whole thing out of there is NOT an easy task. It's just plain heavy! A lot easier than lifting the head out though. (Which I've done).

I don't think they're super easy to reach no matter your height. I'm 6'1" and have a stepping stool and am always having trouble reaching stuff.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

While pricey, these are awesome for working in truck engine compartments that you can't sit in.

Amazon.com: REL Stapleton (REL3100) Foldable TopSide Creeper: Home Improvement

One of the shops I used to work in had one similar to this and I love it. If I worked on more trucks besides my own I would buy one.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
x2 on the topside creepers...they'll cost ya some coin, but save you so much headache!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
evilci
Junior User
Originally Posted by Yaga1973
While pricey, these are awesome for working in truck engine compartments that you can't sit in.

Amazon.com: REL Stapleton (REL3100) Foldable TopSide Creeper: Home Improvement

One of the shops I used to work in had one similar to this and I love it. If I worked on more trucks besides my own I would buy one.

Thanks man, I'm sure it'd be a good investment, but I don't know if it's 200 dollar investment worthy. I've been getting too many other parts and it really isn't in the budget

Also, finally got the intake/exhaust manifolds out of the engine. If anyone is looking for a set that isn't too pretty but still working its free to a good home. I'll even ship it if you pay for the costs.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
joewelds
Senior User
Good deal. I am looking to replace my stock exhaust mani with EFI dual manifolds. Can't seem to find them around here.

Quick Reply: Installing my new engine parts