Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering box and shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering box and shaft replacement

id like to replace my steering box and the steering column shaft tomorrow. i have all the parts ready. the only thing im worried about is that my steering wheel will be completely off center when im done. what do i do to keep everything lined up?

Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 AM
bikeymikey
Senior User
What exactly are you replacing? Steering column or steering shaft, or both? The column is what the steering wheel is attached to and the shaft connects the column to the steering box. My guess is you're doing the shaft, in which case don't worry too much, it's hard to mess up.
Set your wheels pointing forward, tie steering wheel with seat belt
Disconnect shaft from column and box
Remove shaft
Disconnect pitman arm, ps fluid lines from box
Remove box
Install new box
Connect new shaft to box.
Rotate shaft by hand all the way to lock, then back two rotations. You have just centered your box. (Edit: Actually, two rotations was what was necessary tok center my steering box. You may have a different one, so to center, spin the shaft from lock to lock, counting the revs. Then spin the shaft back by half that amount.)
Connect shaft to column. If it goes right on, that's a good sign. If not, ya might want to check the previous step.
Reconnect pitman arm. When I did this step I had to make small adjustments with the steering wheel to line up the splines on the sector shaft with those on the pitman arm. Having an assistant will cut down on the exercise.
Re connect lines etc. etc..
Congrats, you're done! No wait, not yet, but you might as well be.

When I did mine, I thought the hardest part was sourcing new bolts for the box. The threads on the old ones got kind of mangled upon removal. If you haven't done that part yet, I recommend getting someone to support the box while you're undoing the bolts. The box is heavy, and that weight can and will damage the bolt threads.
Oh, and if you're using a reman'ed box, I would check the threads for paint, and tap them before installing. Wouldn't want any cross threading here.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bikeymikey
What exactly are you replacing? Steering column or steering shaft, or both? The column is what the steering wheel is attached to and the shaft connects the column to the steering box. My guess is you're doing the shaft, in which case don't worry too much, it's hard to mess up.
Set your wheels pointing forward, tie steering wheel with seat belt
Disconnect shaft from column and box
Remove shaft
Disconnect pitman arm, ps fluid lines from box
Remove box
Install new box
Connect new shaft to box.
Rotate shaft by hand all the way to lock, then back two rotations. You have just centered your box. (Edit: Actually, two rotations was what was necessary tok center my steering box. You may have a different one, so to center, spin the shaft from lock to lock, counting the revs. Then spin the shaft back by half that amount.)
Connect shaft to column. If it goes right on, that's a good sign. If not, ya might want to check the previous step.
Reconnect pitman arm. When I did this step I had to make small adjustments with the steering wheel to line up the splines on the sector shaft with those on the pitman arm. Having an assistant will cut down on the exercise.
Re connect lines etc. etc..
Congrats, you're done! No wait, not yet, but you might as well be.

When I did mine, I thought the hardest part was sourcing new bolts for the box. The threads on the old ones got kind of mangled upon removal. If you haven't done that part yet, I recommend getting someone to support the box while you're undoing the bolts. The box is heavy, and that weight can and will damage the bolt threads.
Oh, and if you're using a reman'ed box, I would check the threads for paint, and tap them before installing. Wouldn't want any cross threading here.

Good luck!
wow thanks! that was a lot if info I was missing.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
just finished the replacement. I did my best to keep everything lined up but now my steering wheel is turned a little to the left when im driving straight. is this something a normal alignment shop can fix? it needed an alignment to begin with so if I can just bring it in and have it 100% aligned rather than pulling the pitman arm again, that would be a lot easier.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM
bikeymikey
Senior User
Congrats! I think that if you can only get it on wrong by 180 degrees. So I'm hoping that it's an alignment that it needs

Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bikeymikey
Congrats! I think that if you can only get it on wrong by 180 degrees. So I'm hoping that it's an alignment that it needs
yeah the steering shaft can really only go on one way. its the pitman arm that may have to be moved if its too much for an alignment to correct. but even if thats the case ill have a shop do it. its really not off by that much. thanks again for all the help it made this alot easier!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by octaneforce
just finished the replacement. I did my best to keep everything lined up but now my steering wheel is turned a little to the left when im driving straight. is this something a normal alignment shop can fix?
Yes, there's a turnbuckle by each tie rod end. Lengthen one side from the pitman arm and shorten the other to center the steering wheel.

When you go in for the alignment, you better make it perfectly clear that you want the steering wheel centered. You better even tell them how to do it. Some techs these days.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM
bikeymikey
Senior User
yeah the steering shaft can really only go on one way. its the pitman arm that may have to be moved if its too much for an alignment to correct. but even if thats the case ill have a shop do it. its really not off by that much. thanks again for all the help it made this alot easier!
You're welcome. I'm happy to have been able to contribute to this really awesome forum.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pitman arm also only goes on one way...

Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Blue Rebel
The pitman arm also only goes on one way...
are you sure? theres many small splines so I figured I was off by a spline or two.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
I'm pretty sure Blue Rebel is correct. I was thinking that also. It won't take much at all with those turnbuckles to center the steering wheel if it's only off a little ways. You could do it yourself with the turnbuckles, but you toe adjustment would be off, and beings you're going to get an alignment anyway.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Theres many small splines, but its also got 4 large keyway splines.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Check the Steering Box Rebuild link in my signature, you should find a lot of useful info there.