6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

EPA has re-worded their verbiage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EPA has re-worded their verbiage?

This was recently updated as when I looked a few months ago, it wasn't worded like this.

Air Enforcement | Enforcement | US EPA

Motor vehicle engines and off-road vehicles and engines must meet CAA emissions standards. These standards apply to cars, trucks, buses, recreational vehicles and engines, generators, farm and construction machines, lawn and garden equipment, marine engines and locomotives. In addition, the composition of fuels used to operate mobile sources, including gasoline, diesel, ethanol, biodiesel and blends of these fuels, are also regulated under the CAA.

Defeat devices. It is a violation of the CAA to manufacture, sell, or install a part for a motor vehicle that bypasses, defeats, or renders inoperative any emission control device. For example, computer software that alters diesel fuel injection timing is a defeat device. Defeat devices, which are often sold to enhance engine performance, work by disabling a vehicle's emission controls, causing air pollution. As a result of EPA enforcement, some of the largest manufacturers of defeat devices have agreed to pay penalties and stop sale of defeat devices.

Tampering. The CAA prohibits anyone from tampering with an emission control device on a motor vehicle by removing it or making it inoperable prior to or after the sale or delivery to the buyer. A vehicle's emission control system is designed to limit emissions of harmful pollutants from vehicles or engines. EPA works with manufacturers to ensure that they design their components with tamper-proofing, addresses trade groups to educate mechanics about the importance of maintaining the emission control systems, and prosecutes cases where significant or imminent harm is occurring.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Yup, just the way it is. As more and more of the systems get out there and they mature it will get better and more reliable.

Question is can we wait that long.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Since I don't know what it said before I'm just gonna guess that they added the brag about dealing with the tuner manufacturers. They're just like their leader, can't miss a chance to brag about what they are doing to the subjects, er i mean citizens. What tuners are left, Spartan and what? Spartan's got to be next, right?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't ever say anything about on/off road use was the main part. The Diesel specific portion wasn't there either.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 AM
frdfan
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircare and the emissions inspections are now phased out in BC,. According to the gov,, newer vehicles are more than compliant with emission standards, and to operate these huge inspection facilities just to inspect a few non compliant cars is not worth the money. In short they are shutting them down.
Note: This is just in BC,, Canada

Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 AM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by frdfan
Aircare and the emissions inspections are now phased out in BC,. According to the gov,, newer vehicles are more than compliant with emission standards, and to operate these huge inspection facilities just to inspect a few non compliant cars is not worth the money. In short they are shutting them down.
Thank god! ( I mean that as a figure of speach, not religious LOL)

Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 AM
frdfan
Senior User

Turned out to be a big waste of money. I m sure it is done at the end of the month as we just got our insurance renewal for Feb 2 and no air care is required,,, its not even mentioned actually,,

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
There are going to still be tuners out there. They will just have to be certified as compliant. My Banks 6-gun is one of them. It is acutally certified in CA. So you don't have to remove it either when going thru the inspections.

I have been running this as the alternative to the DPF delete for at least 60K miles maybe more.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by frdfan
Wow, no wonder Canada is getting rich while we flounder in deep deep debt. What a great act of common sense by a government. I salute you.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Power Strokeme
Junior User
So where is the loop-hole that auto racing gets to use? They're "off-road vehicles" aren't they?