Sponsored by:

New (to me) Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Tacmedic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) Excursion

I have been looking at the threads here for some time, I have a 2001 F150, and have fixed several issues with the help and knowledge that I have gained through this site. I recently bought a 2005 Ex 6.0 and have a few questions. I bought the truck in Mechanicsburg, Ohio and drove it home to Indianapolis. Everything running good, for the trip home I averaged 70mph and 16.4mpg. I did a good amount of research before I decided to take a chance on a 6.0. The first thing that I bought for it was a Bully Dog GT tuner, I picked it up for $100.00 from a friend who had it on a truck that he had recently sold. I set the gauge up to display coolant temp, oil temp, trans temp, and boost. I have set it on no tune and drove the truck to Tampa and back. I have seen coolant temps no higher than 192, but my oil temp has been as high as 216. I am sure that I need to change the oil cooler, and the truck has not been driven since I returned from Florida. I currently do not have any cross contamination between oil or coolant. I installed a coolant filter and bypass oil filtration set up today. My questions are should I drive it with the coolant filter until I have changed the filter three times keeping an eye on the oil temp? or should I just change the oil cooler now and let the filter do its job on the sand? I am going to order the parts that I want to change when I am changing the oil filter such as turbo oil supply and drain, fuel pressure blue spring kit, STC, oil branch lines upgrade, and stand pipes and plugs. I do not intend to change head gaskets or head studs at this time. I have changed all fluids to synthetic lubricants except for engine oil and antifreeze which will be done when I change the oil cooler. I have looked a several threads related to oil cooler upgrades, but have not found one that discusses all of the upgrades at the same time and just want to make sure that I do this all at the same time. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited by Tacmedic; 12-27-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: fix errors
Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 AM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can try to back flush the oil cooler to see if the temp. drop. If the back flush doesn't work, try the chemical flush VC 9, IRRC, or Restore and Restore +. If the temp doesn't drop down to within 15* between the Engine Temp and Oil Temp. Oil Cooler and EGR Coolers replacement will be next.

Beware, time and money will be spent on back flush, several time, with each time about 1 hour. I tried that a few times. I used restore and Restore Plus first, then eventually VC 9 before I changed the EGR/Oil Cooler.

Check with the guys over the 6.0L, very informative and vast information on this subject and other issue with 6.0L

Can you do the work yourself? Do you have somewhere warm to work on the EX?

Be prepare to spend some money on the springs up grade too, V and mod B codes. New DVD, navigation, and back up camera. New shocks, raise roof rack to fit top carrier, bigger tires/rims.

How much did you paid?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:53 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats on the X purchase. You now own the most capable, most sought after SUV on the planet! Welcome!

Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Tacmedic
New User
What are V and B codes? I can turn a wrench and have a warm place to get it done. I have never worked on a diesel, but have exp. with SB Chevy, 4.6L Ford, and Mitsubishi 4G63. I am going to skip the flush and go right to replacing it. When you talk about springs are you talking about valve springs or suspension?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:28 PM
$$$=SPEED
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tacmedic
What are V and B codes? I can turn a wrench and have a warm place to get it done. I have never worked on a diesel, but have exp. with SB Chevy, 4.6L Ford, and Mitsubishi 4G63. I am going to skip the flush and go right to replacing it. When you talk about springs are you talking about valve springs or suspension?
They are suspension springs. Most excusions have the springs get soft and sag. I too was confused with all this "code" talk. I just bought a suspension lift from Pro Comp which came with new springs. Congrats on the new X

Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Tacmedic
New User
Thanks! I have done a lot of reading about the Ex and more about the 6.0 PSD, Trying to get a list together of everything that can or should be upgraded when I change the oil cooler. I had not heard V/X/B code mod before, I thought it might have something to do with a tuner! Thanks again for the info.