Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New zf 5 noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM
90vinG
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New zf 5 noise

Hi gents,
Got a new noise in a zf-5 in a 1990 F250, 460, 4x4, D60 front, 10.25 FF rear, 3.54/3.55 gears.

Did the solid axle swap about a month ago, but drove it around in 2 wheel drive until I got my backup car back from the shop. Got the D60 from a yard, and despite the original (looking) axle ID tag on a bolt, parts in Alaska are shady at best, I wanted to wait to test the front gears.

Went out to an iced-over parking lot and locked in the front hubs, so if the gears didn't match I wouldn't blow my t-case or something else - everything worked out just fine.

I left it in 4x4 for the drive home, and I got a new chatter in gear, clutch down, and 3rd seems to be the worst. When I let off the clutch pedal, either the noise goes away completely, or gets quieter and drowned out by engine/trans running noise.

I put in a new clutch kit a few years ago - pilot bearing, friction plate, pressure plate - the LUK kit did not include a throwout bearing or fork, so I just tossed those back in.

Did a little research, and finding all kinds of chatter claims from different types of flywheels, single mass, dual mass, valair, LUK... bla bla.
I have not replaced the flywheel in the 8 years I have had this truck.
I will be pulling the engine in the next 2 weeks for a LONG overdue build.

Here's my write up from the tans drop, any issues with this flywheel? should I add one to the parts list?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...drop-a-zf.html

Steve

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could it just be your front driveshaft spinning You say it is still in 4x4? maybe out of balance or short due to the solid axle conversion. does it do it in 2wd w/ hubs unlocked?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM
90vinG
Junior User
I will have to double check later. The sound didn't start when I put it in 4x4, but a few miles later. I have the same front drive shaft from the D44HD- it is the compressable type, and stopped 1/4 inch shorter than the 44HD on it's way to full extension, and still has at least 1 inch compression/extension ability, so I don't think it's putting any extra strain on the t case.
The gears looked pretty good when I did the SAS.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM
90vinG
Junior User
Alright,
Just went on a beer run.
House to store, 2wd, no noise from yesterday.
On the way there I encountered a poor old 'burban dead in the ditch. Hooked 'er up, put my truck in tugboat mode, and walked the old chevy a few blocks to the car doctor. The whole short trip in 4 low, no noise like yesterday.
Thought maybe the old girl just felt neglected and wanted to work, so I put it in 4 hi for the drive home... same issues as yesterday, but I paid a little more attention.

The noise only occurs in 4 hi, trans in a gear, clutch down.
2wd and 4 low, no noise.
4 hi, rolling in neutral or in gear with clutch up, no noise.
When I put the clutch in, while I'm pulling it out of gear it sounds like a machine gun, and I can feel the chatter in the shift lever. As I pass through neutral on the way to the next gear the sound stops, as soon as I get it in the next gear with the pedal down, the machine gun comes back. When I come off the clutch, the noise and feeling in the lever go away.

Also, when there's "flex" or "slop" or "wiggle" or whatever you might call it in the drive train, the noise makes a breif comeback. Like when I come off the gas - that little slop between when the engine is pushing the wheels and when the wheels start dragging on the engine.

Almost forgot - the noise is consistent with the transmission speed, not wheel speed... so I hope that means my "new" front axle is good.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe try it with hubs locked T-case in 2wd see if it is still there. Or remove the front drive shaft and drive it in 4wd and 2wd then 2wd with hubs locked if nothing I would say drive shaft. I would think it is the drive shaft. Is there alot of play in the splines on the d-shaft? Bad Ujoint. I have had similar problems caused by bent shaft and wore splines in the slip joint. Also being lifted (i assume it is after the straight axle conversion) requires a lengthened d-shaft.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 AM
90vinG
Junior User
So I drove to the shop Thursday, and the noise stopped halfway there.
Pulled the motor Sunday, and everything looked fine...
I will run it through its courses after it can move under its own power again.