Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Flooding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flooding?

Can ya flood a diesel? So I'm still new to the day in and day out of owning an old diesel. Getting it started I was giving it a lot of throttle, cause that's what I was told to do and what the visor says. But the other day I had a hard time starting it, and when I let off the throttle it started. Today it started really easy with amost no throttle. So what's the deal, what works best, can too much fuel keep it from starting, etc?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 AM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The visor says to give it throttle?!?

Here is what I have always heard, and how both my trucks start perfectly every time.

Key on, wait for WTS light to go out. This should take 8 to 12 seconds at least with a healthy GP system. Depending on how cold it is outside you can depress the pedal to the floor to set fast Idle (this works on one of my trucks, the other always fast idles when cold) with no pedal at all turn key to start position. Both trucks roar to life it 1 to 3 seconds with no pedal at all every time. I'm going to take a vid. in the A.M. For another thread, I'll link it.

Give it a try.

Mac.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by akamacgyver
The visor says to give it throttle?!?
Yup says half throttle over 32deg, full throttle under 32deg

How would more fuel keep it from firing?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
my visor says the same thing yours does, though i find that i don't need to give it throttle, and it roars to life in less than a second cold. warm i usually have to crank for a full second before it catches.
i don't know why letting off the throttle allows yours to start, that seems odd to me.

looks like yours likes to be started on minimal throttle, so give the pedal one quick slap as you're waiting for the GPs, and give it to her how she likes it, with minimal throttle

Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, do what works with your engine. Mine seems to like full throttle for starts. You can't flood a diesel, since there is no spark plug to get wet.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hold my throttle down and let off the second it starts (don't want to rev cold with no oil pressure...lol).

Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine likes the go pedal when cranking too.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I give mine about half throttle and then hold it at 1100-1200 rpm for a little bit, usually about 20-30 seconds and then let it settle to the high idle. I have mine set to about 950.
You don't need to hit the throttle at all to set the high idle, it's engaged by the solenoid that kicks the throttle linkage when powered.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
The only way yo flood a Diesel is to pour fuel down the intake and that results in a hydrolock situation. You can start the truck full throttle if you want, just don't hold it there after it starts.

With my recent return line leak, I find it quicker to start the engine with the pedal to the floor after it has been sitting for a while. Holding it to the floor flows more fuel to the injectors and helps purge the lines. After starting the truck once, I do not need to hold the accelerator for it to start right up.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
So any idea why one engine would like more, and one would like less?

I got a theory, too much fuel injected early cools the glow plugs prior to enough compression to fire. Too little fuel to late won't fire in a lower comp or worn engine? So how much fuel an engine likes to start with depends on timing wear, and glow plug health. What ya all think?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I think it depends on the fuel in the lines. If there is a small bleed back leak or the injectors are leaking, the fuel won't be right at the injectors. All other factors do matter but if the injection and glow system is up to par, the truck should start right away.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Mikey Oldaker
Senior User
okay think about this guys we have a mechanical injection system that runs and only runs when the ip is turning correct. so the answer to this question would have to be no. You can not flood out one of our trucks its just not possible with the design of our fuel delivery system. its not a carb type where you can pump the pedal to give the motor a little squirt of fuel to get her going we dont have holder spots on our intake. as far as how your truck starts the reason the visor says to push the pedal is mainly to ensure that the throttle advance kicks in because some times they get weak and dont want to push that hard any more. the only other reason behind why your truck was probably not starting the other day when you had it floored is because you might have ended up with air in your lines and when you did let off the throttle and it kicked over was because it used what fuel was left in there to prime the motor enough to start. it happens every now and again and even if you look for leaks you wont be able to find them all. unless you have a uv dye that is burnable. other than that it just might be that your #1 cylinder is the only gp working and that might have been the issue also. i could be wrong and if i am someone please say so

Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
I always turned the key to the run position, tapped the pedal to get it to the fast idle position, then started it. My visor said the same thing as well.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
I give mine about half throttle and then hold it at 1100-1200 rpm for a little bit, usually about 20-30 seconds and then let it settle to the high idle. I have mine set to about 950.
You don't need to hit the throttle at all to set the high idle, it's engaged by the solenoid that kicks the throttle linkage when powered.
You do need to hit the throttle to set the high idle, at least on my truck and many others. Thats why the visor says half throttle over 32 degrees. I can't remember if it says hold it there, or tap and release...
The solenoid doesn't have the oomph to push the throttle lever. It will however, hold the throttle at the high setting once you've pushed it forward. I've played with it standing in front of the engine with the key on, engine off and cold.

Mine likes some throttle to start it, usually 3/4 to full when cold. As soon as it fires I lift my foot.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting. Mine kicks you in the foot if you are just resting it on the pedal.

Quick Reply: Flooding?