Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Bad Fuel Leak Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM
jdstudski
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Fuel Leak Frustrations

I'm working with an '89 f250 with the 7.3l idi. BLUF: I put on reman ip and now there is a bad fuel leak that I think is coming from the leak off tee above the #1 injector. There were no fuel leaks before the reman ip was installed.

I've had this truck for almost 9 years and thought I had it pretty well figured out, but now this happens. I was getting really heavy, white smoke out of the exhaust coupled with a really bad idle. After some examination, it was clear that the ip was shot. So, I got a reman ip from Napa and swapped it for the old pump. Engine runs alot smoother and the smoke has completely stopped, which is the good news. The bad news is that after I put the reman ip on and got the truck started I noticed a pretty bad leak coming from what I took to be the leak off tee above the #1 injector (front of engine, passenger side). So, I bought a new leak off tee kit from the parts store and installed the new tees, o rings, and fuel lines. Now the leak is worse than with the old tees but is still confined to only the tee above the #1 injector. What's the deal??? I have some theories, but wanted input from the experts before I bust my knuckles on something that won't fix the problem.

I wasn't excited about the leak off tee kit that I used because it had the ports off-set from the tees, instead of in the center of the tees like the originals. And, the kit with the new stuff had bigger return lines than the original set so that the new line won't fit right with the port going into the fuel filter housing. I had to use a section of the old, smaller return line the going from the #1 tee to the filter housing.

Also, the dynamic timing hasn't been set because I don't have the tools.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Some of the parts store return line kits are junk. If your Ford/IH ones aren't broken, try reusing them with new o-rings. I replaced mine with a cheap kit and had the same problem so I put the factory tees where the others leaked and all was well.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
ihf-350
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine on ebay for 25 dollars and it sou.ds like you got the wrong kit if yors was different the early style jad the smaller centered outlets and the newer style is the offset might be a badfuel line to that cylinder the flare could have gotten messed up when moving it around doing the ip

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
jdstudski
Freshman User
Thanks for the input. I'll try putting the old tees and lines on with the new o rings. I did twist the fuel metal line going into the #1 injector, but that was a long time ago and it hasn't leaked until I put on this new ip. Since the dynamic timing hasn't been set is it possible that the ip is sending too much extra fuel to the injectors causing the last leak off tee (above the #1 injector) to be overwhelmed with fuel as it tries to get the extra fuel back up the the filter?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM
deaninkc
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced my return lines and had the same problem. I left the new o-rings on and put the original caps and lines back on and have no leaks. Most of the aftermarket return lines are junk. There are a couple of good kits out there if you search the forum you will find lots of info.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you bought the wrong kit part # for your particular idi.there are two.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 PM
jdstudski
Freshman User
Found the problem, and, as usual, it was much more simple than I was thinking. The return line going from the #1 injector back to filter had a small tear in it. I put the original tees back on with new orings and new lines. Back in business. Thanks again.