1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Body work, installing patch panels

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:29 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Body work, installing patch panels

The latest issue, Nov 2012, of Street Rodder magazine has one of the best how to articles on installing and metal finishing a patch panel, no filler required. The work, filling the cowl vent on a 40 Ford, was done by Hollywood Hot Rods and the article was written by Ron Covell. IMO Ron is one of the best metal men and is good at explaining how to do it. What he teaches in word and pictures is equal to taking a two day workshop for the 6.00 cost of the magazine (plus you get a month's worth of "library" reading).
There is a video of the process online, but it is put out by Miller, and concentrates on the welding, not the metal finishing, so it is nearly worthless so I won't link to it. The link is in the article, but read the article first and you will appreciate the difference between an infomercial vs a true how to.
If anyone takes my advice and buy's the magazine then has any questions about what you read, post them or send me a PM.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. Patch panel work is in abundance with my projects and my skills sorely lacking. Anything that can help me improve is most welcome.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:51 PM
caberryhill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I have some patching to do and this might just save me some aggravation.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Ill look for a copy. I agree with your opinion of Ron, Ive have a couple of his videos and enjoy his Professer Hammer articles. Boy he makes it look so easy dosent he?

Old 10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I've posted quite a lot of info on doing body work on here. Do an advanced search on my user name in this forum. Also search on body work, welding, hammer, stretching.
A major part of doing patch panel work is first having the right tools, in addition to a gas shielded MIG welder that can use 0.023-0.025 filler wire
(Eastwood has one that works very well, runs on standard 115V household power and is only 299.00 including shipping). There aren't a lot of them to make up a basic set and they can be found used on ebay for less than 100.00 for all. Then they need some reworking and preparation on them. All good metal men know that almost any tool, new or used needs to be adjusted, modified, and/or massaged to work the way they should, it makes all the difference between success and frustration.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
AX,

Thanks for the heads up on the article. Yea, I agree, Ron Covell is a true craftsman. I'm going to hit the newstands a pick up a copy of the magazine.

Thanks
Bobby

Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
The latest issue, Nov 2012, of Street Rodder magazine has one of the best how to articles on installing and metal finishing a patch panel, no filler required. The work, filling the cowl vent on a 40 Ford, was done by Hollywood Hot Rods and the article was written by Ron Covell. IMO Ron is one of the best metal men and is good at explaining how to do it. What he teaches in word and pictures is equal to taking a two day workshop for the 6.00 cost of the magazine (plus you get a month's worth of "library" reading).
There is a video of the process online, but it is put out by Miller, and concentrates on the welding, not the metal finishing, so it is nearly worthless so I won't link to it. The link is in the article, but read the article first and you will appreciate the difference between an infomercial vs a true how to.
If anyone takes my advice and buy's the magazine then has any questions about what you read, post them or send me a PM.
Well I thought the stars had aligned for me as I'm waiting for my plane to Detroit here at the Baltimore airport. I read your post and looked up and there was a news stand. Unfortunately the now only have the Dec 2012 issue. Maybe I can find the article on their website when I get home. Thanks AX

Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I signed up for a 3 yr sub about a month ago. I got the Oct and Nov issues two days apart last week, so I assumed the Nov was the latest issue. If it isn't available online, I can write a how to, I just wouldn't have the pictures to go with it unless someone nearby needs a panel replaced and is willing to bring their truck and the replacement panel to me. I'd be willing to let them assist, look over my shoulder, hold the camera.
Meanwhile how many would be interested in a basic body tool selection, preparation topic?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
I signed up for a 3 yr sub about a month ago. I got the Oct and Nov issues two days apart last week, so I assumed the Nov was the latest issue. If it isn't available online, I can write a how to, I just wouldn't have the pictures to go with it unless someone nearby needs a panel replaced and is willing to bring their truck and the replacement panel to me. I'd be willing to let them assist, look over my shoulder, hold the camera.
Meanwhile how many would be interested in a basic body tool selection, preparation topic?
Well I wish NC was closer to MI as I have two lower cowl panels to replace . . . Pretty straight forward I think now that I have good replacement panels.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
My son and I for two!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
Amazon has it for $6.99 for the november 2012 issue. Ax is this the issue?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lowtrkn2k
Yes, that's it.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by lowtrkn2k
Got it. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Thumbs up

. . . how many would be interested in a basic body tool selection, preparation topic?
I would be interested.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
ok I'm going to order it. Thanks Ax!