Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
What's the trick?

Oh smarter people...

What is the trick to removing the inside door handle on a '49? I have gotten the outside handle and the latch assembly loose from the door frame but haven't figured out the next step. Recalling my history, I have not yet unleashed to brute force solution to free the handle. Should I?

Thanks guys,

DW

19 and 49 F1 jes' like Henry II built

DW
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Senior User

imabaka is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am interested in this as well for my newly acquired 49. I'd imagine there is a clip .......I went out and looked in the dark with a flash light. The small piece of the trim ring around the handle pushes in and it looks like there is sum sort of pin holding the handle on.

project 49 F1 ---> http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...1-project.html
Old 10-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
I had a light and a mirror and didn't find anything. The Shop Manual helpfully instructs one to 'Remove the inside door handle'. Gee, thanks Henry...

DW
Old 10-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior User

i can run out a get a picture i think

Old 10-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
While magicians don't usually reveal their secrets, I will.

There's a pin that runs through the handle and the mechanism shaft. Pry down the escutcheon, find the pin, push it out with a punch and pull out the handle.

Click the image to open in full size.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Senior User

somebody beat me to it.... when i went out to snap picture ended up helping neibhor unload a motorcycle out of the back of a pickup.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior User

1low50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The intererior bezel is spring loaded. Just push the smaller portion of the ring towards the door (or pull the bigger ring away from the door) can't remember right now, and you will see a small pin holding the handles on. The same thing for the window cranks.
Push the pins out and pull the handles off. That's it.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Next time, don't help the neighbor.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Junior User

tomrflorida is starting off with a positive reputation.
inside handles

I just did my 49 F1 when you push the cover back you will see a hole for a roll pin just use a small punch to remove it. There were 2 pins on each of my handles and window cranks
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks guys - excellent guidance and response!

Two bonus questions:

What is the purpose of the material that I've seen inside of the door frame behind the regulator (opposite of the inspection panel). This stuff was factory applied and now looks like a dried plaster-ish coating.

What is the cure for an exterior door handle that doesn't move the latch mechanism despite being properly seated? (This is the reason I needed to remove the latch assembly in the first place.)

DW

Reps given.

DW
Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Post Fiend

First answer (guess): sound/temperature proofing
Second answer: Worn out cams or mechanical componets in the latch.

Take a look through the two photo albums of the latch assemblies that I have repaired.

Repair 1 pictures by modelking1 - Photobucket
48-52 Door latch mechanism REPAIR pictures by modelking1 - Photobucket

EDIT: If you want to send me your latch mechanism, I can see what's wrong with it and possibly repair it.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Posting Guru

Thanks for the offer Ilya. I may just leave it alone for now and keep it for a winter project - when the truck is off the road.

DW

DW
Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Post Fiend

Just let me know.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks