Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filter change and battery re-charge and not NO START

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 AM
DieselRugger
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter change and battery re-charge and not NO START

Guys, I am hoping for some guidance here. I have an 89 F350 7.3L engine. Sorry for the length of this post, but I am hoping to provide enough info in the first go-round.

We typically don’t drive this truck very often, we bought it to pull my wife’s horse trailer and sometimes we will go weeks without starting it… I know we need to crank it up more, and with hunting season starting at the end of the month, she will be driving it at least once a week.

Last week we went to move the beast and it would not crank and as we tried it sounded like we were just draining the batteries, so I pulled them and hooked them up to the battery charger. They are now both ~ 12VDC. While doing this I also changed the fuel filter… no idea when it had been done before we bought it. While changing the filter I noticed that there was a small red wire that was supposed to be hooked up to the bottom of the filter. The connector was still attached, but the wire had been cut. I put on a new connector and reattached it when I replaced the filter. Also, I filled it up with clean diesel before installing.

Well I hooked up the batteries and cleaned the posts and connectors (replaced one of them) and went to go start it last night, but no start.
Wife got in and turned the key and the WAIT TO START light came one and then went right back off, the relay was clicking and once it stopped she tried to crank it up and it would not crank. It sounded better as the batteries were now charged, where last week, it just sounded like it was dying, due to the low charge in the batteries. We tried a few more times but still no start.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong here?

I used to have a VW Jetta 1.9L diesel that was air locked once and when I replaced the fuel filter and tried to flush it all through I just had to keep cranking to get the air out and enough fuel in the engine to start it and once I got it to start and drove it around it cranked up each time after that.
Could the issue be that when I replaced the filter there was still just a little bit of air that needs to be pushed though the engine and I should keep trying? I am hesitant to just keep trying to crank it, in fear of burning out the starter, but just not sure if I need to just keep pushing it.

Typically, I have been turning it on, wait for the relay to stop clicking, and trying to crank for about 15-20 seconds and then turning it off for about 20-30 seconds and then trying again.

Thanks for your time and any advice/help on this one!

Brooks

PS, Last November I replaced the glow plugs and the Glow Plug Controller, as I was having issues getting it started without the block heater on it and once I got all of that replaced it had been starting up fine.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums Here is a link to the page for your engine, maybe ask the guys there.
However first thing I would do is check each glowplug in turn. Anything other than Motorcraft or Beru plugs will only last a few starts.
You are right to let the starter rest between cranking for 20-30 secs but probably best to give it about 2min between cranks.
Also you can depress the core of the Shraeder valve on the filter head while cranking it over on the starter to clear any air out of the filter.
Good luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM
DieselRugger
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,

Sorry about the wrong forum, I have also moved it over.

I did replace the glowplugs with Motorcraft, when I replaced the starter relay and Glow Plug Controller.

Thanks for your help and I will give the shraeder valve a shot next time.