1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

cranks wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
genbryan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cranks wont start

My 1996 truck will crank, but will not start. I hear the glow plug relay actuating when I turn the key to the on position. For a few days before, it was getting harder to start, but would start on the second turn of the key. I just bought it and one thing I haven't looked at is the fuel filter, but lets pretend its good because I'm going to go look at it after this input. And the same for the air filter.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Gobstopper909
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would definitely check/replace your fuel filter and clean your fpr screen. also check the glow plug relay (gpr) to see if your glow plugs are getting juice. I usually arc the terminals to check (there might be a better way) for about 10-15 seconds. if it starts, its your gpr. hope this helps

Old 09-17-2008, 12:21 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
genbryan, Welcome to FTE, I think you will find alot of answers here, and we're glad to have you.

First and foremost, does the tach move when you try to start it?

Next, does it smoke out the tailpipe while you try to start it?

Answer those questions and we can take you alot further..

Old 09-17-2008, 04:23 PM
genbryan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cranks wont start

I got it started today! Come to find out my booster battery was 100% dead. I had only checked it a couple of weeks ago though. I put a new one in it then it started right up, but now I think I might have a different problem. I didn't have enough time to test it to see if it was actually bad before I traded it in. I'm thinking that that particular battery might not have been getting charge somehow or maybe a short. Any Ideas? Thankyou for the replies that you have already sent me. As for the fuel filter, its fine. No black smoke comes out the exhaust ever since I bought it and I've never before thought about looking at the tachometer while starting. I've always used the sound of the engine to tell whats going on while sarting it, but I will start looking at that, thanks.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:27 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is no booster battery, they are tied together at all times. use a voltmeter to check alternator output