Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm pulling the trigger... need input!

In my shopping cart:
  • Casserly 165 Stage 2 remans
  • Garrett GTP38R Turbo
  • Overboost fooler
Some have followed my plans for Stinky and may be wondering why the remans, instead of new. I made a recent discovery about my truck and my original reasons for new injectors have been circumvented. I still have to confirm this discovery before I announce the details and pull the trigger this weekend, but I'm pretty sure it's the real deal. With my current mods in my signature in mind, here are my questions:
  1. Do the injectors and turbo come with all the seals I need, or do I have to order anything separately?
  2. I know my boots hold up to 30 PSI without issue, is there anything that I really should order with this to make the package work properly?
Please go easy on me... this ammo round (with injector deposit) has a $4000 wad in it so far.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
It should come with everything you need. It seems like there may be one o-ring that comes with the 38-R that is wrong, but it's not one of the oil related o-rings. If you buy from Bob, he'll include the missing o-ring at no charge. You might check his site to be sure. Seems like he tells you which o-ring isn't included. (dieselorings)

If you're boots are holding, then you can keep using them for now. Those are easy enough to change anyway. You've already got the bellowed up pipes, so you're good there.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 AM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subcribed to this build when im done with my corrado, i want to some type of snail(s) upgrade also

Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

I made a recent discovery about my truck and my original reasons for new injectors have been circumvented. I still have to confirm this discovery before I announce the details and pull the trigger this weekend, but I'm pretty sure it's the real deal.
Waiting to find out what you found............................................. .....................................

Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 38R comes with the turbo oring for the e99 if I remember. I ordered my 38R from DieselORings and it came with the correct one you need. If I remember correctly if you get the 38R from Riffraff, Clay adjusts the wastegate better than stock? Call and ask for sure.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 293 Likes on 152 Posts
The turbo and injectors will come with what you need for a successful installation.

The 38R comes as a kit with the intake boot and o-rings necessary for the installation.

You've done job studying things and now it's time to reward yourself for being a good student!

Good size injectors, enough air to push them, you already have the T500 and Clay's Frx, you're good to go!

Pull the trigger without fear...

Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
The turbo and injectors will come with what you need for a successful installation.

The 38R comes as a kit with the intake boot and o-rings necessary for the installation.

You've done job studying things and now it's time to reward yourself for being a good student!

Good size injectors, enough air to push them, you already have the T500 and Clay's Frx, you're good to go!

Pull the trigger without fear...

LoL! Good advice right there!! That will be a good combo and will make for a damn fun truck!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you can afford it get Riffraff's plenum boots. They are WAY nicer and tougher than the stock ones. The plenum inserts are nice too. Billet plenums are even nicer. You can get his clamps and make sure the boots are nice and tight. You should be pushing 40 lbs of boost. Wish I had the cash for injectors. I'm jealous!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:59 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 816 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

In my shopping cart:
  • Casserly 165 Stage 2 remans
  • Garrett GTP38R Turbo
  • Overboost fooler.

You do not need the boost fooler if you have DP "codes" tunes. Instead x2 on Clay's Plenum Reinforcing Inserts and boots with constant torque clamps while it is all apart. The stock boots and clamps might hold up, but this setup is bullet proof. Also mod the passenger fuel rail to prevent a leak while in there.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:53 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with everything posted here....

tugly, if you need any help let me know.

Sorry for the hijack, but you staying safe over there? Looks like those fires are getting pretty bad.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
Agree with everything posted here....

tugly, if you need any help let me know.

Sorry for the hijack, but you staying safe over there? Looks like those fires are getting pretty bad.
We typically get fire season over here, and we endure the haze - but this was ridiculous. I'd wake up feeling like I was sleeping in a lawn chair... downwind from a camp fire. We could see the haze between our back window and the trees, like a brown fog - and our visibility was limited to about 100 yards. We watched the storm and saw the lightning strikes actually start the fires above the city, then we got a nice light show for two nights with the 30 MPH sustained winds. Once the wind died, the whole valley turned into campfire soup until last night. I guess a particulate count of 500 is supposed to be bad for people, we got up to 750 (according to somebody in-the-know).

Thanks for all the feedback everybody! I'll be getting to the reps as soon as I can take more time to sit. I was cranky this morning... knowing I was going to face disaster under the hood. I had a Stinky day (all back projects caught up) and I have a ton of new data to digest and pictures to take and share. Just looking at the early numbers, I'm even more confused... so now I pull out all my receipts and look at part numbers for stuff installed. In a nutshell, Stinky has too much boost for the tunes I have (22 PSI in stock?). I want to figure out why this is happening before I power up even more. More coming....

Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing....waiting to see your discovery

Old 09-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Subcribing also. Want to know what your doing.

Chet

Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
This was supposed to be simple - noisy injectors need replacing, so break out the Buck$Zooka. ...pleah... I'll briefly hit "Replay" to get this topic up to speed.

The PMS trigger:

Part Number for ctrl-C (copy) and ctrl-V (paste): 5C3Z9VE527BRM

Looking up the part number [LINK]

No help there, so I look harder [LINK]

You'll see a big... fat... AD to the right of the number. No Motorcraft number for ACs, so the right part went in - even though "screwed" and "pants on" come to mind.

My problem - my tunes are hotterenhell: 22 PSI boost in stock, 28 PSI and an SES light in 60e, and 30+ in 80e.

Stock Tune 4in Exhaust.MP4 - YouTube

How many here can get those numbers with stock injectors? I talked to Jody and he found my numbers incredible... as in not credible. Nobody can argue with a video of my boost gauge, so we need to find the root cause of this overpuff. Jody and I speculate that the injectors could have big nozzles, but this sends me into a spiraling panic: Two were replaced by the dealership and stock nozzles in #3 and #7 (in firing order sequence) would cause real harm to Stinky's guts. CCT time!

Nothing remarakble there. How about in gear, where I hear the injector knock from time to time....

I've seen worse than this on new injectors... so much for our theory, but I'm gunna sleep great after a few days in panic mode. I checked the MAP and the boost sensor accuracy against each other... it's off. The boost is higher than the map reading, but only in higher boost numbers. Low boost dead on, but the higher the boost goes, the readings spread more and more. Pressure differential? I'd better have a look at the sensor (installed by a mechanic, not me).

Quick Reply: I'm pulling the trigger... need input!