Sponsored by:

No Regrets Bronco/ Cummins Bronco Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Oldironsfury
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking No Regrets Bronco/ Cummins Bronco Build

My brother told me I should join the site, so I did. My build on this Bronco has been going on for 3 years now. I have slowly bought and stashed away parts for this build over many moons of time. From a Hamilton Cam or the SourceAutomotive Compounds all the way to the very start of the purchase in VT. of the 130k mile 12V 215HP Cummins. It has been slow progress, with many days of wanting the bronco back on the road, but slowly and surely its getting there. It has been a long time coming with more then a year of planning before I actually bought the first swap parts. I have ran into many people in the world of Diesel power from the so called ''know it alls'' to the great and knowledgeable experienced, that are out there to actually help. I have learned alot so far, with plenty Im sure to still learn.
This Bronco I've tried to go the correct route from the start. I started with a good shape 1978 Bronco, drove the 351 for a year (this made me very tired of emissions/gas engines otherwise known as noise makers) for years prior I always pondered of a Cummins swap in a 78-79 Bronco. In between leaving for bootcamp in the US Army I started buying little things for a swap, a mishap of me breaking the 9'' rear end caused me to go with a good friend of mine to NH to get a good Dana 70 rear. That was how it all started the thoughts of a dependable/comfortable/powerful adventure rig, for going camping in distant states from home, to hopefully a cross country cruise. Anyway flash forward to today september 2012, I'm still missing a few key parts from a NV4500 and clutch setup to handle the compound setup. To a rebuild kit for the front 78 Ford kingpin HP Dana60 also a set of either 90HP or 140 HP injectors 1,000$ doesnt come easy. This doesnt include the speed bumps of deciding to use lizard skin on the fire wall and floor to deaden sound. or welding in a set of hoop shock mounts just to make the suspension ride a little better. From the rear Deaver 6'' lift springs and 37'' tires mounted to the dana 70 I have made 5 steps forward every week. Then sunday rolls around and you find out you are 6 steps back with new ideas, better improvements, or your own custom ideas that fall into your head.
Either way i wouldnt trade this build or the time spent on it. My Brother was a big influence from when I stole his old Fourwheeler magazines out of his room, to when I was around 14 years old, with him telling me about the LOUD reliability of the CT State owned Duece and a halfs he drove. At that time he didnt know, neither did my other brother, that I was planning a great build in the future.
My brothers have been a great help from the time they knew of this Bronco build, from the ball busting of motivation. To the actual part of educating and opening my eyes to different ways of getting the swap well on its way.
I hope i can keep updating this site on the build progress, it has slowed over the past 3 months, when you have a decent girlfriend time goes elsewhere. Although she has helped me with the install of the 220 hamilton Cam. haha, but with no worries this build will be finished to the end. For anyone reading this that wants to do a build, dont rush, take your time. It sucks all the time your favorite 4x4 is off the road, but it will surely be well worth it.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Twistedwrench
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty good re cap - need pictures ;-)