6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Can the hpo-rail leak enough to cause a no-start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the hpo-rail leak enough to cause a no-start?

Just got finished bragging in the 'It's time to say bye bye" thread how great my truck is, next day it did a no-start hot again. I've had a couple of these, replaced the stand pipes and dummy plug o-rings when I did injectors and they only lasted 6000 miles and blew, chalked it up to some e-bay guy selling me the old o-rings as new ones, then blew out some injector o-rings, chalked it up to cheap Bostech injectors, so when this happened, I was sure it would be the ones under the other valve cover.
Did the air test, and couldn't really hear anything but a slight hiss coming out from under the passenger side valve cover...the side I'd already replaced the injector o-rings on. Pulled it apart, and found nothing wrong. Injector o-rings look perfect, stand pipe and dummy plug looked perfect. Set the oil rail on the bench, and clamped 4 rubber plugs on the injector sockets, covered the standpipe with my finger and hit it with air, and one of the sockets was leaking. This has happened before, and an Italian tuneup will cure it (full throttle for a few miles), however, this time it won't.
Any other time I've done the air test, there was no mistake where the leak was, this time, I can't tell. I never hear of any of the techs talking about replacing the o-rings under the sockets, but I can't think of anything else. (I'm only getting 0.056 volts at the ICP - the same as usual when it had a hpo leak, and it starts cold, and runs great) Could the hpo rail be the problem?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Leak test with valve cover off and rail installed.
It could be the O-ring at the top or the rail nipple.
There is a took for replacing the nipple and I hear that
the O-ring can be replaced. Just it's a bear.
This is the tool to do the nipples
Socket High Pressure Oil Rail Ford Powerstroke 6.0L T444E ICP Leak Repair Tool | eBay
The injector top O-rings you will have to ask where to get them I only know is they
did not come from Ford.

Sean

Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Leak test with valve cover off and rail
The injector top O-rings you will have to ask where to get them I only know is they
did not come from Ford.

Sean
BLADE had mentioned to me before that the alliant o-ring kit has the top one in it. comes as kit cant buy then separately.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

lupuseven, Yes, you can get the kit from Alliant, I bought some a few months back. You can also get the kit from Ford, but it comes with a new injector...
I did test the oil rail on the engine with the valve cover removed, just a gentle hissing.
Ok, as I was typing this, I was on the phone to my trusted diesel place, and he told me the socket o-rings are in the injector o-ring kit that I already have here. So, I guess I'm gonna build a socket to get those things out - I don't want to pay $150 and wait for 10 days for the thing to show up in my PO box.
I wonder why Navistar couldn't have made a few more places on the HPO to leak - 30 isn't hardly enough.
8 injector o-rings.
8 high pressure rail o-rings.
2 stand pipes with 3 o-rings each.
2 dummy plugs with 2 o-rings.
2 branch tubes.
1 STC fitting.
1 plug in HPOP. (I think)

As an aside, if anybody in the Alberta area has problems, call Taber Diesel. These guys are friendly, will take time to explain stuff to you without selling you anything, and can fix anything. A modern day business with old fashioned values and service, they rock.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

John go on the Alliant web site and it shows you how to remove the O rings . And as far as i know the motorcraft O ring kit doesn't have that O ring . How do i know this have changed O rings and there not there . And ford recommends changing injectors when they are bad .

Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Couldn't find it. Great parts, sucky website.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
ALIANT POWER INJECTOR ORINGS PART# AP0002
http://alliantpower.com/seals.html

Holy smoke they changed there website

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

No, I couldn't find the part on how to change the o-rings in the rail. I already have the AP002 kits from when I changed the injector o-rings.

Was working on it till about 10 minutes ago, dropped the torx down under the motor, cussed for a couple of minutes and came in the house. I HATE those 2 torx headed bolts under the HVAC.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
BLADE35
Thanks for that link
I tried to pass on some reps but got this
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BLADE35 again.

Sean

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
John Irwin
Elder User

I will spread some reps around when I get this thing running, and I will come back and post what happened. I try to complete these threads with an answer to the problem, and make the title searchable so maybe we can help somebody in the future.
Nobody has said if the rail o-rings can leak enough to cause a no-start, but I'm assuming they can, and that's what my problem is. Trying to get my hay up, just lost the long weekend to our local rodeo, and trying to get my 1979 F150 ready for the car show this weekend, and the drag races the next, so the poor old Super Duty is kind of getting ignored.

Decided to rep right now, and I got the same thing about Blade35, I guess I've repped him half to death already...

Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
The truck can wait the hay can't.
Have fun at the car show. Hard work can be so much fun.

Sean

Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

John yes they can leak enough to cause a no start , mine did . but i went with new injectors instead of doing the O rings .

Old 09-05-2012, 08:50 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

I'm talking about the o-rings IN the high pressure oil rail itself, not the injector o-rings. That's where the air is leaking from in the air test. Spent 2 hrs this afternoon building a tool to get the nipples out. It's a real pain - the rocket scientists that designed them left about 20 thousands of an inch between the nipple and the edge, I had to build 6 separate pieces with lots of grinding and finessing, then weld the pieces together. Got one nipple out and stripped the tool. The one on e-bay is 150 bucks and at least 10 days away in Texas, or I wouldn't have bothered.
I'm heading to the border tomorrow to pick up some race parts, and I'm going to drop the rail off at Taber Diesel (one more shameless plug for them) and let them work on it. The o-rings weren't in the AP002 kits anyways.
I want my truck back!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Yes the rail O rings they are the ones that cause the hot no starts .

Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
David - I don't think he is talking about the dummy plugs. I think he is referring to the recessed plugs that are part of the rail itself (or maybe also the end caps). I have never heard of them leaking:

You can see the plug in between the ball tubes (two on each side):
2005 Update Page 05 Turbo High Pressure pump/Discharge tube-Oil Branch Tube-IPR Valve

Quick Reply: Can the hpo-rail leak enough to cause a no-start?