1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Planning a Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Jayman_53
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a Project

Hey All,

I'm new to this site and new to rebuilding Ford trucks, but I'm about to start a new project. I've recently dug my father's '53 F250 out of the mud from our family's farm and will be bringing it home this weekend. I'm planning on taking it down to the fame and rebuilding it for weekend driving and maybe a street show here and there. Now that I'm about to start my project plan, I've got some decisions about upgrades to make.

My question for everyone here is, what upgrades (and why) would you make or not make on a truck like this?

Some that I'm currently considering are:

1) Add a box on the back (it's currently a stake side)
2) Add turn signals
3) Add disk brakes (Front, Back, Both?)
4) Add an overdrive

I'm fairly certain that I'm going to do 1, 2, and 3 but I'm still on the fence on 4.

This is the truck I'm working on. (I hope the link works, if not you can see it in the photo album on my account)

Last edited by Jayman_53; 08-29-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: picture update
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE. We love F-250s. I like your plans, 'cept maybe the rear disc brakes. You don't really need them if you have front discs.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE!
We love pictures in the posts (because some of us are lazy, and we need to feed our addiction)

Here's one way to post pics in your posts:

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Jayman_53
New User
Thanks

Thanks for the help on the picture. I updated the original post so you can now see my project.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:43 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Man, you weren't kidding about digging it out of the mud! If it's been axle-deep in muck for a long time, I'd make sure the frame and undersides of everything are still solid enough to be usable. Wet dirt has a way of eating steel very quickly.

Replacing the stake bed with a pickup box definitely helps take away the farmer look, if that's what you're looking to do. There's a couple of things to keep in mind, though. An F250 is a long wheelbase truck and needs a long, 8 foot bed. Those are not reproduced and finding a good one with matching fenders and running boards could be a challenge. An alternative would be taking a chunk out of the frame behind the cab to shorten the wheelbase, or finding a replacement half ton frame so you can use the standard short box. The short box and associated parts are all readily available and will make your project a lot easier to complete.

Turn signals are a must in today's traffic. No one knows what hand signals mean, anymore.

As mentioned, front discs are an improvement. Rear discs are overkill.

If you're replacing or updating the drivetrain, going with an overdrive trans is a worthwhile investment and in the big picture is no more work than setting up a different non-o/d trans.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayman_53
Thanks for the help on the picture. I updated the original post so you can now see my project.
You're welcome!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Jayman_53
New User
I got the truck home this weekend, and I have good news and bad news.

The good news is my cousin decided to "help" me out without letting me know. He pulled it out of the mud (the frame is fine by the way, and so are the wheels and axles) and started the dismantling effort.

The bad news is he "got rid of" the parts that "weren't good" . Including the engine, transmission, and bench seat to name a few. So now, I've gone from a mostly complete truck to rebuild to a search for replacements for missing parts...not to mention I now have no pictures of how things were before they were taken apart...he's made a tough job muck tougher...but not impossible.

More good news is that most of the body is solid, only spots that are rusted through are on the back corners of the cab and one small spot on the passenger's side floorboard, and the gas tank was rusted through and "gotten rid of".

Anyway, here's a picture of it on the way home. Most of the parts are in the cab because there was plenty of room without the seat

Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow!! that sucks. I hope ya chewed his *** out butt good.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did he paint it up a bit too? Thankfully almost every part of these old trucks are being reproduced. It sucks not having original pieces even if they would have needed to be replaced, but in a way it also frees you up to put whatever you want in there too. Don't worry about figuring out how it went together, many people on here will be able to provide detailed pictures, measurements, how tos and everything else you could need.

How did he get rid of the old parts? It's a shame on the powertrain, you wouldn't have gone over 50mph with it, but they where bullet proof . Someone on here might have a good one for you, many of us swap them out for more power .

Great looking project, excited to see it come together. Besides if all goes according to plan its not really a build, who knows, not having the parts you would have used might have been a God send in the end of it all.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jay,
Welcome Aboard! That's a nice looking truck - much better all freed up
from that mud! I had to look up Prosper, Tx - You are up by McKinney according to google.

There are patch panels for the cab corners - pretty much everyone on here had fun with those. We also had rusted floor boards on the passenger side - there are remanufactured floor panels also. Nice to see your cousin left you with the doors & hood - those are harder to come by!

What did he do with the stuff "that was no good"? There are a lot of choices for seats - there is an article up in the "new guy section" that outlines what will fit which years. I used an S-10 seat I found already reupholstered out of Houston.

Nice to have you here. Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1, 351W, AOD

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
I, too, am curious where your cousin 'got rid of' the stuff to. If it's some local scrap dealer there's a chance you can get it all back. You probably don't want the gas tank, though. They're cheap to replace and having a new one is good insurance for peace of mind for a good running truck. It eliminates one thing that can contaminate your system and cause you never ending driveability problems and grief. That's the one favor he did do for you.

For being as neglected as it was for so long, it looks like a pretty good starting place for a great project.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your cousin must move fast. Hope he left you the fenders and grill. Looks like he took the cab off too. Now it will be easier to go to the darkside...

Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome home Jayman, you have got yourself a nice project, but you might ask your cousin to pump his brakes and slow down a little. Your going to have a lot of fun bringing that beautiful ole Gal back to life, and all of us fello FTE'rs will enjoy watching and helping as you do it.