Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2012, 09:48 PM
New User

tomshelby is starting off with a positive reputation.
PATS, dead odometer and scanner not connecting

I have done alot of searching and reading about the PATS sytem and the blanked odometer.
Ill start with some useful info on my project. I stripped a 2000 lightning and have installed the complete running gear, electronics and wiring into a 56 f100 (pics at shelbycars.blogspot.com ).
Click the image to open in full size.
The project has been on stand-by for about 4 years until I started working on it again about a month ago. Ive spent the last few weeks installing the harness, electronics etc. Finally friday I installed a battery and turned the key to see what would happen.
first, I noticed the odometer showed "-------". I have read the threads about the blank odometer so I will repair that monday when I get to the shop.
second, the security light was flashing and would not engage the starter. (I do have the coded key and transceiver ring in the system from the donor)
third, I tried for several minutes to connect my innova scanner and it would not link to the vehicle. Finally it linked and I noticed that the odometer was working. Before I was able to pull the codes I lost the connection.

My questions are
1 Does the odometer connection affect the scanner? or just coincidence?
2 Does the odometer connection affect the PATS?
3 Does the key, inst cluster have to be re-programmed due to being disconnected for 4 yrs?
4 Does the transceiver ring have to be programed to the system? I assume it just passes the info to the cluster and woud not need programming

I know that the instrument cluster is a key part of PATS system but not sure about the scanner comm port.

Im not looking for opinions or guesses or "I would think's." Only experienced individuals who have a very good understanding of the systems.

I appologize for my spelling, missing letters and extra letters. Smashed my finger and typing sucks with a huge bandage
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
Your symptoms are of a PCM that is not being properly powered. An additional data point would be to observe if the MIL is coming on during initial prove-out.

If the PCM does not receive proper power at start-up, the usual set of observations would be 1) No MIL, 2) Odometer "------", 3) No PATS prove-out, 4) No OBDII connection, and 5) No start.

If this were still in the original vehicle, I'd suggest focusing on the PCM Power Relay.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Elder User

70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.
+1 on the PCM relay. Seen it many times. If the cluster cant talk to the PCM then you have those symptoms. Either the PCM isn't getting power or ground, or you have a network concern.
Every 5.4 3V owner should have Lisle tool #65600
8L3Z-6M280-B updated VCT solenoids for 5.4 3V rattle
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM
New User

tomshelby is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks both of you. I am running the complete lightning harness with all relays etc so ill look into the relays, grounds etc. Thanks again
Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Sorry Tom, I can't help because I suck at anything electronic/electrical but I had to post up and tell you I think your project is baddass!

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Freshman User

Poolshark1321 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is a great idea, thanks for sharing... loving the way that 56 looks man keep up the good work!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150