84&04
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1984 F250 Issues :(

Truck:
-1984 F250 Diesel (ATS Turbo)
-4x4
-Manual

Heres the issue... My friend wanted an older diesel truck, and alas we found this 1984 f250. The ad said new fuel pump new fuel lines... But while cranking, it just spins and spins and spins.... i cannot tell if it is getting fuel, but the water/fuel seperator on top the engine has some fuel, as i am not inclined with these,(infact i am quite retarded) i have no idea what is wrong with it.

-I cannot hear the fuel pump turn on. infact im not sure where it is.

can anyone point me in the general direction of where i should even start?

Thanks, Tyler
<!-- / message -->

Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You cant hear the fuel pump because it is mechanical. There is a 'wait to start' light on the dash, how long does it come on if it comes on? Do you have white/grey smoke out the exhaust while cranking?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 PM
84&04
Senior User
No smoke

ive got zero lights, except a glowing "Glow Plug" light on the bottom half of the dash.

on a second note, the engine temp guage flashes while cranking. is that normal?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:04 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Lots of things to check. Like posted, check how long the WTS light comes on. If the GPs aren't working, you won't get it started without starting fluid (and DO NOT USE IT if the GPs are working AT ALL!).

Let us know, and we can troubleshoot and work it down to what it actually is. Don't want to throw out a dozen ideas that will overwhelm you.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 PM
84&04
Senior User
Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
Lots of things to check. Like posted, check how long the WTS light comes on. If the GPs aren't working, you won't get it started without starting fluid (and DO NOT USE IT if the GPs are working AT ALL!).

Let us know, and we can troubleshoot and work it down to what it actually is. Don't want to throw out a dozen ideas that will overwhelm you.

ive got no wait to start light, and since its got the ats turbo, if i were to try the starting fluid would i shoot it in the turbo ?

and is there anyway to test the glow plugs? im so new to the IDI's its disgusting

Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Don't stress it, we've all been in the same boat. This is the diesel I learned on.

Before you try starting fluid, disconnect the GP controller (hookup on the back of the driver side of the intake) Pull the air filter and give it a little spray there. It takes a small amount to fire. When I cooked my GPs, it would fire right up in below freezing mornings with a tiny spray.

With all the good folks here, we'll walk you through it.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 PM
84&04
Senior User
Man, i may have to start worshiping you instead of google. ill have to scour the garage and find some starting juice. is there any other alternative (brake cleaner?) and if i find some i guess its time to brave the misquitos and pull a GP wire lol

Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 AM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 84&04
Man, i may have to start worshiping you instead of google. ill have to scour the garage and find some starting juice. is there any other alternative (brake cleaner?) and if i find some i guess its time to brave the misquitos and pull a GP wire lol
You could soak a rag in gasoline, wring it out a bit, and then just set that in the air cleaner. The fumes will get sucked into the engine and fire off, same as starting fluid. But you do need to disconnect the glow plug controller or else the burning gasoline fumes will ruin the glow plugs.

DON'T pour gas down the intake, and if you do us starting fluid, use very sparingly. Brake cleaner would probably work, but that doesn't mean I'd try it.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Just make sure NONE of those GPs are lighting up if you use starting fluid.

Rag soaked in gas, WD-40 I've heard, etc. I've only used starting fluid, tried the gas rag trick and couldn't get it to fire (ancient gas out of my TBird, that it wouldn't run on). Stick with the starting fluid if you can.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:07 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
tried brake cleaner, not much luck, tried wd40 not much luck, smallest amount of starting fluid left in the can and it made it fire....x2 on disabling glow plugs,j spin motor over, little shot of spray, and your off

Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Ether is cheap and can be had just about anywhere and is how i start my pickup daily. Still have a hiccup in my GP controller i think... anyway. Your "glow plug" light, how long does it stay on? I would say you need to grab a test light and check a glow plug lead to make sure the plugs are getting power and for how long. Also, there is a quick easy test to do that will tell you if youre GPs are burnt out or not.

Lead on + battery, disconnect glowplug wire from GP, point of test light to GP. Im sure theres a write up about it better than what im spittin out, but im in a hurry sorry. If the light lights up, good GP if not, bad GP. If you end up doin GPs, it is strongly advised to use only motorcraft / beru brand glow plugs.

As noted above do not mix ether and GP's, i watched a head fly off a kabota tractor about 25' in the air, not me obviously, but there you have it.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM
84&04
Senior User
the glow plug light stayed on for about and anhour and then i went to sleep and came out to find it was infact still lit...

ill look around for the write up on the testing procedure.

and i bought me some starter fluid, and i get off work in less than an hour. so fingers crossed

again, thanks to all of you

Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
yep, you have wiring issues.

i'd get a wiring schematic if i were you.

the glow plug light and everything else should turn off with out the key.
i am willing to bet the fss isn't getting power.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
84&04
Senior User
Originally Posted by turtlemann14
yep, you have wiring issues.

i'd get a wiring schematic if i were you.
Where would i find that at

Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Try a chilton or a haynes manual... could be a few pics of what youre looking for in the glow plugs stickys. Take your test light and with the key on check the 3 prongs on top of the IP

Quick Reply: 1984 F250 Issues :(