Sponsored by: Moser

Steering wheel shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Radster
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel shaft

I need to change the boot on my 73 f250 steering shaft where it goes through the cab wall. I have the shaft out, but I can't figure out how to remove the part on the lower part of the shaft that sticks out for the gear shifter to the transmission. Is there anything special to be aware of? Also there is a switch mechanism about halfway down, what is it for? Does anyone have a exploded view of a shaft? Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Radster
Junior User
It looks like the steering column is not really meant to be dismantled since nobody has a answer, and I don't see an easy way to do it. I will try and heat the boot and stretch it over the gear shift rod hanging out of the bottom of the column. Also, the switch near the middle of the column is for the neutral switch. So if I try and take it apart I would have to make sure the rod hanging out of the column is in the correct location. It doesn’t sound like it is worth the trouble. Hopefully the boot will stretch about 4“.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
2WD or 4WD? The steering columns are different. Tell me which one it is and I'll post the exploded diagram.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Radster
Junior User
It is a 1973 f250 4x4.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Radster
It is a 1973 f250 4x4.
Here's the diagram from the parts catalog.
Click on the .pdf link to view.

Attached Images
Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Radster
Junior User
Thanks for the information.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I'll bet the pic that Mike posted might appear a bit overwhelming but taking the column apart is really not that hard.

I previously typed a response but I could not remember some of the specifics so I refrained from accidently putting my foot in my mouth.

That boot is not going to stretch that far.

You need to remove the inner tube from the column and that will allow you to change the boot. The trick if I remember right is compressing the spring and hold it all together while one of the clips is replaced... I think?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Radster
Junior User
Where is the clip? I pulled the wheel shaft out, then while trying to get the inner tube out the top with the shifter just fell off. I was thinking that the top goes over the top of the inner shaft, and the wheel holds it in place? I did not see a clip, but it may not have been installed. Someone has been doing some work to the column. It looks like there was a hole in the shaft and it was repaired. Also the screw sticking out to the neutral switch must have broke off at one time and a Mcgiver repair was made. I was planning on using zip ties to hold the spring down while I put the top and the wheel in.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Radster
Junior User
I figured out how to do it. To take it apart, first take the clamp off the bottom of the steering shaft and remove the wheel. Be careful to not lose the bearing on the lower part of the shaft. I almost lost mine. The 7B097 neutral/reverse arm that is attached to the inner tube would have to be removed before removing the inner shaft. My arm must have gotten broken at some point and a new installation was fabricated, so I am not sure how the regular part is installed. Next just under the wheel are 4 screws and 2 bolts. Remove the screws to remove the electrical plate, and pull gently on the wiring harness to get some slack to access the 2 nuts. Be careful of the wiring harness that attaches to the electrical plate, and comes out near the middle of the shaft. It can scrape on the edge of the opening and remove insulation. The 2 bolts hold the shifter to the outer tube by the head of the bolts in slots in the top of the tube. Remove, or loosen the nuts until about 2 threads remain. This will allow the top to come off, and not have the screws fall into the tube. Now the inner shaft should be able to be removed.
Now on installation, I installed the inner tube, and put the lower arm that attaches to the transmission on it. It is keyed, so you may have to move them some to get them to align. The hard part is keeping the inner tube compressed on the lower spring while installing the top. I used zip ties on the neutral switch to hold it down since I didn't have to remove the shaft, nor could I due to the fabricated part without redoing the whole thing with new parts. (My thinking is if it isn't broke don't fix it.) The shift arm part is keyed to the inner shaft also. Align them, and install the top with the 2 bolts barely threaded into the slots on the top of the outer tube. Tighten bolts. There should be about 1-2 threads showing when tight if you installed it correctly. Remove the zip ties. The shifter arm part will have a small gap to the top to allow for pulling the handle for shifting out of, or into Reverse or Park. Install the electrical plate with the 4 screws. I advise changing the bulb for gear indicator at this point.
The neural/reverse switch will need to be rigged if removed. The red-blue wires are used for the transmission Park/Neutral switch. So when in Park or neutral make sure this circuit is closed between these 2 pins. The other 2 are the Black/Red which is used for you reverse light. Make sure they have continuity in Reverse.
Install the wheel and lower bearing. Attach the clamp while compressing the steering wheel into the shaft. Now the column is ready for installation into the truck. Hope this helps.