6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

RESOLVED MAYBE FICM wiring harness, p2552 code real pain HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
mushman
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RESOLVED MAYBE FICM wiring harness, p2552 code real pain HELP

Ok so here it is,
2003 6.0 Super duty King Ranch, 140,000, coolant filter, three new injectors in January, all fluids changed flushed and replaced with synthetics last year. Two new batteries in March of this year. Edge CTS Insight EOT ECT 4-10 difference depending on loads (pull car trailer occasionally). Alt Voltages 11.3 while cranking once starts within a short time 13.8, FICM had a tendency to drop to 46 volts.

I found two codes several weeks ago, P0263, P0264, little rough idling and drop in fuel mileage per CTS. Cleared codes came right back, so guessed and pulled FICM and sent to ED. Ed advised FICM was within ranges, but since it was pulled I had it rebuilt with ECO Tune added. ED felt I may have a wire chaffing issue could not find anything. FICM was installed last Wednesday and the P0263 and P0264 codes cleared and stayed away, but I immediately got a P2552 and it will not clear.

I have attempted to inspect the harness, pulled the FICM checked plugs, pins and even installed a second FICM no difference same code P2552. Of course the plug locks are broke on two of the three plugs but tight.

I was going to just replace the harness but learned I have an early 2003 build and the FICM injector harness is part of the engine harness and runs about $550 not an option just yet.

I am guessing my problem lies in the wiring harness? spark chasing time

Can I just purchase a separate injector harness and install it? (any chance someone has a part number of the one that will work if possible) I assume because mine is bundled together does not mean the electrical system is wired are differently, then if the new harness worked or resolved the issue I could cut back the old harness...........or I am nuts.

I still need to remove the air cleaner and inspect the harness a little closer but I am not really confident on finding the issue, I would remove the entire harness but since it is one unit it is not gonna happen.

Opinions, suggestions thoughts?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
This might help, i found a few places where i moved/taped the harnessFord DTC codes & wire chafing locations - TheDieselGarage.com

Last edited by Curt's05; 08-01-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add line
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM
mushman
Senior User

Update
While searching the internet I located a write up where the owner had the same problem, bottom line is I decided it may be EDGE problem. This morning I started the truck checked code was still present. Shut off the truck unplugged the EDGE plugged in another san tool, started the truck checked for codes NONE present, ran advance diagnostics, shut off the truck, plugged the EDGE back in. Started the truck and the EDGE ran through its setup confirmation, went to READ DTCs, and bam it was gone. Very strange drove a little bit no codes yet will monitor and let you know.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
interesting

I looked for some info last night and If I understood correctly if there was a Problem that set P2552 it would be a no-start

Best thing here is to Ditch the Edge Tunner while the Transmission is still in the Truck and if you plan on keeping the trans in the truck LOL

Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 PM
mushman
Senior User

My EDGE is not the tuner version, for gauge use only, I really like the unit, I really think it is a very isolated incident specifically to 2003 vehicles and the software in the EDGE Insight. Again it is a great unit. Lesson learned as always confirm the actual problem before you start chasing solutions. It was so strange to me the truck ran so good to have that code, just never thought about it being a GHOST code, never even heard of it before.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mushman
My EDGE is not the tuner version, for gauge use only, I really like the unit, I really think it is a very isolated incident specifically to 2003 vehicles and the software in the EDGE Insight. Again it is a great unit. Lesson learned as always confirm the actual problem before you start chasing solutions. It was so strange to me the truck ran so good to have that code, just never thought about it being a GHOST code, never even heard of it before.

Well if thats the Case and the Edge wasnt a Tunner version then the Edge shouldnt have caused this DTC

Guess will see if the DTC comes Back I will stop there dont want to Jinks it LOL

Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 AM
mushman
Senior User

Originally Posted by BLADE35
Well if thats the Case and the Edge wasnt a Tunner version then the Edge shouldnt have caused this DTC

Guess will see if the DTC comes Back I will stop there dont want to Jinks it LOL
I dont beleive the EDGE caused the DTC, I beleive the removal, repair and installation of the FICM while the EDGE was plugged in caused the DTC. The EDGE stored it, locked it in and would not clear the DTC from its software. I found several write ups where after the repair of the FICM the DTC was present, one that was similar to my situation with a 2003.

I believe it can happen again to another owner, my goal here is to close my original question with a resalution and give users another option when codes are present in scanners. Just because the scanner reads the code does not necassarly mean its there, we check and confirm many things in when repairing our trucks. I love my EDGE and recommend it. I am not sure I own a piece of electronic equipment, cell phone, computer, dvr box, ect., that has not one time or another froze or glitched.

I am still cautiously optimistic the code will not return.

Again unlike many threads I came across that never had a resolution, my goal is to let users know what appears to have resolved my situation. If it happened to one piece of electronic equipment I believe it can happen to another. My truck ran great with no symptoms which did not match the code, but lacking experience I relied upon the scanner. In my situation that may have been a mistake on my part. The scanner and tools we use only tell us part of a what is going on, it still requires us to analyze all the information.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mushman
I dont beleive the EDGE caused the DTC, I beleive the removal, repair and installation of the FICM while the EDGE was plugged in caused the DTC. The EDGE stored it, locked it in and would not clear the DTC from its software. I found several write ups where after the repair of the FICM the DTC was present, one that was similar to my situation with a 2003.

I believe it can happen again to another owner, my goal here is to close my original question with a resalution and give users another option when codes are present in scanners. Just because the scanner reads the code does not necassarly mean its there, we check and confirm many things in when repairing our trucks. I love my EDGE and recommend it. I am not sure I own a piece of electronic equipment, cell phone, computer, dvr box, ect., that has not one time or another froze or glitched.

I am still cautiously optimistic the code will not return.

Again unlike many threads I came across that never had a resolution, my goal is to let users know what appears to have resolved my situation. If it happened to one piece of electronic equipment I believe it can happen to another. My truck ran great with no symptoms which did not match the code, but lacking experience I relied upon the scanner. In my situation that may have been a mistake on my part. The scanner and tools we use only tell us part of a what is going on, it still requires us to analyze all the information.

I had a ICP DTC the other day I couldnt get it to clear the Code either tried 2 diffrent scanners with no Success. (I used a ScanGaugeII & Innova neither cleared DTC)

I ended up unhooking the batterys with Headlight switch on for an Hour and that cleared the DTC

Thank You I know it does make it hard when people search threads and get to the end with No Answer

I try to rep everyone that Posts a Conclusion/answer to there thread that had an Issue

Reps Given THANKS Again

Old 08-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Sabirjan Bayankhan
New User
Need a help have a problem with my Excursion 2004, 6.0L Power Stroke/

Hello. I need your help. I have had a no-start problem with my 2004 Excursion 6.0L Power Stroke. I have had done Diagnostic, which meant i have problems with 8 injectors, causing by wiring problems or FICM problem. What can you guys advise me to do?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabirjan Bayankhan
Hello. I need your help. I have had a no-start problem with my 2004 Excursion 6.0L Power Stroke. I have had done Diagnostic, which meant i have problems with 8 injectors, causing by wiring problems or FICM problem. What can you guys advise me to do?
PLEASE post the specific codes you got from the diagnostics if you have them. There can be simple or complex issues related to injector codes that we can possibly help you fix easily and quickly or they may require more work.