6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New to me 06 and the EGR Delete Kit-Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:40 AM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 06 and the EGR Delete Kit-Questions

I have been doing alot of reading on the EGR delete kits, and the EGR in general and have heard a few different things. I just picked up an 06 with the 6.0l and 170k kilometers on it. Ran it through the mechanical inspection, and it passed with flying colours. It is off to Ford next week to check injectors etc as there is a slight hesitation and a check engine light. However, after running some fuel additive with injector cleaner and running it with high RPMs, the hesitation has gone, and the check engine light has gone out. Perhaps it will stay out, however i am still going to have the Ford doctor give her some loving. Check injectors, do a trans flush, filter change and i am looking at the EGR cooler delete kit since i will be at the shop anyhow. I would like to do the EGR cooler delete and a coolant flush on this truck, however, i have heard that the the check engine light may or may not come up. Anybody with an 06 done this, and whats the verdict? I dont want a constant CE light; i tow and work the trucks, so if a CE light comes up i want to check things out asap. However, i really dont want any issues with the EGR cooler...i just dont like the sounds of the setup, especially with high egt's while towing. My dad has been driving this truck and monkeying around with it as i am currently out of country for work. Sadly, i have a feeling i may not get this truck back. He loves it and has actually mentioned going to find one for him(assuming he doesnt keep mine)! I mentioned the EGR delete to him and he is in full agreeance that it should go (hes drove truck for 40 + years and has a pretty good idea on these things...i trust his opinion!)

If i do get the CE light, and put a chip in to "fool" it, if i run the chip in stock, will it cancel out the CE light? I really dont want to chip this truck as i have two chipped 7.3's and i want just a stock, reliable truck that my dad and/or girlfriend can drive as i spend most of my time out of country for work.

Anybody have experience with the 2006 EGR deletes, and what happened with yours? Also, i have been looking at the NADP delete kit. Thanks fellas!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Also, i have seen it mentioned that to avoid the CEL light you can leave the EGR valve plugged in and just dangling in the engine compartment to do its job. This sounds a little, haywire, i guess you could say, but if it keeps from having a CEL that is the main thing. Are there any issues with doing this?

Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
An '06 will set the CEL light if the EGR is not functioning. Whether it is plugged in or not. The PCM checks for flow. No flow? You get a CEL.

So you need a tune to avoid the CEL. Not a chip. You will need a custom tune. You can get a tune that does nothing but turn the EGR off, if that's what you want. So it isn't a big deal, just extra money. Here in CA we have smog inspections, and that valve has to be there. So here guys commonly just leave the stock components there and turn it off with the custom tunes.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Thanks for the feedback. I have also heard of issues with the fan etc.

I am starting to think i may just have them do a road test to check and make sure nothing is plugged up and that all is functioning as it should, as well as do a coolant flush. Perhaps upgrade to a higher quality cooler at some point. I dont want to close one can of worms by deleting it and open up another...

Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Yes, the tunes will take care of the fan issue too.

The whole issue of deleting or not is very debatable. I'm kind of glad that I don't have the option, so I don't have to lose sleep over the decision.

I am tempted to do a tune only delete. My mechanic even recommended it.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 AM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
That's an idea too. I was hoping to have this all done for when i return home, however i think i may just have the general maintenance done and have a chat with my Ford mechanic when i get home and see what he recommends. He is a friend of the family, and i trust his advice 100%. Perhaps even just a higher quality EGR cooler and a coolant flush. Wouldnt hurt to clean the EGR valve with every other oil change as well and im sure that would keep all systems go.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM
metmop
Senior User
Not sure but don't be suprised if the FORD dealer refuses to do the EGR delete. This procedure (EGR delete) removes a REQUIRED federal emissions equipment from the truck. You also may want to look into state laws and emission standards there prior to doing this. I know it is done all the time and I have no problem with it. But some states will give you a hard time. I am just saying that the ford dealer may send you down the road. Also if you have a warranty or ESP through Ford this may void it.... just items to consider the internet may not tell you.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Go visit BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0
That you can replace the cooler and it won't
going POOF$$$$ on you.

Sean

Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Yahiko,

thanks for the link! I checked out a few of their products earlier, sadly the shipping is a killer. I was looking at the BD cooler thinking it looks like it would make a good upgrade also. And its much closer!

BD Diesel Performance CANADA EGR Cooler - Ford 2004-2007 6.0L w/Square Tube - Core Rebate Available

Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
metmop
Senior User
outdoor... forget everything I said.... you are in canada so you don't have to worry about our silly emission rules..... I am sure you have your own silly emission rules.. M-chan would know for sure.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
May he will school us on the ruler up there.
I can understand that when parts cross that
line the shipping really goes up.

Sean

Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
As others have already mentioned, deleting the EGR on your '06 will turn on the Check Engine Light and set a P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient code without fail. In Ontario, the emissions tests are very low tech. HOWEVER, that doesn't stop the guys in the white and green cars (the MTO guys) from just randomly pulling over guys for inspections, and if they see any emissions equipment has been monkeyed around with, don't think for any minute that they aren't adverse to pulling your plates on the spot.

As far as performance is concerned, it won't increase fuel economy or power by any means, at least not from my experience. That is provided there isn't any issue with the EGR valve itself, or excessive carbon buildup in the intake of course. So far, with the most current flash I have seen very few issues with trucks coming in needing EGR valves. With mine, I remove it and clean it during every oil change and do an air management test on it every so often.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Good info once again. Luckily, i still live in the wild, wild west of British Columbia. No emissions testing where i am, im about 12 hours north of Vancouver. The DOT out here like to make life miserable for the workin man once in awhile, but generally they check for a muffler and thats about it. To get a MVI now, however they are asking for cats to be installed on some of the early 1990 semis.

Im not worried about power, the 6.0 has plenty from the few ive drove for work, and im not worried about milage, i know they do better than my 7.3. Thats why i picked up a 6.0 for towing, little more jam for the big loads and a little better fuel....i just dont want any issues with the cooling system. Thinking i will just get my mechanic to do a road test and check the EOT and ECT and if all checks out i will run it and this fall i will put in the upgraded EGR cooler and oil cooler with a coolant filter perhaps.

Cheers folks! Get lots of good info and opinions on here.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:28 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
As hard as some folks may find to believe, I have seen my share of trucks coming in with the original EGR coolers still on them with high mileage. My theory is don't fix what isn't broken.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
As hard as some folks may find to believe, I have seen my share of trucks coming in with the original EGR coolers still on them with high mileage. My theory is don't fix what isn't broken.
I suppose sometimes fixing could cause more problems. I have heard some horror stories, although, you hear them about everything, so im not just pointing at the 6.0. Quite often i will put 18,000 lbs of hay or a 12,000 lb skidsteer on a 7000 lb dually trailer and head of into the sunset. How would the stock setup stand up with that kind of work/abuse in your opinion?

Cheers!