Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Yanked my K&N Drop-in Filter…pinging fixed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:38 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yanked my K&N Drop-in Filter…pinging fixed

You regulars will maybe remember my mileage report from last month. I was surprised that my K&N filter didn't provide any measurable MPG increase given that the truck "felt" more open during WOT runs. I knew it was time to pull and clean the filter, so I started thinking of going back to the stock paper filter just because of the increased filtering capacity.

Then I started wondering about the heavy pinging I got sometimes during high RPM runs while pulling my trailer. This was a new phenomenon this year and I realized it only started happening since I put the new K&N in. The pinging was constant and pretty bad once I got up near 4,000rpm. The computer didn't do a very good job of controlling it, so I always had to back off the throttle to find the sweet spot. I decided to pull the K&N and put a stock filter back in. Last weekend I made a run up the mountains with the trailer and it included a couple of high-RPM sprints. Not a single pinging issue and the truck felt better pulling the heavy load (which makes sense…I was staying in the throttle and all 10 cylinders were firing on schedule).

So…the K&N went into the garbage. Not sure why the computer couldn't adjust to the increased airflow, but it didn't...

Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
neilc88
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also removed my K&N but for a different reason. It seemed to make my mass air sensor too dirty. I always liked a back road trail which can be really dusty. I never saw any difference in gas milage either way.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 PM
onug
Postmaster
The inside of my intake also had a very thin layer of dust on it. But I know the service idiots left the intake assembly unlatched when they were finished working on my truck about a year ago (a few months before I got the K&N). I didn't discover it until I went to install the K&N, so I'm not sure where the dust came from.

I can tell you everything is clean now!

Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 PM
obiwan kenobi
Mountain Pass
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Where the motors reportedly run at or near stoich condition, could the increased air flow cause a lean condition?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 PM
onug
Postmaster
That is what I think was happening. A lean condition will lead to pinging. I guess the computer couldn't get enough fuel into the cylinder to get the right ratio for the increased air.

Last edited by onug; 07-15-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spell check...
Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
My '05' 5.4 I tried the K&N and removed it after awhile more hassle than it was worth. Good old tried and true paper for now on.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a K&N in mine now and i think i still have the stock paper so you guys think i should switch back??

Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Personal preference, some guys use them and never seem to have problems or mind using them.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
personaly i just prefer the OEM level quality paper disposable filters.

use till dirty, then replace.

i've always found the K&N stuff to be overrated in real world scenarios.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:09 PM
onug
Postmaster
Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
i have a K&N in mine now and i think i still have the stock paper so you guys think i should switch back??
I agree with Scraprat's comment…some guys use them and don't have any problems. Some even claim to get MPG increases. I've tried full intake kits and drop-in filters on multiple gas powered vehicles now and have had problems will all of them. I'm done wasting my money on any kind of intake "enhancement".

I think the only obvious reason to switch back is if you're in a dusty environment. While everyone's results may vary, I think everyone agrees/knows the increased air flow comes at the cost of filtering.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've always had great luck with K&N drop in filters. Never used a cold air intake before and I'm not really looking to get one. But the K&N is a lot of maintenance, which isn't something a lot of people don't wanna do and I don't blame them. It's a pain when u do it every oil change like i do

Old 07-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts
I use the K&N filters unless there are frequent dusty conditions. More air flow=more particle flow. More particle flow decreases engine life. Just to save a couple bucks on air filters? Just use the stocker IMO.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Ron_Manjenkins
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to tear that greasy turd out of mine. IT has been doing nothing but getting the maf dirty and the truck run like crap

Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeismadness
I've always had great luck with K&N drop in filters. Never used a cold air intake before and I'm not really looking to get one. But the K&N is a lot of maintenance, which isn't something a lot of people don't wanna do and I don't blame them. It's a pain when u do it every oil change like i do
You don't have to clean it that often, I have a 110K on mine filter and I still some of original can of oil spay lift. I just cleaned mine and it had about 20 to 25K on it since the last time I cleaned it, that's also the same can I used on my work V10 truck that I sold with 100K on it, that truck was always in gravel roads and dusty conditions. I have never had any problems with any of my MSF sensors on any of my trucks that I have run a K&N on, I also have never had any dirt in any of my air intake after the filter.

Denny

Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
KN filters require very little cleaning. A bit of dirt enhances their filtering ability.

Quick Reply: Yanked my K&N Drop-in Filter…pinging fixed