Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Just Curious?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Curious?

I have some questions about the V10's, and I've not heard alot about them... and what I have heard doesn't matter for what I have in mind

Why does nobody use these motors for High Performance Applications?
How much power do they make in factory configurations?
Can these motors be made to run without all the computer crap?
Does anyone make a Carbourated intake manifold for these motors?
Do these bolt up to any non-computer controlled Automatic 2wd Transmissions?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
1) Hi-po applications are almost nonexistent because it's a truck motor - and it's BIG - length-wise. I wouldn't be afraid to use one in a vehicle that it can fit in - the Crown Victoria is one such car (if you can call the CV a performance vehicle in the first place). Other things, like it's crank snout do not help strapping a big blower on it. It'll snap off, or ruin the front main bearing if too much load is put on it - there are crank snout support bearings available though.

2) 2-valve PI-head V10: 425 ft/lbs, 310 HP. I think this might be in the tech folder at the top of this forum. 3-valve V10: 465ft/lbs? 362HP?

3 and 4) They were never available without fuel injection. Someone does make a propane intake for it, they are used in industrial applications like generators. I can't imagine it would be very hard to take a stock intake and make a carb adapter for it, and plug the injector holes. But a manual-tranny computer can be used if you wanted to use a separate tranny controller or use a manual tranny. Not really hard to hook up the necessary stuff to make it work, the hardest thing would be road-speed input to the computer so it knows what's going on. The absolute HARDest thing to do would be to give it spark - without the computer, there's no distributor. You'd need some type of external ignition module no matter what. Probably easier to get a stock PCM and start from there, then tune the heck out of it later.

5) I might be wrong, but ... I believe there were AOD trannies that might have had the modular bolt-pattern for VERY early Crown Victorias. I know that very early 4.6 engines had the 302/351 (small-block) bellhousing bolt pattern. But I'm not sure if they made an AOD work with the 4.6 bellhousing (same as the 5.4 and V10). Flywheel would be interesting...

What do you have in mind?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
1) Hi-po applications are almost nonexistent because it's a truck motor - and it's BIG - length-wise. I wouldn't be afraid to use one in a vehicle that it can fit in - the Crown Victoria is one such car (if you can call the CV a performance vehicle in the first place). Other things, like it's crank snout do not help strapping a big blower on it. It'll snap off, or ruin the front main bearing if too much load is put on it - there are crank snout support bearings available though.

2) 2-valve PI-head V10: 425 ft/lbs, 310 HP. I think this might be in the tech folder at the top of this forum. 3-valve V10: 465ft/lbs? 362HP?

3 and 4) They were never available without fuel injection. Someone does make a propane intake for it, they are used in industrial applications like generators. I can't imagine it would be very hard to take a stock intake and make a carb adapter for it, and plug the injector holes. But a manual-tranny computer can be used if you wanted to use a separate tranny controller or use a manual tranny. Not really hard to hook up the necessary stuff to make it work, the hardest thing would be road-speed input to the computer so it knows what's going on. The absolute HARDest thing to do would be to give it spark - without the computer, there's no distributor. You'd need some type of external ignition module no matter what. Probably easier to get a stock PCM and start from there, then tune the heck out of it later.

5) I might be wrong, but ... I believe there were AOD trannies that might have had the modular bolt-pattern for VERY early Crown Victorias. I know that very early 4.6 engines had the 302/351 (small-block) bellhousing bolt pattern. But I'm not sure if they made an AOD work with the 4.6 bellhousing (same as the 5.4 and V10). Flywheel would be interesting...

What do you have in mind?
First off, this is the kind of info I was wanting, thanks

1. Good info, didn't know that about the crank snout
2. Nice numbers to start with, making me think it might work!
3 + 4. I didn't think they were, and that's dissapointing to me...
Sounds like a might bit of a hitch from here on, Trans don't sound to hard, but the rest may be a pain...
The rig I'm thinking of won't see much street driving at all... and regardless, I plan on doing away with the computer junk if I can (hence the carbourator question) True on the ignition, I think I could make a MSD brain box do that with some tweaking though...
5. For what I'm wanting, I don't really need an AOD, A regular old three speed auto would work just fine... Thanks for the info though, IF I go this route, and decide to street it at any point in the future the aod would be nice!

I'm working on a 78 F-100 stepside for Drag Racing with the occasional street duty (seldom) and just got rid of the motor I was wanting to use on it a few days ago (it was a 428), and am now looking at options... The V10 is one such option, after I weigh cost and etc...

If ya have anything else to add, I'd be more than glad to listen!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
You might be able to find a C6 adapter plate for the modular application... There were no automatics made for the modulars (4.6/5.4/6.8) that didn't have an overdrive.

If MSD makes a box to do ignition for COPs using a crank position sensor, just make sure it can do 10 cylinders

Plug the injector holes, and fab up a carb adapter.

I dunno, I might be crazy

Sounds like a fun project. It would definitely be unique.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
You might be able to find a C6 adapter plate for the modular application... There were no automatics made for the modulars (4.6/5.4/6.8) that didn't have an overdrive.

If MSD makes a box to do ignition for COPs using a crank position sensor, just make sure it can do 10 cylinders

Plug the injector holes, and fab up a carb adapter.

I dunno, I might be crazy

Sounds like a fun project. It would definitely be unique.
I was afraid of that...Hope I can find an adapter plate, I traded my 428 (turned out to be a 429 ) off the other day, and now I'm really looking at this as a possibility...

I went to the Tractor pulls the other day, and I saw a truck that had a battery of about 4 Msd boxes wired up somehow, so I'm sure somthing can be rigged... I'm almost certain they make a cps controlled box anyway...

Sounds simple enough...

No crazier than I am

That's what I was thinkin, and I like Unique stuff...