v6 to v10 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:02 PM
charles6
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v6 to v10 conversion

Alright guys, I am tired of trying to make my 2002 4.2l go fast, so here it is. I go to the best performance shop in my town, ask if he can supercharge or turbocharge my truck. He goes out looks at my truck and says w/the money that I'm going to spend turbo or supercharging it you might as well drop a new motor in. I say ok that sucks. He says a buddy of mine has a 2002 6.8l V10 motor he is trying to get rid of. He only wants $1500 dollars for the complete engine(this truck only has 7,000 miles on the engine). I know I'll have to get a new tranny. Can anyone help or give me some tips so I can make this swap happen(what all am I going to have to do). Also if anyone else knows a cheaper or smarter way of putting a different engine like a 4.6 or 5.4 in let me know. PLEASE help, i am going to do something to get this truck moving w/over 300hp w/in the next 2months, I just need some direction and skilled advice.

thanks,
Brad

Old 02-04-2004, 11:19 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
how much do you plan on investing to get the v10 or 4.6 or 5.4 in there? I can tell you this, the supercharger available is 3500. Im selling the kit i have with ZERO miles on it for less than retail. Interested?

Old 02-04-2004, 11:23 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Oh yeah...1500 plus new tranny plus relocation of several parts...thats gonna be more than 3500 for a v10. I heard somewhere a 4.6 swap was done for 5300, mostly self install.

Garrett

Old 02-05-2004, 01:05 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Charles6,

After some thought, I decided I did something I dont agree with. I always think, if you are going to do something, do it right. So here goes. This is what I think about upgrading to a 4.6L. So hear me out:

First, lets look at what we have. You have an '02 4.2l that yields 202HP at the flywheel. You are interested in a 4.6L engine, and that same year, it yields 231HP at the flywheel. Lets assume you have the standard tranny. It has been said that a manual will lose you 20% to the rear wheel. Others say it depends on the actual tranny, and this is what I believe. We have the 5 speed manual, which leads to 161, or 152 rwhp. Lets use 155 as a median. The 4.6L with that same setup, equates to either 185, or 182 RWHP. Lets use 182, since its lower, and to be more fair to gains/losses.

At this point, youve successfully upgraded your truck 27HP. Is the extra cash worth 27HP? Moving on. Lets say you want to get a hot engine. So you figure out how to fit in a Cobra 4.6L. You produce 390HP with 8 pounds of boost, and 6k RPMs. The price tag, on the other hand, is a shade under $6,000. Plus install, gaskets, etc. For $6K, dont you think you could upgrade your 4.2L to be nearly (maybe not exactly) on that level? I promise you, with the vortech SC, intercooled, you will see more than 100 RWHP gain. 100 HP is what the non-i/c'ed kit gets you. Period. Then, with plus or minus $2200, you can add on exhaust, headers, NOS, 90mm MAF, 42lbs injectors, AND a custom chip.

So basically, if you are willing to spend that kind of cash in order to "go fast"? Not counting the SC kit, Ive spent over 3200 on my truck. And I dont regret a single thing about it. I have taken a couple chevy 1500's, mainly cause Im a better shifter, but still. Im not trying to tell you how to build your truck. It is entirely up to you. Nor am I trying to make you think that your best route is to by the kit I have up for sale. I am just the guy that tries to break down things logically. Which now leads me to say this: These figures were purely hypothetical, except what I pulled from spec sheets, and did the math on my pc calc. If I am a little off on my exact science, I appologize.

Keep in mind, this is talking about a 4.6/5.4L that may require more than just the base cost. As far as the V10 is concerned, they are outfitted in f250s and bigger. I think you would run into a fitment issue with the f150. It would be more headache than anything. Is there a guarantee about the working order of the engine? 1500 is damn cheap for any engine...aside for maybe a chebby one

Just thoughts to ponder my friend. Welcome to FTE, by the way, I dont think Ive seen you around before.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:04 AM
dalonso
New User
have you even tried getting new heads, cam, and intake manifold? those bolt ons will only get you so much. if you want big power you have to think these items or supercharged.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:37 AM
sigma
Senior User
I agree completely. Engine swaps from the 4.2 to a 4.6-5.4-or the 6.8 will require many parts besides the engine. I think you will find the overall cost will be surprisingly expensive. The best bang for the buck is a supercharger. The SC would take you up to the 300 HP range for $3,100 plus a day or so of your time for the install. If you decide you want more HP later you just add an intercooler, increase boost, and get your chip re-burnt. Another option is to swap out the stock heads and cam for performance items, throw on a set of headers, and have your intake ported (or replace it also). This will also get you in the 300 HP range fairly easily.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:27 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Charles, getting a SC for your 6 will be cheaper and give you more power than a 4.6 or a 5.4 any day. Get a new mechanic.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:29 AM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with true4.2, sound like he has a "vested interest" in you doing this very expensive, and time consuming swap.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:36 PM
charles6
Freshman User
Well guys thanks for the info. I already have intake, exhaust, and a tbs. It's just that the truck looks so much faster than it is. Horizon you said w/a supercharger I'll be pushing 300hp @the rear wheels w/out an intercooler. Correct? That is perfect! Where are you located, and will the supercharger hender the life span of the vehicle. I'm about to go off to college, and it has to be reliable. Also when if I do get a supercharger what other things "accessories" am I going to have to get to make it run correctly, such as chip headers anything extra that I'll need. By the way I looked up a bunch of specs for the V10 and 11mpg and the headache putting the thing in isn't worth it. The thing weighs too much and I'll have to redo everything from the flywheel back.

Thanks guys so much for your opinions and I'm looking forward to talking again.

Thanks again,
Brad

Old 02-05-2004, 06:37 PM
charles6
Freshman User
By the way Horizon now I am definately interested in a s/c. If you would e-mail me the price. I think its against the forum guidelines to do it here. mpetershome@valuelinx.net.

thanks,
Brad

Old 02-05-2004, 07:19 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Brad,

Youve blocked your email address in your profile. You can either email me via my profile, get on AIM and IM richcranium510, or go to this link and do the other two options:

http://www.got-pressure.com/yabbse/i...;threadid=1578

I will give you all the details then. Contact me

Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 PM
charles6
Freshman User
You have mail!

Old 02-05-2004, 08:47 PM
charles6
Freshman User
Hey did you get it. My email has been a little screwy lately so if you haven't got it yet let me know.

thanks,
Brad

Old 02-05-2004, 09:21 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
I did get it, and responded....Would it be easier to explain the details via phone? I have unlimited long distance, lemme know...im checking my email now

Old 02-05-2004, 09:38 PM
charles6
Freshman User
Hey man I just emailed you.