Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Sean's 97 F250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look Opinion

I have a 1997 Ford F250 Heavy Duty that I use to pull hay trailers, cattle trailers, and race trailer. I am a big fan of the dually trucks and have always wanted one. My truck is set up for duallie wheels in the rear with a sterling 10-1/4 axle. I have been experimenting with some wheels I was giving to fit my truck. I am wanting your opinion on how you think my truck would look as a duallie and if you thing I should do it or not. It helps increase payload, and its two more tires to buy but I can pull bigger trailers and heavier loads. Let me know your opinion. PLEASE DO NOT ACT IGNORANT OR SMART ELLIC about it.

Truck at present moment

With dually set-up

Tell me your thoughts. I need to get fenders and duallie wheels if I go with this. If you have either, let me know a price shipped to 24333. I DO NOT WANT A WHOLE DUALLY BED UNLESS SAME COLOR AS TRUCK.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
throwing duals on a truck does not increase payload or towing capacity, that is determined by the leaf springs. Duals help tow/haul your current weights with more stability. and remember dual wheels are different than single ones, you cant run a dual wheel w/ a single wheel and hope it will work

Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Sean's 97 F250
Freshman User
WRONG

You gotta have spacers between the inside duallie wheel and the brake drum to keep the wheel from busting the wheel drum. I have the spacers/adapters. Just need wheels. And I have seen trucks made into duallies using a single wheel and a duallie wheel on the outside. Friend has a 97 f250 that has been converted over that way. So I know that will work.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean's 97 F250
You gotta have spacers between the inside duallie wheel and the brake drum to keep the wheel from busting the wheel drum. I have the spacers/adapters. Just need wheels. And I have seen trucks made into duallies using a single wheel and a duallie wheel on the outside. Friend has a 97 f250 that has been converted over that way. So I know that will work.
I would love to hear DOT's and NTSB's opinion on this!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Lt CHEG
Senior User
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
I would love to hear DOT's and NTSB's opinion on this!!!!!!
I tend to agree with this sentiment. Just because you can get a particular setup to work doesn't mean that it's the correct and/or legal way to do it. At least for now there's no way that I would drive down the road with your truck setup the way it is. The lack of fenders over the wheels is an invitation for law enforcement and really isn't safe or courteous for other drivers.

Also unless you are changing springs, etc then you aren't really gaining any weight carrying capacity, you just get a little more stability. I don't personally like duallies for my purposes so I haven't read up too much on dually axle specs compared to non dually specs, but I wouldnt be surprised if a true dually 10.25 axle was rated to carry more weight than a non dually either. My guess is that there is some additional reinforcement on the dual rear wheel axle to take advantage of the dual rear wheel setup that would not be present by adding an additional wheel to each side of what was originally a single rear wheel axle.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
RJJP
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lt CHEG
Also unless you are changing springs, etc then you aren't really gaining any weight carrying capacity,
Even then, you aren't really gaining anything, the weight capacity is written on the door.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, a farmer can make anything work, but around here we like to do it the right/legal/safe way. How you have it set up now the wheels are set WAY out from the bearing centers, you will burn up wheel bearings and blow seals constantly doing it like this. but cuz your friend did it, that MUST make it ok

You were told in your other thread that converting your truck to dually will not raise your towing capabilities, give it up already. buy a dually axle, or a dually truck, what you have now will not work as a dually application

Even then, you aren't really gaining anything, the weight capacity is written on the door.
Im pretty sure gvwr and gcvwr dont mean much to him

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
You can either put a dually pick-up axle in the back or buy a set of 3" spacers that would go one BEFORE the wheels then bolt 4 dually wheels to the spacers. Arrowcraft makes the spacers. They also make the conversion fenders to bolt right onto your single wheel bed. OEM dually fenders will NOT work on your bed

Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Plain Jane
Senior User
Just aint right.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:54 AM
Rico47635
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sean's 97 F250
I have a 1997 Ford F250 Heavy Duty that I use to pull hay trailers, cattle trailers, and race trailer. I am a big fan of the dually trucks and have always wanted one. My truck is set up for duallie wheels in the rear with a sterling 10-1/4 axle. I have been experimenting with some wheels I was giving to fit my truck. I am wanting your opinion on how you think my truck would look as a duallie and if you thing I should do it or not. It helps increase payload, and its two more tires to buy but I can pull bigger trailers and heavier loads. Let me know your opinion. PLEASE DO NOT ACT IGNORANT OR SMART ELLIC about it.

Truck at present moment

With dually set-up

Tell me your thoughts. I need to get fenders and duallie wheels if I go with this. If you have either, let me know a price shipped to 24333. I DO NOT WANT A WHOLE DUALLY BED UNLESS SAME COLOR AS TRUCK.
*sigh* So, you are planning on using regular single wheel rims on a dually set up? Good luck with that. As soon as the Highway Patrol for your state sees you, plan on getting pulled over and ticketed.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Ill be the nice guy lol. I think it looks good as long as you put the dualie fenders on it. I also like the aggressive tires on the outside rim. Somethin about aggressive duallies sparks my interest.

But I also have to agree with everyone else: do it right. The last thing you need is a rim passing you on the highway.