1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

AOD/speedometer help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AOD/speedometer help

I would appreciate any info that any of you can give me on applications or years that AOD transmissions used a cable rather that a reluctor to drive the speedometer. I have a VDO electronic speedometer that needs to attach to an actual cable drive at the trans end. Thanks in advance

Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Not exactly what you asked for but, may help.
Speedo Cable To AOD Swap - Vintage Mustang Forums

Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
I would appreciate any info that any of you can give me on applications or years that AOD transmissions used a cable rather that a reluctor to drive the speedometer. I have a VDO electronic speedometer that needs to attach to an actual cable drive at the trans end. Thanks in advance
Take a look at a 64-66 Mustang cable. Whatever fits the C4 and FMX also fit an AOD. I was going with an 85 Ford AOD but ended up with an FMX. The same cable fits either one...

Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I am confused...why would an "electronic" speedometer require a "cable" drive? Is it really a "cable" or is it the style of speedometer drive coupling on the trans tailshaft? I just happened to have an AOD in the back of my truck so here are a few pics of the speedo connection...this trans is out of an 89 Mustang.

Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 PM
seanmconroy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I am confused...why would an "electronic" speedometer require a "cable" drive? Is it really a "cable" or is it the style of speedometer drive coupling on the trans tailshaft? I just happened to have an AOD in the back of my truck so here are a few pics of the speedo connection...this trans is out of an 89 Mustang.
That looks like an encoder type basically that gives pulses back to the speedo and more pulses it receives the faster speedo will show ect. That is an electric sender unit. Try 1986 crown Vic wagon for a mechanical type. Cos that is what I took mine from

Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autometer has a GPS unit that eliminates the rotating speed sensor in the transmission. The price is pretty steep and most of us don't wan to pay that much but sometimes we have to do things we wish we did not have to. Just thought I would mention it .

Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Thank you all for the quick responses. A trip to visit a Ford Master Tech today verified that C4s and AODs use the same size drive units. I am using a VDO electronic speedometer which has it's own encoded sensor that hooks to the trans. The VDO encoded sensor attaches to the trans with a threaded collar that is the same size/thread as the screw on connection for a FOMOCO (C4) mechanical cable. I am in the process of obtaining a C4 unit right now. I'll post some pics when I get when I get all the pieces. I thought the Crown Vic/Lincoln unit would work but the Ford explosion book shows the sender and the cable one piece all the way to the speedometer. Thanks again to everyone and to Jeff and Nicolle for the link to the Mustang forum

Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you all for the quick responses. A trip to visit a Ford Master Tech today verified that C4s and AODs use the same size drive units. I am using a VDO electronic speedometer which has it's own encoded sensor that hooks to the trans. The VDO encoded sensor attaches to the trans with a threaded collar that is the same size/thread as the screw on connection for a FOMOCO (C4) mechanical cable. I am in the process of obtaining a C4 unit right now. I'll post some pics when I get when I get all the pieces. I thought the Crown Vic/Lincoln unit would work but the Ford explosion book shows the sender and the cable one piece all the way to the speedometer. Thanks again to everyone and to Jeff and Nicolle for the link to the Mustang forum
My friends just call me Jeff Nicolle is just along for the ride!(My Boss)

Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Thanks Jeff

Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
Autometer has a GPS unit that eliminates the rotating speed sensor in the transmission. The price is pretty steep and most of us don't wan to pay that much but sometimes we have to do things we wish we did not have to. Just thought I would mention it .
Speed hut has a GPS speedo too that is affordable. You just have to put a small magnetic antenna on the dash for it to read.