Sponsored by:

ROAD TRIP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking ROAD TRIP

So at the end of June and partially into the beginning of July, we're helping someone move from SoCal to Nebraska. On the way out will be towing a small u-haul, and then returning without it.

-On the way out heading through NV, UT, WY, to NE.
I-15 out to the 80

-And on the way back going through CO, NM, AZ.
80-76-25-40

With 87 finally coming down from about $4.30, we got it for $3.99 at the local Costco and I've done a few online searches and have seen the farther east we go, the cheaper it gets. (gotta love the gasbuddy app)

But what are some things like interstate speeds with a trailer. When we tow our toybox I know we definitely go over the 55mph CA speeds, and usually run at 70ish.

Although I'm sure we'll probably not even be able to tell we have the trailer behind us, since we are helping a somewhat more elderly person move and it isn't our trailer, I think my dad will go a little easier than usually and stick a little more with the speed limits.

On the way out we are just gonna be driving most of the day, to get the person to their new home, but on the way back we'll be doing a little more sight seeing. Any spots you guys can suggest that would be cool little stops?

I'm excited to go on a little road trip
-Steph

P.S. I also yelp a lot and have bookmarked a few places from Triple D (foodnetwork), and Man vs Food

Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I suggest Zion National Park, southeast Utah off the I15 area.
Or try Moab in Southwest Utah, there is a lot to do right nearby besides the offroad stuff like Arches National Park or Colorado River tours.

Happy and safe motoring on your trip. We're headed to coastal Texas from Central Cal next week.

-Mark

Last edited by cay5628; 06-01-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by cay5628
Or try Moab in Southwest Utah, there is a lot to do right nearby besides the offroad stuff like Arches National Park or Colorado River tours.

Happy and safe motoring on your trip. We're headed to coastal Texas from Central Cal next week.

-Mark
Ok cool.

We've actually gone to Zion, and have hiked the narrows. I don't think we'll be able to do that on this trip though.

We are going to stop at the Grand Canyon I think, and I've never been so that'll be cool.

Have a good trip and be safe as well

Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
neilc88
Elder User
Originally Posted by cay5628

-Mark
Good suggestion, but I like Bryce National Park much better than Zion.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
On your way back through Arizona on 40, stop by Meteor Crater halfway between Winslow and Flagstaff. Pretty cool place to see a natural landmark by a space object, preserved for thousands of years. It's just South of I-40. You can do it in about an hour or so depending on how long you read all the stuff there.

BTW, standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ, there's really nothing to see when I was there. I didn't see a girl in a flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at me.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by jh818
On your way back through Arizona on 40, stop by Meteor Crater halfway between Winslow and Flagstaff. Pretty cool place to see a natural landmark by a space object, preserved for thousands of years. It's just South of I-40. You can do it in about an hour or so depending on how long you read all the stuff there.

BTW, standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ, there's really nothing to see when I was there. I didn't see a girl in a flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at me.
Wooaaa, that would definitely be cool to check out

Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see a girl in a flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at me.
Hey, that would make good lyrics to a song. I bet you could make millions!.... oh wait. Maybe a little "We may loose and we may win though we will never be here again"

Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 PM
dsquared
Elder User
Check here for answers to your towing question:

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Have a great trip!!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by dsquared
Check here for answers to your towing question:

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Have a great trip!!
Thanks for this info, I just printed it

Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's a nice drive. I got 11-12 MPG a few years ago when I did it with my ex and 5x10 enclosed. I drove it last year and got 12-12.5 for most of the trip.

CA is really the only state that trailers matter. Once you get out of CA the speed limit opens up to 70-75. Watch the car near mexico - these things are a pretty hot commodity for sneaking illegals and drugs over the border. You have the torqshift so hopefully will enjoy mountian driving more than I did. I recall driving downhill with the trailer in such heavy headwinds that it wouldn't upshift into 4th, running 4000 RPM+ downhill.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Actually, there IS something to see there.

There's a downtown corner where they have erected a life-size statue, have a flat-bed '56 parked, and speakers across the street with music playing.

It's a Route 66 attraction.

Pop

Old 06-02-2012, 12:03 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by mgraveman
That's a nice drive. I got 11-12 MPG a few years ago when I did it with my ex and 5x10 enclosed. I drove it last year and got 12-12.5 for most of the trip.

CA is really the only state that trailers matter. Once you get out of CA the speed limit opens up to 70-75. Watch the car near mexico - these things are a pretty hot commodity for sneaking illegals and drugs over the border. You have the torqshift so hopefully will enjoy mountian driving more than I did. I recall driving downhill with the trailer in such heavy headwinds that it wouldn't upshift into 4th, running 4000 RPM+ downhill.
Ok think ours is a little 5x8, and that will only be our limitation on speeds based on the tires on it I'm guessing.

We can handle mountain driving alright. But ya sometimes its a struggle. We pull our toybox up the Cajon Pass to go riding, and sometimes go through Julian on our way to Ocotillo Wells.

Haha we'll watch the car, but we aren't getting that close to Mexico........we only get close or go into Mexico when we visit family

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Actually, there IS something to see there.

There's a downtown corner where they have erected a life-size statue, have a flat-bed '56 parked, and speakers across the street with music playing.

It's a Route 66 attraction.

Pop
Hmm I'll look into that. I've also marked down a few eateries just incase from Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives

Old 06-02-2012, 02:47 PM
cay5628
Elder User
The side trip to Grand Canyon sounds like fun. I have not been there since I was a kid with the 'rents.

If you are into some of the spacey kind of stuff, you can take a side trip to Roswell New Mexico. That place is still of interest to many folks and they most assuredly play up that angle there.

or Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico. That was pretty cool (no un intended) hiking down undereground in the cavern. It was beautiful natural wonder; the good news is they have elevators for the ride back up!

be safe out there!

-Mark

Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Just checking on our Road trip (so far)

We made the the trip from Central California to Corpus Christi Texas in our farily new to us Super Duty (yes I know this should be in the Super Duty Forum but we started here). We had about 1600 pounds of stuff in the bed, no trailer this time. The truck rode sweet with the load, we averaged 12.91 mpg for 1702 miles so far, averaging 75-80 mph in the posted speed limits of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. I'm thinking we did good. The EOT/ECT delta for the 6.0 liter engine remained 6-9 degrees depending on speed in 100 plus ambient temperatures most of the way. Overall we are pretty happy with this, the truck ran flawlessly, we rode in comfort and we got to our destination without issue.

Hope you all get to take a safe, uneventful road trip this summer in your Ford, whether it's your Excursion, Super Duty, Super Crew, what ever Ford branded product you drive. Happy Motoring.

-Mark

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 PM
dosecobanya
Senior User
Hey, lovestrucks. I'm road tripping to Nebraska also at the end of the month. What part are you heading to? The wife has family in Nebraska City so we'll be around there, let me know if there are any diners, drive-ins, or dives I should hit while we're there.

Quick Reply: ROAD TRIP