1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need help removing steering column

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Jim 54 panel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help removing steering column

I need a little help. I am disassembling my 54 panel van and am stuck. Or rather, my Pitman arm seems stuck.

I am trying to clear out the cab and need to get the steering column out. I got the housing loose and pulled it out only to find that the solid steering column is still there. It looks like the column is locked into the steering box, a relationship I'd rather not disturb if I can help it.

I tried to loosen and remove the Pitman arm so I can get the steering box removed, but it seems that the large nut is not willing to come off, even with an 18" breaker. Is there some kind of locking screw or other device in there? It's a bit greasy and dirty in there and I haven't tried a full cleanup yet.

Also, it appears the drag link will pop off pretty easily (screwdriver or other wedge) once the bracket on each end is removed.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
I tried to loosen and remove the Pitman arm so I can get the steering box removed, but it seems that the large nut is not willing to come off, even with an 18" breaker. Is there some kind of locking screw or other device in there? It's a bit greasy and dirty in there and I haven't tried a full cleanup yet.
First, I'd recommend the full clean up. You don't want to work any harder than necessary getting the nut off and take a chance on damaging the threads by forcing the nut through the dirt and old, hard grease.

The big nut is probably just stuck on there good. There's nothing else keeping it tight besides itself. I've always just used an air impact on it and for me it normally spins right off. After the nut is removed, the pitman arm might fall off or pry off, but typically you need a pitman arm puller to remove from the box. You can rent one for free at Autozone.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Jim 54 panel
Junior User
Thanks -- threads are clear, it's the stuff where the arm attaches to the steering box that needs cleaning.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:36 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you don't have a strong enough impact wrench. Soak the nut and pitman shaft a couple times a day for a day or two with a good penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench or PBlaster, NOT WD40!)
With the steering box bolted to the frame: Lock the pitman arm vertical with a large C clamp along side and behind it on the vertical frame flange near the bottom of the flange, (watch for brake lines and/or wires on the inside of the frame) Don't try to break it loose with the gear box turned to the end of it's travel if you plan on reusing the box. Put a 6 point socket on the pitman shaft nut, preferably an impact socket or one that carries a "lifetime guarantee" in case it breaks, we are going to abuse it. If it doesn't break, you can always wipe it off and return it if you don't want to buy it... Using the same brand's long breaker bar, add a 2-3' long pipe "helper" over the handle. Arrange the wrench so the handle is horizontal or slightly pointed upwards. Now step on the end of the pipe with your foot. If it doesn't break loose, bounce on it. If that doesn't do it you are either turning it backwards (Lefty loosey) or it's so rusted it may never come off. In that case use a cutoff disk to score the nut ~ 1/2 way or more thru, then use a sharp cold chisel and BFH to split it by hitting it in the cut in a counter clockwise direction.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Jim 54 panel
Junior User
Thanks Ax -- only you could make the brute force method sound so elegant. I'll hit it a few more times with the Liquid Wrench and try the impact wrench this weekend. I just didn't expect it to resist the breaker bar. Although the truck is very rusty, this area was pretty well covered with greasy stuff, probably from the fluid leaking from the box.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim 54 panel
Thanks Ax -- only you could make the brute force method sound so elegant. I'll hit it a few more times with the Liquid Wrench and try the impact wrench this weekend. I just didn't expect it to resist the breaker bar. Although the truck is very rusty, this area was pretty well covered with greasy stuff, probably from the fluid leaking from the box.
If someone put fluid in it it would have definitely leaked, they were supposed to be filled with grease, not oil. If the seal is leaking anyhow, heat the nut up with the fire wrench then quench it a couple times. If that doesn't help loosen it, someone welded it on!
I have good impact wrenches, portable and air, but I also keep a couple lengths of pipe near my tool box, leverage can move the earth.
Story: My good (but very frugal) friend picked up an ancient Craftsman ratchet at a flea market for a couple bucks with a damaged gear in it. It was so old it had a wood covered handle. He took it to the store and asked for a replacement. The clerk looked at it and said it was older than my friend! (true!) and handed it back to him. My friend said without skipping a beat "OK, but my grandfather is going to be real mad if he has to bring it in himself!" The clerk looked at him for a moment and then handed him a brand new ratchet!