6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What is this "banjo-bolt" upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is this "banjo-bolt" upgrade?

I have an '05' and I have read in a couple of threads about this upgrade from the 6.4's but I can't seem to find reference or pics or part numbers as to "exactly" what it is? How long does it take to put these things in and can a regular semi-mechanical guy put them in?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
the 6.0 banjo bolt has some restrictors in it, the 6.4 banjos do not. These fit on the fuel line at the heads and thus open more flow to the injectors. I do not know how hard they are to install as I had mine done when I had the work done to R&R the oil cooler. Supposedly they can be done by the home mech. Also if you do these include the upgrade to the fuel pressure spring/regulator. My truck seems to run much better with good fuel flow with the banjo's. There are part numbers and a lot of discussion in the archives. do a search.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Tousley - 6.4L Banjo Bolts

They're bored out a bit and there's no check valve in the bolt. But it's probably a waste of $10 if you have the updated blue pressure spring installed and your fuel pressure is over 45psi at all times.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:51 PM
berick
Elder User
I was going to do the "blue-spring" mod and this banjo-bolt deal at the same time but have no idea what they look like, how many I need, where they go, or if a guy needs to be a mechanic to do the work. Some pics would be sweet.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:42 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,735 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

They're bored out a bit and there's no check valve in the bolt. But it's probably a waste of $10 if you have the updated blue pressure spring installed and your fuel pressure is over 45psi at all times.
+ 1 .

Old 05-28-2012, 02:42 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by berick
what they look like, how many I need, where they go.
Look at the pressure regulator on the secondary filter housing. Follow the two fuel lines to the front of each cylinder head. Remove the bolt that goes through the fuel line and into the head and replace. You need two, the $10 kit I linked to above. I don't know what the clearances are like, but the torque spec is 28 ft-lbs so a gear wrench should work. But again, not really going to do much.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:10 PM
berick
Elder User
Well if you guys figure it's not worth doing if I'm putting in the "blue-spring" mod, I will take your word on it and not bother. I want this thing to last another 10 years so I'm trying to stay ahead of any costly repairs.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a waste of money.

Get the blue spring update and a fuel pressure gauge and be done with it.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
phantomphixer
Senior User
Changed mine during blue spring upgrade. Don't know if it's the blue spring thing or the banjo bolts but it runs like a scalded cat. Banjo bolts can be seen on the front of each head. Drivers side is a pain to change plus you have to install new washers. 2 each if I remember correctly. Tousley's have the bolts and washers. Problem with driver's side is upper radiator hose is in the way. PM me and I'll send you a pic of the removed bolts showing the internal check valves.
My 06 DRW will break loose a four tires on payment since this mod. Don't normally do this but my buddies are impressed. All stock except for that and lost the kitty.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phantomphixer
Changed mine during blue spring upgrade. Don't know if it's the blue spring thing or the banjo bolts but it runs like a scalded cat. Banjo bolts can be seen on the front of each head. Drivers side is a pain to change plus you have to install new washers. 2 each if I remember correctly. Tousley's have the bolts and washers. Problem with driver's side is upper radiator hose is in the way. PM me and I'll send you a pic of the removed bolts showing the internal check valves.
My 06 DRW will break loose a four tires on payment since this mod. Don't normally do this but my buddies are impressed. All stock except for that and lost the kitty.
If this is true then the banjo bolts must be the difference. I noticed no difference whatsoever in driving, idling, accelerating, etc. after installing the blue spring. My fuel pressure gauge now reads 64psi at idle instead of 52psi, that's it.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM
berick
Elder User
Yeah, I'm not sold on what Phantom has mentioned as far as breaking the tires loose on a factory truck with these 2 mods. I think you must have a tune in there somewhere... either cpu or ficm.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by berick
Yeah, I'm not sold on what Phantom has mentioned as far as breaking the tires loose on a factory truck with these 2 mods. I think you must have a tune in there somewhere... either cpu or ficm.
I'd say it's the blue spring personally

I've been running the SRL tune for awhile and my truck is fiesty. I did the blue spring finally 1 month ago and the truck is downright mean now. Much better throttle response and butt dyno says it's pulling harder at higher RPM. I got a $250 ticket last month while "testing" out the new spring. I was burning 35" rubber for over 1 block when I finally noticed the LEO

I've already spent the $16 for the 6.4 banjo bolts...just need to put them in the motor

Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
phantomphixer
Senior User
OOps,
berick was right, I forgot the SCT 50hp tow tune. Been in there for a year and just forgot about it. My bust. I don't retune it for mileage due to the fact it's mostly used for towing the toy hauler. Good call to berick. Thanx for jolting my memory and keeping me honest.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Kert0307
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

Not necessarily. Think about it this way, you are reading the fuel pressure before the banjo bolts. If the banjo bolt is a restriction the pressure after the bolt will be lower than what you are reading before it on your gauge.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM
05 f250 6 inch lift
Elder User
I just took the check valve out of my stock banjo bolts when I had my head off during HG change. I don't know if it made a difference or not. But it's only a small snap ring that holds the check valve in there. Pop the snap ring out, tap bolt on table an all the insides fall out. Restriction got. Free flowing now.

Quick Reply: What is this "banjo-bolt" upgrade?