1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

changing front rotors what brand to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 AM
szotty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing front rotors what brand to get?

well i got my truck 3 years ago changed brakes asap when bought it bought carquest or napa rotors and pads since then they have warped badly so i cant decide which ones to get leaning toward powerslot but oem also look good to me what you all running for replacement rotors. rotors and pads still looking good just cant take the shaking when stopping.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by szotty
well i got my truck 3 years ago changed brakes asap when bought it bought carquest or napa rotors and pads since then they have warped badly so i cant decide which ones to get leaning toward powerslot but oem also look good to me what you all running for replacement rotors. rotors and pads still looking good just cant take the shaking when stopping.
The rotors may look OK from the outside, but I'd shine a light on the back side of the rotors and inspect them. The slide pins on the calipers are a common failure point, so the calipers just push outward on the rotors and create heat, noise, vibration, and premature wear. OEM rotors are great, they were designed for this beast. I ramped mine up (link in my signature) because I tow in the mountains, but it was expensive. Time and miles will let me know if I tossed too much salad.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not Napa... mine are warping after 25K and I don't use them wrong, I know how to drive.

I think I'm gonna get a set of the slotted one's Riffraff Diesel sells as well as the "green" pads.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM
szotty
Senior User
i replaced pins with new ones and cleaned the pin bore out really well and re greaed em up with new pins been good since. it all started when i was towing a tractor down hill think they got to hot and warped but they were run of mill rotors not oem or premiums

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
DemonRace6
Hi!
I replaced my fronts with powerslots and night hawk pads. I could not be happier. I tow a decent amount and about 15k.

I also had a problem with one of my calipers after I greased the pins, so I went and got new calipers from NAPA, only $60 each, worth it. Mine were sooo rusted.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cryo'ed Power Slots and HD hawk pads all the way.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Cell's
Senior User
Has anyone found that the slotted rotors get filled in from braking and that their stopping performance is weakening ??

Is drilled or slotted rotors better ?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cell's
Has anyone found that the slotted rotors get filled in from braking and that their stopping performance is weakening ??

Is drilled or slotted rotors better ?
I haven't had any issues with the power slots and Hawk pads, three years on them towing about 75K

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've run the cryo slotted rotors and hawk pads for around 100k now. No complaints. Stops better than stock. We put EBC yellow stuff on the wife's truck on standard rotors and it stops as well as my truck (but hers has a 4" lift). We put EBC yellow stuff on the Excursion with whatever rotors came with the last brake job and autozoo rear rotors and it stops better then either of our trucks.

I've never had an issue with warped rotors, but I try to keep an eye on my slide pins and make sure all 4 brakes are working properly. If you let 2 or 3 calipers start to stick, you're asking for trouble.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I ramped mine up (link in my signature) because I tow in the mountains, but it was expensive. Time and miles will let me know if I tossed too much salad.
Where did you get these? Was it a complete "set"/"kit" or did you piece everything together( rotors, pads, hardware)? I am very interested since mine is almost due.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got the EBC sport rotors and yellow stuff pads last week for the front. They look and work great. One thing is if you don't like noise these are not for you. The drilled and slotted rotors make a funny noise while spining. Has nothing to do with the pads I believe, I think its the slots making noise. Its not real loud butt if you are **** like some of us are about noises in your truck they may not be for you. The instructions even tell you if you don't like noise don't use them! They do look and work great if you don't mind the noise.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Originally Posted by jhand124
I haven't had any issues with the power slots and Hawk pads, three years on them towing about 75K
Damn 75k, I want to tow that much weight!

And again, power slots and Hawk pads

Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by microdevil45
Where did you get these? Was it a complete "set"/"kit" or did you piece everything together( rotors, pads, hardware)? I am very interested since mine is almost due.
Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
I got the EBC sport rotors and yellow stuff pads last week for the front. They look and work great. One thing is if you don't like noise these are not for you. The drilled and slotted rotors make a funny noise while spining. Has nothing to do with the pads I believe, I think its the slots making noise. Its not real loud butt if you are **** like some of us are about noises in your truck they may not be for you. The instructions even tell you if you don't like noise don't use them! They do look and work great if you don't mind the noise.
microdevil45 - You wouldn't believe where I bought mine - off the shelf at my local Ford stealership. I could have saved some money by getting them online, then shipping would grab back some of my money. As it was... I picked it up and plopped them in, instead of waiting with a dead truck (siezed back caliper piston). Another tip: I don't recommend the disks that are drilled all the way through, like you see on motorcycles. I've heard these crack and split... this makes sense to me with the gap between the two rotor faces and the forces involved.

Crewcab Turbo - Noise? I have never heard anyting from the brakes. These things are biased and have to be installed on the correct side or you could get a "thup" on the grooves. If you look at the photo of the driver-side rear in my previous post, do yours match this?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
The rotors may look OK from the outside, but I'd shine a light on the back side of the rotors and inspect them. The slide pins on the calipers are a common failure point, so the calipers just push outward on the rotors and create heat, noise, vibration, and premature wear. OEM rotors are great, they were designed for this beast. I ramped mine up (link in my signature) because I tow in the mountains, but it was expensive. Time and miles will let me know if I tossed too much salad.

Why do your calipers look so nice? What calipers are they?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Why do your calipers look so nice? What calipers are they?
Those were just freshly-installed remans I bought at the auto parts store. I had to replace every single brake part in the back because 11 years of weather and 1/4-million miles of road did 'em in.

Quick Reply: changing front rotors what brand to get?