6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Useless 6.0L Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Useless 6.0L Information

Early 2003 model years:

-Injector Connectors oriented 90* from newer model years.
-Turbo oil feed tube with STC quick release type connection to oil filter base.

Late 2003 model years:

-Injector connectors oriented in a more serviceable position.
-Turbo oil feel tube secured to oil filter base with 8mm bolt.

Early 2004 model years:

-Late 2003 engine

Mid 2004 model years:

-Shorter glow plugs now used, to accomodate the change in piston design.
-EGR throttle plate introduced to help improve EGR flow into intake.
-ICP sensor relocated to passenger side valve cover.
-High pressure oil rail redesigned to "wavy" style requiring 1/2" square drive to service dummy rail plugs and standpipes.
-FICM bracket redesigned to two-piece stamped steel type.
-EGR cooler redesigned to "square" shape intended to improve EGR cooling performance.
-Water pump impeller increased 10mm in diameter from previous model year, and thus the accompanying engine front cover redesign needed to accomodate the larger pump.

Late 2004 model years:

-GPCM re-oriented 90* and thus the change in the GPCM mounting bracket.
-rocker arm pivots changed to plastic pivots to replace the previous wavy metal style.

Early 2005 model years:

-High pressure oil pump redesigned to a cast iron V-4 type to replace the previous aluminum swash plate type pump, along with the different style pump cover.
-EGR throttle plate deleted.

Late 2005 model years:

-EBP sensor and tube redesigned and relocated. Sensor now secured to front FICM mounting bracket, instead of over top of T-Stat housing.
-Dummy rail plugs and standpipes require 10mm allen head to service, to replace the earlier style needing a 1/2" square drive to service.
-MAF sensor deleted.
-EGR cooler heat shield no longer used.

Early 2006 model years:

-MAF sensor re-introduced.

Late 2006 model years:

-20mm cylinder head dowels used, replacing previous 18mm dowels.
-Oil dipstick and tube redeisgned from previous "T handle" type to yellow circle type.
-Driver side cylinder head engine lifting bracket redesigned.
-FICM mounting now uses four "UFO" shaped type nuts to secure FICM to bracket as opposed to upper plates on previous model years.
-Air intake tube to turbo redesigned, no longer secured to front FICM mounting bracket.
-Turbo oil supply tube redesigned to solid metal type to replace previous flexible type.

2007 model years:

-Identical to late 2006 model years.

Does anyone else have anything to add or comment on?

Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Mike why would you call it Useless info?? a touch of Sarcasim LOL

Good Stuff IMO

The Early 03 owners should be aware that the turbo supply line diffrences cuz its NOT a SLAM Dunk to install the updated turbo oil supply if you are one that has the STC Turbo oil supply you CANNOT install the updated supply without changing the Oil Cooler Housing

GREAT STUFF MIKE Thanks for posting Reps Given

Can you or anyone shed alittle light on the deal with the 2003 EBP Sensor???
Like was it used at first then Taken out the stratigy if owner got a Diffrent Flash/Stratigy
Or was it NOT Used at all

I just hear diffrent stories about the EBP on the early model 6.0L

And I know My SGII wont pick up anything for a EBP Sensor PID

Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Can you or anyone shed alittle light on the deal with the 2003 EBP Sensor???
Like was it used at first then Taken out the stratigy if owner got a Diffrent Flash/Stratigy
Or was it NOT Used at all

I just hear diffrent stories about the EBP on the early model 6.0L

And I know My SGII wont pick up anything for a EBP Sensor PID
Back when FSA 06E17 was released to 2003 and early 2004 owners, Ford in their infinite wisdom decided that EBP input was not the best method for determining the appropriate turbo boost needed. So, post-06E17 flashes introduced using "inferred EBP" as the strategy. This meant that MAF, MAP, engine load etc. was now going to be the primary inputs to determine appropriate turbo boost under certain conditions which also caused complaints of some driveability issues that weren't previously present. I believe that part of a change in that strategy included eliminating split shot injection as an attempt to reduce injector failure claims back they were within warranty.

Since then, MANY updates were later released and so far with very few complaints.

Yet, beginning in late 2004 EBP input was re-introduced as the primary input to determining turbo boost. Go figure.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Back when FSA 06E17 was released to 2003 and early 2004 owners, Ford in their infinite wisdom decided that EBP input was not the best method for determining the appropriate turbo boost needed. So, post-06E17 flashes introduced using "inferred EBP" as the strategy. This meant that MAF, MAP, engine load etc. was now going to be the primary inputs to determine appropriate turbo boost under certain conditions which also caused complaints of some driveability issues that weren't previously present. I believe that part of a change in that strategy included eliminating split shot injection as an attempt to reduce injector failure claims back they were within warranty.

Since then, MANY updates were later released and so far with very few complaints.

Yet, beginning in late 2004 EBP input was re-introduced as the primary input to determining turbo boost. Go figure.

Thanks for the Info Mike