Sponsored by:

Edge Insight CTS mounting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Junx69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Insight CTS mounting issue

Hey everyone. I got a Edge Insight CTS today to keep an eye on everything in my 05 X 6.0L. I got the dash pod and adapter for CTS. While test fitting everything it seems my grab handle will not allow everything to fit and line up correctly. When I wedge it in there it distorts the pod slightly and just doesn't look as tight as when I put the pod on the dash without the CTS in it.

I tried searching and I'm mainly seeing folks with King Ranch trucks having the same issue and they wedge it in there but from the pics I'm seeing their dash and pods are just slightly different. I'm wondering if anyone here worked it out. was any modifying of the pod needed?

Speaking of modifying the pod, anyone with an 05 with the black/tan two tone dash use an Edge dash pod? If so, did you paint it tan or black? I'm leaning towards black since it mostly fits up to the black trim of the dash and the black color will help hide small gaps a bit better than the tan will, or so I'm hoping.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM
ToysRUs
Senior User
I just finished installing my pod in the exact truck.
I removed the grab handle and then reinstalled it after I had the pod and Insight in.
I'll go down and take a few pictures.

Ok,
So I used Black trim paint from SEM paints, you can get it at OReillys. It is a close black match and the pod mostly sits on the black part anyhow.
It is not the Charcoal Black color the dash is but it was close enough for me.
I mounted the pod as the directions mostly said.
The gasket and the adapter is difficult. I could not install the Insight without removing the grab handle. The rca cable for the back up cam got in the way when the grab handle was on.
You should not have to modify the pod.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Junx69
Junior User
Awesome, ToysRus. I truly appreciate the time spent taking pics. Reps sent.

I'm going to take the handle off tomorrow and test fit it. It still seems like it will be in the way but my hopes are high now. It sucks the SEM paint didn't quite match up. That's what I was leaning towards using over the Krylon stuff but oh well. I had thought about maybe trimming one little tab on the CTS adapter so it will slide further in to the slots on the back of the unit itself and the CTS will sit a bit lower but I'm worried about clearance for the RCA jack for the camera (I'm putting a front mount camera on mine since I have rear view on my Pioneer AVIC). You'd think with the time this stuff has been on the market Edge would either make a slightly shorter pod version for those of us with grab handles. I'm surprised they haven't come out with a CTS specific pod instead of relying on the adapter as I'm sure the CTS outsells the CS but I could be wrong.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM
ToysRUs
Senior User
Originally Posted by Junx69
Awesome, ToysRus. I truly appreciate the time spent taking pics. Reps sent.

I'm going to take the handle off tomorrow and test fit it. It still seems like it will be in the way but my hopes are high now. It sucks the SEM paint didn't quite match up. That's what I was leaning towards using over the Krylon stuff but oh well. I had thought about maybe trimming one little tab on the CTS adapter so it will slide further in to the slots on the back of the unit itself and the CTS will sit a bit lower but I'm worried about clearance for the RCA jack for the camera (I'm putting a front mount camera on mine since I have rear view on my Pioneer AVIC). You'd think with the time this stuff has been on the market Edge would either make a slightly shorter pod version for those of us with grab handles. I'm surprised they haven't come out with a CTS specific pod instead of relying on the adapter as I'm sure the CTS outsells the CS but I could be wrong.
I hear ya.
Don't try and make the unit sit lower if you want the rca plug to fit.
I did have to trim all of the flange pieces off the gasket to get all the plugs to fit.
You can probably find the Charcoal Black color if you have time and want to order it.
Just take your time and park the truck in the shade! I didn't and it was hot today.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Junx69
Junior User
What color of SEM paint did you use? I stopped by a store that sells it today and the closest color i saw was satin black. I was looking for charcoal black but they dont have that specifically.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
ToysRUs
Senior User
Called "Trim Black" OReillys keeps it in the back. No one else but them carry it here in Nashville.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Junx69
Junior User
Cool, all I can find around me is the SEM Satin Black. I've read elsewhere on the inter webs that Landau Black from SEM is another option but I think i'm going to pull the trigger on the satin black since its on a retail shelf locally. I'll report back results.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 PM
ToysRUs
Senior User
Well??? It's been 3 days, what happened? Get it installed yet?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Junx69
Junior User
I know, i'm falling behind, haha. Yep, got it mounted. The SEM satin black didn't exactly match the stock Charcoal color. Its darker but the lack of sheen from being Satin helps it blend a little better. Thanks for the tip with the handle, it worked out fine. Just out of curiosity, did your grab handle have 2 phillips head screws also holding it to the A pillar trim? After unbolting it mine didn't fall right off. after inspection i found each end of the handle had a screw holding it to the trim. Thank goodness I didn't go all Hulk on it and start prying it out of there, I would have been ticked.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 AM
ToysRUs
Senior User
Originally Posted by Junx69
I know, i'm falling behind, haha. Yep, got it mounted. The SEM satin black didn't exactly match the stock Charcoal color. Its darker but the lack of sheen from being Satin helps it blend a little better. Thanks for the tip with the handle, it worked out fine. Just out of curiosity, did your grab handle have 2 phillips head screws also holding it to the A pillar trim? After unbolting it mine didn't fall right off. after inspection i found each end of the handle had a screw holding it to the trim. Thank goodness I didn't go all Hulk on it and start prying it out of there, I would have been ticked.
Yes it had the two phillips heads. Forgot all about them I guess because I immediately threw them away.
Glad you got it all installed.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Junx69
Junior User
Originally Posted by ToysRUs
Yes it had the two phillips heads. Forgot all about them I guess because I immediately threw them away.
Glad you got it all installed.
Ah so you trashed those screws? Did you notice any gap or anything between the trim and the handle? I thought about removing them and definitely will next time I have that handle off. The only reason I could figure those were there was to tight up maybe a slight gap but then again its not like panel fitment on these trucks is that exact. Hell, they are probably there to drive sales of new trim panels to the poor suckers that just rip it off after the bolts are out, haha.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
ToysRUs
Senior User
No Gap.
Didn't think that for ahead just tossed them.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 PM
popups4rent
Senior User
I really like the pod with adapter more than I thought I would in your pictures. Maybe I will try it. At the moment mine is double sided taped right under the grab handle.

Is your backup camera bright enough? My screen goes very dim when in reverse, almost making the camera unusable.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 AM
ToysRUs
Senior User
My back up camera works great.
It's a ccd type sensor so it has a much better picture than a cmos one.
Here is where I got it.
CCD LICENSE PLATE IR WIDE ANGLE REAR VIEW BACKUP CAMERA | eBay