Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Jknapp79
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector questions.

i have been reading all i seem to be able to find on injectors that i can, but i have a few questions that still dont seem to have an answer. only reading on injectors as my truck acts like 2 of the injectors are bad, and as i remember, i think i may have ha a leaky injector for the entire time i have owned the truck, and just not known any better.

i had the local ford diesel tech stop by with the scantool, and he did a few tests with the tool and came up with #1 and #3 cylinders not performing. he did a buzz test and i think a contribution test. not sure as i didnt ask but i know i heard the buzz test.

anyhow, on to the questions.

1. is there one brand recommended over any other. (the ford tech was pretty excited about the ford injectors.)

2. i drive mostly street, to and from work, but at work i pull boats to and from the lakes around here, for testing purposes. and am looking at possibly getting a camper at some point in the next few years, should i get stock injectors, or should i step up to stage 1 injectors, or possibly stage 2's

3. my truck is mostly stock, early 99 (build date is around 04/98) i have a 4" exhaust, and a bullydog triple dog tuner. is there anything else i would "need" to have to goto a stage 1 or 2 injector?

4. i have been looking at swamps 175/146 single shot injectors, mainly because of the warranty. are these injectors considered stage 1? and would my HPOP be able to handle these injectors?

in all the reading i have done i dont remember seeing a "what injector should i buy" post, but i may have overlooked it too, as i have been more worried about what is wrong with the truck.

My plan is for tomarrow to do the electrical tests on the harnesses to make sure there is not just a bad connection somewhere. but i have a feeling that with 260,000 miles, the injectors are just shot. but first, electrical, then compression, then onto injectors.

i found what i was looking for on this. also, can anyone point me in the right direction to see some instructions on replaceing the injectors? pretty sure i know how they come out, just want to make sure, it goes back together correctly.

thanks
josh

Last edited by Jknapp79; 04-24-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: found it!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of getting into details as to whether or not you need injectors I will just try to offer my opinion on your questions/concerns.

1. Either New Allied(which is what Ford put in them) or from a reputable rebuilder such as Swamps, Full Force, or Rosewood.

2. This is the point where you really need to decide what you want to do. Depending on tuning and injectors, more supporting mods could be required, and on an Early 99 they can cost a little more. Bigger injectors without turbo upgrades and improper tuning could cause high EGT's. A great towing setup I would recommend for reliability would be 160cc stock nozzle NEW Allieds like these Riffraff Diesel: NEW Stage 1 Single Shot Injectors they are similar to the 175/146 from Swamps but are "New" vs rebuilt although Dave is offering a good warranty. And here are some more options to consider from Clay Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Full Force Diesel / Casserly

3. You will need custom tuning, and I do not know of anyone that can write tunes for the Bullydog. Stage 1's you would benefit from turbo upgrades but they might not be "needed" Stage 2's your getting into a lot of fuel and not that much air from a stock turbo.

4. I try not to get hung up on the Stage classifications, rather I look at what CC of fuel and nozzle size instead. Since they are single shot your HPOP if healthy right now would likely support those injectors without upgrades and proper tuning. I fuess I didn't answer your question though, those would be stage 1's

The injectors go in the same way they come out, I do not pull the plugs in the heads, I just install the injector back in, leave the glowplugs out, put the valve covers back on with a couple of bolts and crank the motor for 30 seconds or so, until there is not any noise of fluids coming out. Here is a good write-up though. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...rs-are-in.html

Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 AM
valiant500hp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 02 with Casserly (Full Force) Stage II injectors with no fuel mods and a stock turbo. It beats the hell out of the turbo and the engine can spike 1600 degrees really quick.

If you are going with Stage II's, get a turbo upgrade also.

Full Force Diesel is my recommendation. Ryan Casserly and Matt at Full Force are both awesome and helpful dudes!

Ryan