1987 Ford Ranger Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Diana33
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Ford Ranger Problems

Hello

I am new to the forum and have joined hoping to get some answers to a problem we have with our 87 Ford Ranger.

The truck belongs to my husband but since he cannot write in English I will try my best to explain the problem.

First of all let me state that we have asked tons of professionals in our area and they cannot seem to solve the issue. Also, I am no professional in auto parts and my English is not that good either so if I make a mistake on trying to explain please excuse me.

Some time ago the clutch suddenly started feeling very soft, but only at times, then it would automatically harden up again, and well, we continued to use the truck like that for a while..

Shortly after this problem started (a few days or so) we were on the road and the clutch stopped functioning, it got soft again and we could not continue driving so we pulled over and noticed that all the fluid had leaked out some how, and the little cylinder that contains the fluid was empty so we bought some more fluid and refilled it.

That did not solve the problem, so we towed the truck home and consulted a professional. After having a look, the professional stated that we may need to change the the slave cylinder so we purchased it, installed it, we did the bleeding and still nothing.

We once again consulted the professional and this next time he stated that we purchase the other cylinder (here where we live one of the cylinders is known as the slave cylinder and the other as the master cylinder) so I hope I am exaplining myself when reffering to the two cylinders.

Anyway's we purchased and changed both cylinders and did all the bleeding process once again and still nothing. We do notice that after doing the bleeding the clutch will get semi hard. We turn on the truck it will advance in first and then the clutch will get soft again.

So again, we consulted the professional and he stated this time that we may need to change the pressure plate.

We have purchased the pressure plate, installed it did all the bleeding process again and again and still nothing.

My question is, what else could it be?

The clutch remains soft, we have done the bleeding process over and over again so we have no clue as to what else it could be.

Any tips, clues, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Diana

Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Only thing that comes to my mind is the possibility of a collapsed hydraulic hose. A rubber one near the slave cylinder on the transmission. Really that is about all that is left to replace. The hose may have came apart inside and can't be seen to be bad.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Diana33
New User
Thank you so much for the reply.

I am not sure, but maybe he has not checked the hose. We will definitely have a look and see. As we have no more clues we will probably just go ahead and change it ...will let you know if it works..

Thanks again..

Diana

Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you still have air in the system. These are normally a pain to bleed. What is your bleeding procedure?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by critterf1
Sounds like you still have air in the system. These are normally a pain to bleed. What is your bleeding procedure?
I was thinking that also. I have the file telling how to bleed it but can't locate it right now. I got it from a member on here. It's really a pain. Try Goggling it.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Diana33
New User
Originally Posted by critterf1

Thanks for the reply

Yes, you are correct, as I have read on so many sites, the bleeding process can be a pain and is what we have suspected we are probably doing wrong in the first place. So we have continued trying for days and days with no luck.

We have completed this process at least 20 to 30 times already..

We do it as follows:

We place a piece of hose onto the bleed screw logically leaving the other end placed in an empty container.

We loosen the slave cylinder bleed screw using a wrench, we leave the bleed screw open until a steady stream of fluid flows out of the hose.

We then tighten the bleed screw. I will get into the car and push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and will hold the clutch pedal to the floor for a couple of seconds. then release the pedal completely.

We reapeat this process at least 10 times.

My husband then instructs me to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there. He loosens the bleed screw. and leaves the bleed screw open until all of the excess air escapes or until he views a steady stream of fluid flowing from the hose. He then tightens the screw and instructs me to release the clutch.

I think that is it...Are we doing it wrong?

Anyway's, can not buy and replace the hose that arctic mentioned above until later this evening or tomarrow morning as we are both at work right now. But if another bleeding does'nt do the trick we will definitely buy the hose and see how luck go's...

Thanks so much for the replies..

Diana

Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I have always put some fluid in the container to make sure that NO air is sucked back in. I will look more for the bleed instructions I think I still have.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Diana33
New User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I have always put some fluid in the container to make sure that NO air is sucked back in. I will look more for the bleed instructions I think I still have.
OK, that was probably the problem as we would only use an empty container. I do recall reading about how to properly bleed and did see that we should add fluid to the container but nor I or he paid much attention to this. I did mention this to my husband and remembered he stated that he closes the bleed screw right away and did not think that air could be sucked back in.

But, he was wrong..

We did the process again last night and this time I told him to add liquid to the empty container. We re did the process about three times and voila, the clutch began feeling firm right away.

We took it for a test drive and it is smoother then ever.. Cluth is working just fine now.

Thanks a million for the advice as little details sometimes make a whole big difference...

Well I sure can say one thing, I learned lots about auto parts and how they work during the whole time...

Diana

Old 04-22-2012, 03:09 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Way Cool Thanks Glad to help

Old 04-22-2012, 04:57 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Diana,

You and your husband are commended for your patience and persistence in getting your clutch problem solved. It is good to know that the clutch is working the way it should.

Arty y block, my hat is off to you as well for your patience in working with Diana and her husband on their clutch problem.

This is what makes FTE such a great site.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Diana33
New User
Originally Posted by michigan66
Hello Diana,

You and your husband are commended for your patience and persistence in getting your clutch problem solved. It is good to know that the clutch is working the way it should.

Arty y block, my hat is off to you as well for your patience in working with Diana and her husband on their clutch problem.

This is what makes FTE such a great site.
Hello Michigan,

Thank you. I agree, I found that the forum is a great place and the people who help out are even better!

Thanks to everyone again..

Diana

Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Well don't you folks be strangers now that your truck is fixed. We have a club for paid members that pretty much anything goes in. And there are forums here for most everything. Not just trucks. Like General Automotive I think where ya can ask about any car or truck. Ect. Ect