Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

got some new (load rated!) tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 AM
6.9 diesel nut
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh. My front tires call for 45 PSI max. I just tested them yesterday and they read 50 PSI. Is that normal practice? I don't know about the back, which are in pretty bad shape. Come to think of it, all are not in very good shape. I'll eventually put some BF All Terrains on it.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.9 diesel nut
Huh. My front tires call for 45 PSI max. I just tested them yesterday and they read 50 PSI. Is that normal practice? I don't know about the back, which are in pretty bad shape. Come to think of it, all are not in very good shape. I'll eventually put some BF All Terrains on it.
Does it say that right on the tire? are they regular 16'' tires or do they say 16E on them. You want nothing less then a 16E. The E means load range E with a 10ply rating.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 84-6.9L
Does it say that right on the tire? are they regular 16'' tires or do they say 16E on them. You want nothing less then a 16E. The E means load range E with a 10ply rating.
Not necessarily, if you dont haul or tow much with it, 6 or 8 plys are fine (C or D rated) just make sure whatever you haul / tow doesnt exceed the max load rating and make sure they are aired appropriately.

50lbs in a 45lb tire (6ply or C) is a no no, never go over. Whoever aired them up probably didnt pay attention and just assumed they were E-rated which are good up 80lbs.

Basically you figure 10lbs per ply, so 10 ply tire is good for 100lbs, BUT, you have to factor in the tire getting warm from driving, radiant heat, etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My F150 has P rated tires, witch is actually the factory stock size. P235/75R15.

It's just a basic 2wd 6cyl truck, that hardly ever gets loaded with anything, so they're fine.

I run 'em at 35psi front and 30 rear. That way, they wear down perfectly flat.

My van has Load range E 6 ply tires LT235/85 tires, rated for 80psi. I run 'em all 4 at 60psi.

On the motorhome, it's got 215/85 tires, E load, 10 ply's, and run 80psi up front, and 75psi in the 4 back ones. All wearing down nice and flat like that. It is a heavy pig....

Old 04-13-2012, 11:58 AM
6.9 diesel nut
Senior User
Well, I just checked. The fronts are made in Korea.It says it has: Tread=2 steel+2 polyester+1 nylon. Side wall is 2 polyester. Added up is a 7 ply tire, I think. Max load is 2403 LBS@ 44PSI Max. They are not in good shape. Most of the tread is used up and one has a bulge in it. They also look squashed. The inner rear tires are even worse. One is worn to the ware bar and the other is slightly beyond the ware bar. The outer tires are still OK, but they don't have much tread left either. I didn't check the rear tires' PSI. I do know that outer tires are load range E and they are made in the USA.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
The tires that came on my truck were bulged, squashed down, and were soft as butter in the corners. i was over max weight limit with only 4 people in the truck.
New e loads stay nuce and round
So for daily unloaded driving for e load tires-60 psi front and rear ok? More/less?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Tire ratings have changed over the years. Previously, the rating was the ply count (usually cotton plies) but that was replaced with the letter system. Load range D replaced the six ply rating, load range E replaced 8 ply, F replaced 10ply, etc. This was done because as tires transitioned to radials and synthetic materials, fewer plies were needed to achieve the same load capacity.
P type tires are typically a four ply rating, load range C. Not enough for a truck, nothing less than LT tires should be used on a light truck.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:25 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Well, I just checked. The fronts are made in Korea.It says it has: Tread=2 steel+2 polyester+1 nylon. Side wall is 2 polyester. Added up is a 7 ply tire, I think. Max load is 2403 LBS@ 44PSI Max. They are not in good shape. Most of the tread is used up and one has a bulge in it. They also look squashed. The inner rear tires are even worse. One is worn to the ware bar and the other is slightly beyond the ware bar. The outer tires are still OK, but they don't have much tread left either. I didn't check the rear tires' PSI. I do know that outer tires are load range E and they are made in the USA.
GET NEW TIRES NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

that bulge you speak of is a belt sepreation. it could blow just sitting in your driveway.

Really guys? you are willing to get something less than load E tires? i really see it all the time at work. guys come in with F-350's rolling on under rated tires. these trucks are meant to be worked and they have the ability to haul/tow big loads. if you are looking to get lighter duty tires b/c you don't tow/haul much then get a lighter duty truck.

now that i work at a tire store it is sickening to see how much people are willing to skimp out on quality tires and getting the right tires for there application. why on earth would one want to go to a junk yard for a set of tires?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM
6.9 diesel nut
Senior User
When I get the drive train down pat, The tires are next. It is going to take some green stuff, lots of it. Something very hard to come by, but it's still ain't worth a blowout.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Bulge "in" is okay, bulge out is real bad.. the tires you have are 5 plys, or would be 6 ply rated, aka C's. One important thing to remember on a dually, always run matched tires on the duals, at matched pressure. otherwise you get scuffing and heat which leads to bald or blown tires.

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Tire ratings have changed over the years. Previously, the rating was the ply count (usually cotton plies) but that was replaced with the letter system. Load range D replaced the six ply rating, load range E replaced 8 ply, F replaced 10ply, etc. This was done because as tires transitioned to radials and synthetic materials, fewer plies were needed to achieve the same load capacity.
P type tires are typically a four ply rating, load range C. Not enough for a truck, nothing less than LT tires should be used on a light truck.
Youre right.. mostly, one off in fact. P rated tires (passenger) = 4 ply rated, C's are 6 ply rated, D are 8 ply, E 10, F 12, G14, im sure it keeps going but those i know for sure. They do not make a P rated tire for a 16" wheel, just like you cannot get a heavier tire than C rated for 15" wheels, 14s and smaller are P rated only, unless they are special service tires.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
They make plenty of P rated 16" tires, and they make LT tires in 13 and 14"

I worked in a garage, did plenty of tires, seen 'em all. lol

Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by '94IDITurbo7.3
getting the right tires for there application.
Precisely... So why would someone who only uses their pickup for hauling yard debris to the dump, moving furniture and hunting spend the extra cash for tires they dont need??

Getting E rated tires only because the truck can haul that much is like saying only drive your truck if youre pulling exactly 15k.. or whatever the max GVWR is.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
They make plenty of P rated 16" tires, and they make LT tires in 13 and 14"

I worked in a garage, did plenty of tires, seen 'em all. lol
Thats news to me... ive worked at two tire dealers and am a certified brake suspension and alignment tech and never seen nor heard of such tires... then again cant think of anything that i would put those tires on either so that might be why. In fact, a local sod farm has some of those jap made mini pickups with 13 or 14" wheels and they have nightmarish flat problems because the tires are only 4 ply, and i remember looking hi and low for something heavier, only thing we ever found were 6 ply 4wheeler tires, but being such they have nowhere near the required load rating. If you dont mind, link some please so i can let em know, i dont work at Les Schwab anymore but theyre neigbors kinda.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
The LT 14" ones were on a 1974 VW van, and the 13" were on an old Datsun pick up. I've seen some LT 13" tires on trailers to.

Most SUV's take sizes like P245/60R16 or minivans.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Now I run my load range E 235/85/16 Michelin LTX AT-2's at 80psi all the time and they wear nice and even but I must tow enough, but I leave them there always because its too much of a pain in the butt to forever be airing up or down. And the G range I have on the trailer stay at 110psi as well.

Quick Reply: got some new (load rated!) tires