1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GCWR opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GCWR opinion

I have an '03 F250 recently converted to 4wd using ALL undercarriage parts from an '06 F250 FX4. My original GCWR was 20k. Now, all parts involved in suspension and stoppage of the truck are from the '06 which has a GCWR of 23k. What is my GCWR? Do I have an argument for the higher GCWR in the event that I get stopped? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Your GCWR is 20k. Suspension and brakes are not the only factors in determining GCWR. So is performance, cooling, etc.

You also may note that nowhere on the truck does it state GCWR.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Your GCWR is 20k. Suspension and brakes are not the only factors in determining GCWR. So is performance, cooling, etc.

You also may note that nowhere on the truck does it state GCWR.
Thanks for replying. What did you mean by the last comment about not being listed on the truck? Just general info, or is that an important point? Also, the truck is a 6 liter diesel, as is the donor truck. Is there any difference in performance or cooling between these 2 trucks, or for that matter an F350 with the same engine? I'm not trying to be difficult, but rather gathering information. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't really matter what your GCWR is. GCWR is not a legal limit.

GVWR is a legal limit and isn't changed because ofvthe mods you did. As long as your truck isn't over its GVWR and the trailer isn't over its GVWR, you aren't breaking any laws.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by kd0axs

GVWR is a legal limit and isn't changed because ofvthe mods you did. As long as your truck isn't over its GVWR and the trailer isn't over its GVWR, you aren't breaking any laws.
Unfortunately, it appears that I just about can't haul anything as the GVWR is only 8800# for an '03 F250. My truck pushes 8k now. The family and a 4-wheeler is technically illegal.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselVol
Thanks for replying. What did you mean by the last comment about not being listed on the truck?
This is what I was getting at:
Originally Posted by DieselVol
Is there any difference in performance or cooling between these 2 trucks, or for that matter an F350 with the same engine? I'm not trying to be difficult, but rather gathering information. Thanks.
I believe they are all the same. The trans cooler changed sizes in 2005, but the cooling capacity is the same on each

Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
GVWR isn't necessarily a legal limit either. It depends on the state laws. I've carried a 3000 pound slide in camper in my truck that has a GVWR of 8800 and weighs about 7500 empty. I've spent a great deal of time looking through Oregon laws and have never found anything that says that was illegal.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
GVWR isn't necessarily a legal limit either. It depends on the state laws. I've carried a 3000 pound slide in camper in my truck that has a GVWR of 8800 and weighs about 7500 empty. I've spent a great deal of time looking through Oregon laws and have never found anything that says that was illegal.
I'm not so sure that it's cut and dried that my GCWR is 20k. Most legal points are argued in court (not that I want to go there), but I think I have an argument that it should be 23k. All the parts are there, plus some extra heavy duty parts on top of that.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm not going to debate legalities but unless you are using the truck commercially I doubt you'll have an issue. I see ford rangers ALL the time resting on the bump stops with stuff piled higher than the cab. If you use it for a business....could be problematic. Also remember the added weight of the t-case, driveshaft, and 4x4 axle now count against that GVWR.
Worst case scenario someone gets in a serious accident and a lawyer finds out you are over GVWR or GCWR could spell trouble. Likely?? I don't know but just thinking. Read that in a truck mag.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I don't think I would get to wrapped around the axle over this. You could re-register it perhaps for a higher amount.

Mine is registered for 12K. Cost me an extra 12 bucks during the registration period and there is a self inspection and form that has to be filled out for my state but that is real simple.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
I'm not going to debate legalities but unless you are using the truck commercially I doubt you'll have an issue. I see ford rangers ALL the time resting on the bump stops with stuff piled higher than the cab. If you use it for a business....could be problematic. Also remember the added weight of the t-case, driveshaft, and 4x4 axle now count against that GVWR.
Worst case scenario someone gets in a serious accident and a lawyer finds out you are over GVWR or GCWR could spell trouble. Likely?? I don't know but just thinking. Read that in a truck mag.
Yep, that is likely and my biggest concern. However, this is where MY lawyer would best be able to argue my point. Arguing with the officer in the unlikely event that I just get pulled over will probably get me nowhere.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by senix
I don't think I would get to wrapped around the axle over this. You could re-register it perhaps for a higher amount.

Mine is registered for 12K. Cost me an extra 12 bucks during the registration period and there is a self inspection and form that has to be filled out for my state but that is real simple.
Contacting the state DOT is my next move. Not sure my state allows for such, but I'd rather get legal, if possible.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this is another one of those things that's going to vary by state, so you might want to research your local laws.

I actually just spent a while looking through the laws here in MN and I can't find any law that specifically prohibits exceeding your GVWR.

Here are the only weights I can find that are illegal to exceed :

1. The GVW on your registration

2. 20,000 lbs per axle on a paved road

3. 18,000 lbs per axle on an unpaved road

4. 10,000 lbs per tire

5. The rated weight capacity of your tires (listed on the sidewall)

6. 500 lbs per inch of tire width

7. Any posted weight limit on a specific road

Last edited by kd0axs; 03-22-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I had that talk with several DOT officers in California and there is no such thing as technically legal GCVW.
What the Police care about is how much allowed weight you are PAYING FOR. Meaning if you put 25,000 lb sticker on Ranger and haul 25,000lb without making situation -the Police have no business to stop you.
Lot of 1-ton pickup are used commercially for pulling 25,000 to 30,000 gooseneck trailers.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I think this is another one of those things that's going to vary by state, so you might want to research your local laws.

I actually just spent a while looking through the laws here in MN and I can't find any law that specifically prohibits exceeding your GVWR. The only weights I can find that are illegal to exceed are the weight on your registration and the weight limit of your tires.
Exactly!

That is why I have 12K on the truck. Here in MD trailers have their own registrations.

Quick Reply: GCWR opinion